Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Delusional used TV Sellers

What's Hot
Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7778
edited December 2018 in Off Topic
So I'm looking at 43"-49" 4K tv's of which you can get excellent new LG and Samsung models starting from £329 at present.
However, on Ebay and Gumtree there are literally hundreds of blokes selling 1080 & older 4k tvs for £140 to £400 (no one wants your outdated tat just because you paid £800 4 years ago) and broken tvs for over £120. (If the screen's cracked mate, then realise that's the "spare" ppl are after!)
Idiots everywhere.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    I've sold my 6 years old 1080 lg for 200 quid few months back. Buyer came and paid within few hours of posting on facebook. Who's an idiot?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited December 2018
    Got a 19" black and white set for £200 if anyone's in the market. Perfect picture the sound just whistles a bit now and then. SOLD
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    My wife has a 40 y.o. Sony Trinitron portable that she keeps for sentimental reasons. Since it is analogue it is useless. Been wondering what I could do to make it useful? Maybe rip out the insides and fit some digital tech to use it as a digital photo frame ? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGee said:
    I've sold my 6 years old 1080 lg for 200 quid few months back. Buyer came and paid within few hours of posting on facebook. Who's an idiot?
    Both of you, but the buyer obviously moreso :)
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    jellyroll said:
    My wife has a 40 y.o. Sony Trinitron portable that she keeps for sentimental reasons. Since it is analogue it is useless. Been wondering what I could do to make it useful? Maybe rip out the insides and fit some digital tech to use it as a digital photo frame ? 
    old video games
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Isnt there something about buying a NEW televsion that means your details are sent to TV Licensing?

Hence the need to buy used to avoid that particular exchange of personal info.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2440
    I'd imagine that's both illegal and pointless, as well as easily avoided by paying cash
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    fandango said:
    Isnt there something about buying a NEW televsion that means your details are sent to TV Licensing?

Hence the need to buy used to avoid that particular exchange of personal info.
    I bought a TV from Tesco's for cash once and they asked for my post code. I asked why and they said because of TV Licence check. I gave them a false post code just us see what would happen (. She wrote it down and I walked out with the TV! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i think the postcode thing is pretty irrelevant these days. the licensing goons work on the assumption that everyone has a tv and will harrass you until you tell them otherwise
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6085
    i think the postcode thing is pretty irrelevant these days. the licensing goons work on the assumption that everyone has a tv and will harass you until you tell them otherwise
    And yet there's never been a time when it's more likely that you do have a set but do not watch any of the qualifying channels.
  • In all of my time of living alone approx 12 years in total, I never paid tv license, as they could not see a TV from the window or the door, I just ignored the letters and if someone came round I told them I had a pc monitor only, I literally never paid in all that time as they cannot demand to enter the premises,  it's different now as the TV can be seen from the front window so I have to pay it now :(
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A quality plasma screen would easily out perform a new £400 LED tv... Even it's over 10 years old.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28435
    celentium said:
    A quality plasma screen would easily out perform a new £400 LED tv... Even it's over 10 years old.
    That's why I've still got my lovely Panasonic plasma.

Well, that, and being a cheapskate. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Update: Bought a new Samsung UE43NU7020 from AO for £287 with today's Ebay 15% off promo. 

• Do you know, it’s not just restricted to TVs these days - I scan the car classifieds (FB Marketplace, Gumtree etc) now and again, just out of interest. People are delusional when it comes to getting rid of a knackered car. Quite often, I’ll see something like a 2005 Focus etc, no MOT, possible engine bottom end problem, non working electrics etc - usually something stupid like £300 NO OFFERS etc - it’s only good for bloody scrap, mate, nothing else...
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Do you know, it’s not just restricted to TVs these days - I scan the car classifieds (FB Marketplace, Gumtree etc) now and again, just out of interest. People are delusional when it comes to getting rid of a knackered car. Quite often, I’ll see something like a 2005 Focus etc, no MOT, possible engine bottom end problem, non working electrics etc - usually something stupid like £300 NO OFFERS etc - it’s only good for bloody scrap, mate, nothing else...
    This annoys me, especially when you're looking at something that looks like it might make a good project.

"No MOT but will sail through no problems"

Well put it through a bloody MOT then put it on ebay!
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited December 2018
    I thought this was going to be a thread about unconvincing cross dressers selling guitars...

Re. television sets we’ve never really had it so good in terms of purchase price and availability and they are almost throwaway items but if someone wants to try their luck selling them let them get on with it. If you searched used sold prices on eBay you’d probably be surprised what can be achieved.

I remember the days when all we could afford was a used television and it was black and white! It would be repaired by the local guy when it fucked up- that was until it really went tits up and had to be traded in against a new fangled colour one!

Television is very low in our priorities. Our lowly 37” Samsung is the only set in the house although sits in a room that’s over 20’ long. It is about 10 years old and won’t be replaced until it no longer works.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    TV sets used to be so expensive we couldn't afford to buy one - we used to rent one from Martin Dawes, on the promise of a new model every year!

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    so, remember the days when a TV had valves inside... were any usable for amps?? cos I'll buy your old B&W telly if so!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>