Where to source control knob parts?

Greetings folks,
Hardly any time has passed since Chrimbo, and I’m planning the next few projects (a mandolin, the long-gestating 6/12 double neck, a 3xP90 effort etc), and I’d like to start customising the parts.
My youngest boy got some Fimo clay from Santa, and I thought it would be nice if he could make some control knobs for one of the electric builds coming up.
So, does anyone know where I might source a knurled metal insert that could be pressed into the Fimo and when set, would fit the split-shaft control pots?

Cheers,
Adam
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    edited December 2018 tFB Trader
    Actually for solid shaft pots but you could then use sleeves on the pot shaft for a tight fit.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    A split-shaft pot should do it...

Just fill the slot with a piece of hard material of the right thickness - a piece of an old pick is usually ideal if you have a few sizes - superglue it in, and if you want to make it really good, carve the missing ridges on the ends with a craft knife.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

Gavin/ICBM,

Thanks for the link/advice. Am I likely to get appropriate sleeves easily enough too? I would search myself, only Im not entirely sure what I should be searching for...

Cheers,

Adam

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    I sell the sleeves
    but thinking about it a bit more it may end up being trickier than at first look. The inserts I linked to seem to be designed for a very thin knob, so the grub screw is pretty short. Plus you have to line up a hole for the grub screw. Obviously an easier solution would be an insert for push-on knobs which I can't find any suppliers for.