Talk to me about TVs

What's Hot
Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 136
edited December 2018 in Off Topic
Need to get a 32" TV in the £180-200 bracket. I've spotted JVC one for £180, but my brother has one and doesn't really recommend it (he says it's a bit slow and you can probably do better for the price). Other brands in the price range are Hisense, Toshiba, Sharp, Panasonic among all them other common and relatively cheap brands.

Can anyone recommend any of these brands?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• Amazon have some LG 32" at just under £200.  I can recommend them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 906
    aye. LG or Samsung seem to be the most popular and most user friendly ones and LGs generally seem to be more competitively priced.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 2683
    I always end up with panasonics, always been good, seems decent quality for the money and I always think they have decent speakers in them.  
  • SporkySporky Frets: 15050
    I'd go LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic. Not necessarily in that order, but not necessarily not in that order.

LG and Samsung make their own panels.
    Every year, I grow half as pretty, and twice as drunk. 
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 136
    Samsung and LG are where I'd like to go, but I'm yet to find one in budget. I will also add that it will need to be a smart TV.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 1250
    LG , Sony, Panasonic then Samsung is my order preference based on ownership. 
  • Guys in dresses but some of them look ok...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 264
    I've just posted about returning a bush 32 TV..
    Stay away from the cheap bush is all I can say.

I didn't want a smart TV as i have a Freesat box. I bought a Samsung smart 32 inch full hd. Very happy with it. Sound is good, picture is far better than or previous 720p.

I watched the new interactive Netflix BanderSnatch which didn't work on the fairly old Humax Freesat but of course worked fine on the new TV.

BTW, remember to buy online with a credit card and any returns should be simples ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • What types of content do you want to watch on it, and how far away is your sofa from the TV?
    @MentalSharps mainly Netflix and about 10-12ft. The size has to be set at 32" tho as that's as big as what will fit in the little cove it's going in.

Cheers everyone as well
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 2327
    Remember 32" is the diagonal not the length so you might fit in a bigger tv. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 1075
    I have a Sharp Tv....not impressed at all, slow UI, crap TV guide, stay away.

the last one I got was Panasonic, I’ve always rated them but TBH I’m not overly impressed with this either.

Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    Presonus Studio One Pro.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 210
    Personally I always by Samsung , however for your budget Hisense is definitely worth looking at.My brother just bought one and its quite impressive for the money.NOt up to Samsung,LG and Sony standards but I would say as good as Toshiba,Panasonic etc.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1542
    notanon said:

Stay away from the cheap bush is all I can say.

Good advice. Especially useful when wearing beer goggles.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Ben8010 said:
    @MentalSharps mainly Netflix and about 10-12ft. The size has to be set at 32" tho as that's as big as what will fit in the little cove it's going in.

Cheers everyone as well
    Might be better to get a non-smart TV (because cheaper) and get a fire stick to Smarten it up? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 168
    I have always stick to John Lewis as they offer a 5 yr guarantee and when we did have a problem it was sorted out in two days. You may be paying a little more , but worth it in the end.
    Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 2677
    joneve said:
    Ben8010 said:

Cheers everyone as well
    Might be better to get a non-smart TV (because cheaper) and get a fire stick to Smarten it up? 
    Indeed.
    Warning: this post may contain overtly affectionate references to Brie Larson
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 521
    joneve said:
    ...  fire stick... 
    Or Roku.... 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 4034
    "It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue."
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 4556
    I have always stick to John Lewis as they offer a 5 yr guarantee and when we did have a problem it was sorted out in two days. You may be paying a little more , but worth it in the end.

You can get 5 year guarantees elsewhere.  Richer Sounds do them.

Richer Sounds would probably be worth a look.  They have a 32" Toshiba listed at £179.

The price difference between smart TVs and their corresponding non-smart TVs is around the same as the price as a fire stick/Roku etc. to be fair
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 2477
    I just bought a Hisense 43 inch to replace one in our living room, we have a 49 inch LG in the dining room and the Hisense is just as good. 
    Ben8010 said:
    The price difference between smart TVs and their corresponding non-smart TVs is around the same as the price as a fire stick/Roku etc. to be fair
    Fair enough! 
    Ben8010 said:

The software in the smart TV might be unsupported in 3 or 4 years time.  If you use an external Fire Stick / Roku / Now TV device, then it's easy to just buy a new one when the current one goes out of date.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    crunchman said:
    Ben8010 said:

The software in the smart TV might be unsupported in 3 or 4 years time.  If you use an external Fire Stick / Roku / Now TV device, then it's easy to just buy a new one when the current one goes out of date.
    Or easier to update to the latest version/firmware 
    crunchman said:

You can get 5 year guarantees elsewhere.  Richer Sounds do them.

Richer Sounds would probably be worth a look.  They have a 32" Toshiba listed at £179.

Yeah i have just noticed they are doing 5 yr guarantees, still rather go to JL
    Ben8010 said:
    Need to get a 32" TV in the £180-200 bracket. I've spotted JVC one for £180, but my brother has one and doesn't really recommend it (he says it's a bit slow and you can probably do better for the price). Other brands in the price range are Hisense, Toshiba, Sharp, Panasonic among all them other common and relatively cheap brands.

Can anyone recommend any of these brands?
    If you want i can look up any TV on my Which app. 
  • MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 35
    edited January 6
    Ben8010 said:

Cheers everyone as well
    Is the cove physically built in the wall and would require you to re-arrange your room? Or is it in a piece of furniture?

At that distance, watching on such a small screen unfortunately won't actually make any difference at all what you get. You won't really be able to tell any difference between even 720p HD and SD on a 32" diagonal. So you could just pick something up for a little as possible from freecycle or gumtree or a FB group and save the money towards a better TV when you can watch properly.
    @MentalSharps it's the only place it can go. It's not actually a cove as such, but the furniture in the room (which can only be rearranged to a little extent) is arranged in a way that makes a little cove like place where the TV will go. I am tempted to up the budget and get a 43er tbh (if one will fit, I'm yet to properly measure it)
    Ben8010 said:

Cheers everyone as well
    Is the cove physically built in the wall and would require you to re-arrange your room? Or is it in a piece of furniture?

At that distance, watching on such a small screen unfortunately won't actually make any difference at all what you get. You won't really be able to tell any difference between even 720p HD and SD on a 32" diagonal. So you could just pick something up for a little as possible from freecycle or gumtree or a FB group and save the money towards a better TV when you can watch properly.

My in-laws used to have a 32" TV.  I could see a difference between BBC1 and BBC1 HD.  I'll check tonight but I'm pretty sure I can see a slight difference between BBC1 and BBC1 HD on the 24" TV we have in our bedroom.

Given that any new TV you buy will have 1080 capability, it doesn't really matter.  When you can get a new one with a 5 year warranty for under £200, it's not really worth faffing around on places like Gumtree.

Unless you are planning to plug it into a soundbar or HiFi system, the most important thing to check is which model has the least bad speakers.