Black Mirror - Bandersnatch. SPOILERS INSIDE!!

What's Hot
**THERE WILL BE SPOILERS BELOW - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED**

Anyone else seen/played yet? 

Some excellent meta stuff, overall enjoyed it. Classic BM-style ending.

Overall I thought very interesting, if slightly lacklustre in the end. I'm not sure whether it's just me putting my "gamer brain" on and seeing how it works from a technical point of view. It didn't feel like branching paths to me - more a case of trial & error, turning back whenever you got a "bad" ending, until you got the right one - I don't *think* you could have got to the intended ending straight through with options offered first time round. 
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    That's exactly what we all used to do with the choose your own adventure books though. If anything it's another level on top of it all. I thought it was a masterpiece of storytelling. Forget the 'cleverness' aspect of it. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Definitely agree it was decent storytelling, even if I'm not convinced the mechanism was any more than a gimmick. 

There's already conspiracies on reddit with people trying to find secret extra endings using different phone numbers... Only 10,000 options, so I'm guessing a chunky group of people will find everything within a week. Unless there's a specific combination of other triggers you also have to hit to get there.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    I liked it.  I thought there was a great story trying to break out of the format and found that frustrating at times.  I just wanted to watch it and the "back to the start" thing got a little tired.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    edited December 2018
    Definitely agree it was decent storytelling, even if I'm not convinced the mechanism was any more than a gimmick. 

There's already conspiracies on reddit with people trying to find secret extra endings using different phone numbers... Only 10,000 options, so I'm guessing a chunky group of people will find everything within a week. Unless there's a specific combination of other triggers you also have to hit to get there.

You're right of course but I hate that sort of bollocks. Completely stops it from being a personal story/journey. Not in the spirit of the medium at all. You got (maybe) a personalised experience of the story. Not everything needs to be gamified and 'clocked'. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    It didn't feel like branching paths to me - more a case of trial & error, turning back whenever you got a "bad" ending, until you got the right one - I don't *think* you could have got to the intended ending straight through with options offered first time round. 
    That was covered I thought though with a comment while discussing building the game "I decided to only apply the illusion of free choice with all decisions made eventually leading to the same conclusion".

I loved it though, thought it was a great experience.
  • Bezzer said:
    It didn't feel like branching paths to me - more a case of trial & error, turning back whenever you got a "bad" ending, until you got the right one - I don't *think* you could have got to the intended ending straight through with options offered first time round. 
    That was covered I thought though with a comment while discussing building the game "I decided to only apply the illusion of free choice with all decisions made eventually leading to the same conclusion".

Yes, I think you're right. Essentially the whole thing is a double-meta thing (possibly triple, depending on your ending). 

It was good fun to go through, but I don't think it's the future of movies or games.
  • Bezzer said:

Yes, I think you're right. Essentially the whole thing is a double-meta thing (possibly triple, depending on your ending). 

It was good fun to go through, but I don't think it's the future of movies or games.

It's a nifty idea, but not sure how useful it truly is. 

It's already in games though - like beyond: two souls, which is more like a movie than a game. Very popular though - I can't stand playing those games, but I quite enjoy watching others play them. 
  • It was meh. I almost didn't believe my daughter at the start, until I made the choice.

So the idea was good, but the execution wasn't that good.

An interesting first step, though.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Generally Brooker seems to get really good inspiration for these bm things, but then just seems to scupper the ideas somehow midway through

Making the game a metaphor for the story, pointing out how difficult it is to do the twisty-turny stuff, then giving itself a lukewarm review at the end made me wince a bit

At least there didn't seem to be a gaping plot hole is this episode

In retrospect I'd rather have spent the time on a game proper, or just watched some telly
    All practice and no theory
  • Watched/played it last night. Enjoyed the process, and went back a few times to see various endings. Looking at the flow diagrams that are cropping up online I still missed a couple. 
  • The mechansim was a distraction, the clues were all of the place. The prominence of the eye and lock symbol on the book, the whole P.A.C thing. If you use wireshark you can see that during the phone number sequence encrypted packets are transmitted to the following endpoint: https://bit.ly/2CFdqfi

There is also no terms and condition link on this video on netflix, unlike any other program.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    Very quick post because I am watching it (and avoiding reading the thread)
    This is simply excellent and a real leap forward.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26991
    octatonic said:
    I can see this becoming a meme... 
    Oh wow, oh wow.... 'Give me a fucking sign'.
    This is just killer.
    octatonic said:
    Oh wow, oh wow.... 'Give me a fucking sign'.
    This is just killer.
    That was the bit I really enjoyed.
    Yes                       Fuck Yeah
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17607
    tFB Trader
    I enjoyed it a lot. I missed the chop up ending so I may need to watch it again.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2399
    Really enjoyed it, very cleverly done.

Also - the end scene with him on the bus and the nostalgic noises of the Spectrum game loading? If you run that through an emulator, you actually can play the game.....

(No idea how you get it into an emulator personally, although people have managed to do it).
    FarleyUK said:
    Really enjoyed it, very cleverly done.

Also - the end scene with him on the bus and the nostalgic noises of the Spectrum game loading? If you run that through an emulator, you actually can play the game.....

(No idea how you get it into an emulator personally, although people have managed to do it).
    The sound *is* the code - the Spectrum ran code provided on cassette tapes