Speaker recommendations?

What's Hot
I'm going to make a new (combo) cab for my modded Harley Benton GA5 (Epi Valve Jnr clone). Any suggestions for a 12", or maybe 10" speaker? - Cheap, as it's just a daft project, but not utter shite.
Trading feedback: Trading feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Or... Assuming I'm buying new, how much do I need to spend to get something reasonable?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    To make the amp as loud as possible (for clean headroom or stage volume), or as quiet as possible (for overdriving it at reasonable volume)?

To 'enhance' the natural 'character' (all mid, no treble, not much bass) of the amp, or attempt to counteract it?

Small as possible cabinet or something bigger?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks for the reply @ICBM ;

Damn, I have to think about what I want it to sound like? This is more or less just an excuse to build a silly looking cab.

But okay, let's go with the 'enhance' option - in it's current state it sounds quite 'nice', but like it's going through a small cheap speaker - so basically as is, but 'bigger'

No expectation of using it on stage, but I'd go with something more efficient to get the most out of the cleans if I had a choice. It will mainly be used with low output pickups.

Cabinet size is whatever I make it, but I'd want to keep it compact (and open-backed).
    OK... so...

Fairly midrangy, not scooped. Reasonable amount of bottom end. Not necessarily too much top.

Efficient but not ridiculously so.

Needs to work well in a small open-back cab.

Cheap.

... Celestion Seventy/80.

Usually disliked - including by me! - because it's a bit dull and middy, without a lot of character. But being honest it's not truly terrible, just that other more expensive speakers are better. It's reasonably efficient (98dB) but without the shouty, overbearing character of the V30 and works better with low-powered amps and small cabinets.

And it's only £55 new, or even less if you buy one of the many second-hand ones people have taken out of other cabs :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks - I appreciate the considered response. I'll keep an eye out.

As there's a risk that I might just grab a bargain if something comes up, any particular brands/types I should avoid?
    edited December 2018
    FatPete said:

As there's a risk that I might just grab a bargain if something comes up, any particular brands/types I should avoid?
    Not much other than the V30 - which is least good in small open-back cabs with midrangy low-powered amps. Quite why so many companies seem to use it exactly like that I have no idea... other than for sheer volume. It *is* loud, but it's one of the few speakers which really needs to be pushed harder to sound really good, and needs an amp with a lot of bottom-end, scooped mids and a cab with more internal volume to soften the shouty midrange spike.

If you're interested in 10"s, avoid the G10 Vintage for the same reason - it's essentially a miniature V30.

Also avoid the G12E-50/Rocket 50 - unless you want to strangle the sound of your amp... it's good for that :).