What (guitar related or otherwise) did you get for Christmas?

What's Hot
strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
I got pretty much nothing guitar related other than a couple of packets of strings.
As some will know from this thread http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/139962/the-big-strtdv-back-garden-landscaping-project-pic-heavy#latest
I've been doing a lot of work in the garden this year which is now pretty much finished, so I bought a nice Weber grill to help with entertaining once spring arrives. I got quite a lot of grill related kit, including a griddle plate and a rotisserie.

I also got quite a few clothes, which was great as I hate clothes shopping for myself.

What did everyone get?
Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NikcNikc Frets: 627
    New neck and neck plate.
  • Nikc said:
    New neck and neck plate.
    That sounds like significant surgery....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    So, we sat about with boxes and bags of gaily coloured wrapped presents and I get handed three envelopes... one was a card from my Mother's neighbour. another from her friend and the other from my Mother... not even any fucking socks to unwrap... cheers Mum!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Only guitar thing I got was a book on the history of the electric guitar, to be fair none of my family would know what to buy. 

Favourite te present was a cast iron frying pan, least favourite was some hand lotion!
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    One of these...

Image result for fret king black label bass
    A Fret King Black Label Esprit Bass!

I wanted a bass and spent a few hours at the end of November going round a few guitar shops trying them out. I tries bases from £79 (a second hand Yamaha) up to £1500 (a Stingray) and thinking I can't tell any difference between these. The only one that stood out for me was the Fret King. It felt right and sounded great. But it was dearer than I wanted to spend on a first bass.

Anyway, my lovely, sneaky, wonderful, crafty wife only went and bought it for me. And kept it well hidden until Christmas morning!

So now I have a guitar that is too big and missing a couple of strings! How the hell do I play this thing?
  • Nothing guitary, but a new wallet, posh eggs cups, a sake set, some excellent cufflinks and a couple of cookbooks. Yesterday, I bought myself a mahoosive Lego tractor which should keep me busy for a couple of days. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 335
    I had a Digitech Trio+, plus some guitar books.

Having great fun with the Trio!!!
    I love my brick

• I got the Beastie Boys book.  Astroturf boots and running shoes.  Bottle of single malt.
  • Tilley TecWool hat was probably the highlight for me this year. I wear hats all the time & this one seems great- warm & comfortable. 
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Eric Roche acoustic guitar bible. Chose it myself but still very gratefully received! 
  • Bit of money, an amazon voucher and a pair of nice socks :)

I'm planning on selling a bunch of effects pedals, old camera flashes and a trigger and using it towards a second lens on the fuji - either the 50-140mm f/2.8 or the 90mm f/2. 

The 56mm 1.2 is calling, but I currently use a manual focus minolta 50mm and to be honest I really love the results.
  • Oh! I also got a book about bourbon cocktails, and how best to match different expressions in different cocktails  Interesting reading, if not very practical for me, but I really enjoyed it  The socks are the highlight, really good quality :) 
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477

#winner
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    We got a nice pair of walking boots each, and a gecko for the outside wall, by the patio.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    EHX crayon and a some Maiden boot lps 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28173
    I got a teeny tiny metal AT-AT kit, a magnetic wooden block thingy that's a bit like tangrams but not quite, an old PS4 game and a little fiddle toy that's a bit like six links of bicycle chain but with some rubber rings involved too. And a book of James Bond themes arranged for cello.

Also I got lots of time to play Fallout 4 and Xenoblade, and had only limited involvement in the creation of lunches and dinners.

Pretty good. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    edited December 2018
    My wife bought me a Shanling M0 - it's a digital audio player and one of the best around right now despite being tiny. It'll play all your usual high-res formats, and obviously simple stuff like mp3. 

Not only is the audio output on a par with many very expensive devices, it can do more than many rivals. The M0 can act as a bluetooth receiver in addition to transmitter. It can also function as a very capable USB DAC/headphone amp. 

It's no wonder this thing has been picking up awards. 

http://www.shanling.com/Product/Detail?id=f009f9f9c6304359a99bc7d0d51a7d46
    https://www.avforums.com/review/shanling-m0-portable-audio-player-and-bluetooth-amp-review.15506

• Bit of money, an amazon voucher and a pair of nice socks :)

I'm planning on selling a bunch of effects pedals, old camera flashes and a trigger and using it towards a second lens on the fuji - either the 50-140mm f/2.8 or the 90mm f/2. 

The 56mm 1.2 is calling, but I currently use a manual focus minolta 50mm and to be honest I really love the results.
    The 50-140mm f/2.8 is an amazing lens. So useful in all manner of situations with fabulous image quality. I picked up a used one earlier this year and have been very happy with it.  Managed to grab both teleconverters for good used prices too which really boost the uses of 

• CDs. They're not dead. Jeff Beck's Emotion and Commotion, and Derek and the Dominos Live at the Fillmore. Listening to the former now. :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I got a pretty nice Amazfit Stratos GPS watch. Crap name, but quite a lot of functionality for £120, it rivals £250 Garmin watches in that respect.

Then if I get my insurance excess back, I may splurge on a synth of some description. Or buy my wife some teeth, not sure which appeals more at the moment. :)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.