Ibanez rg370amhz any ibanez experts out there?

What's Hot
stenio83stenio83 Frets: 81
edited December 2018 in Guitar
Hey guys just looking for opinions on this guitar I’m looking for a budget shredder and did a impulse purchase of this guitar for £229 from a guitar shop it’s not arrived yet but can send it back so thought was worth a punt. It’s immaculate and only a 1yr old.

i own USA lespauls and strats but wanted a budget shredder for a bit of fun didn’t want to spend a lot and wondered what people’s thoughts on this guitar were? Any advice or if you think I should look at something else then please say. the specs are here 
https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180108320413008--ibanez-rg370ahmz-swk-silver-wave-black-flat?gclid=Cj0KCQiAmafhBRDUARIsACOKERMQTpN1i5ZdH9mPVcQG7ct8rfS5CZp2Jkn9JxFnMyz6ChrBJltEK4IaAqKeEALw_wcB

ive been playing over 20yeara so I know what a decent guitar is but in this  situation I’m looking for the beat bang for buck! 
Are these rgs still aimed at a beginner market or is that the gio range? 

Also  I can’t find info if that’s a laminate top or if it’s the ash wood grain???? It just says ash body online!?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Somebody, anybody?? :)
  • Don't know about the top but I played (and nearly bought) the Blue Moon Burst version a while back. Nice guitar, I would have been happy to gig it - it certainly didn't feel like a budget model.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• I don't know that model specifically but I've got Ibanez models that cost new from £200 to around 2K and all are decent guitars. Some needed a setup or tweak to my preference but their QC is usually good so no lemons.

The RG design is a great comfortable Super Strat shape and the Edge Zero II is the same bridge as used on Premiums in £900 mark - not quite the Japanese made original Edge quality but certainly very solid and dependable unlike some of the hardware they used on entry level guitars in the past. I have one guitar with this and my only complaint is that the screw cap arm can wobble in the socket as there is only one bushing. It bothered me as I like even the smallest touch to more the bridge so my fix for this was a little electrical tape around it before inserting the bar.

Given the price I would say it will be made in Indonesia at the same factory as the Premiums and the body will be either a laminate or a print. The stock pickups you might like but if not there are loads of nice upgrades possible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Seems a decent RG for a decent price. I personally don't like middle pickups on a shredder as they get in the way of my strumming, and I never use them anyway, but obviously that's personal preference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't know that model specifically but I've got Ibanez models that cost new from £200 to around 2K and all are decent guitars. Some needed a setup or tweak to my preference but their QC is usually good so no lemons.

The RG design is a great comfortable Super Strat shape and the Edge Zero II is the same bridge as used on Premiums in £900 mark - not quite the Japanese made original Edge quality but certainly very solid and dependable unlike some of the hardware they used on entry level guitars in the past. I have one guitar with this and my only complaint is that the screw cap arm can wobble in the socket as there is only one bushing. It bothered me as I like even the smallest touch to more the bridge so my fix for this was a little electrical tape around it before inserting the bar.

Given the price I would say it will be made in Indonesia at the same factory as the Premiums and the body will be either a laminate or a print. The stock pickups you might like but if not there are loads of nice upgrades possible.
    Sounds like I should be pleased when it arrives i thanks! I didn’t think it was painted ash body that would have been to good to be true
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4172
    edited December 2018
    Maynehead said:
    Seems a decent RG for a decent price. I personally don't like middle pickups on a shredder as they get in the way of my strumming, and I never use them anyway, but obviously that's personal preference.
    Very much this: while Rich is doing the refin on my Performance I'm getting him to fill in the rout for the middle pickup
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• So it arrived trem seems solid! Still can’t work our if it’s a laminate or print a shop told me it was painted and no info on Ibanez site which is fustrating build quality is ok frets are a bit rough down the neck! But quantum pickups are surprisingly good that said I may still return purely because it plays so well I reckon the premium model like this will be incredible!!

still not fully made my mind up but is this guitar worth the extra money. 

https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/ibanez_rg_premium_limited_rg6pfgmltd-gbb_electric_guitar_geyser_blue_burst/

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    stenio83 said:
    So it arrived trem seems solid! Still can’t work our if it’s a laminate or print a shop told me it was painted and no info on Ibanez site which is fustrating build quality is ok frets are a bit rough down the neck! But quantum pickups are surprisingly good that said I may still return purely because it plays so well I reckon the premium model like this will be incredible!!

https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/ibanez_rg_premium_limited_rg6pfgmltd-gbb_electric_guitar_geyser_blue_burst/

If you have the funds, get it, or you’ll forever be thinking about it whenever you pick up your “cheap” RG.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited January 2019
    stenio83 said:
    So it arrived trem seems solid! Still can’t work our if it’s a laminate or print a shop told me it was painted and no info on Ibanez site which is fustrating build quality is ok frets are a bit rough down the neck! But quantum pickups are surprisingly good that said I may still return purely because it plays so well I reckon the premium model like this will be incredible!!

How much are you looking at for the premium model? 

EDIT* 

Ah just seen £699

fir that money I would be buying one of the MIJ genesis models that have just been reduced, you can get an RG550 in Road Flare Red for £649 now made in Japan and with a real original edge trem, I own a premium model RG and it’s awesome, but if I had the choice I’d get an RG550 Genesis. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • stenio83 said:

EDIT* 

Ah just seen £699

fir that money I would be buying one of the MIJ genesis models that have just been reduced, you can get an RG550 in Road Flare Red for £649 now made in Japan and with a real original edge trem, I own a premium model RG and it’s awesome, but if I had the choice I’d get an RG550 Genesis. 
    The other thing to bear in mind is you might not like the zero point trem system, I don’t but others do, it’s easy enough to set it up as a traditional floating trem but not if you are not familiar with dicking around with floyds. 
  • stenio83 said:

EDIT* 

Ah just seen £699

The other thing to bear in mind is you might not like the zero point trem system, I don’t but others do, it’s easy enough to set it up as a traditional floating trem but not if you are not familiar with dicking around with floyds. 
    I think your right mate that’s the one!!! 
    Gonna go for the rg550 hopefully richtone music won’t be to fuatrated with me, and I’ve been playing nearly 25years and never had a FLoating trem so I’m sure it’s gonna mesh my brain up when i restring Hahhahahahhahahha. 

• stenio83 said:
    stenio83 said:

EDIT* 

Ah just seen £699

I think your right mate that’s the one!!! 
    Gonna go for the rg550 hopefully richtone music won’t be to fuatrated with me, and I’ve been playing nearly 25years and never had a FLoating trem so I’m sure it’s gonna mesh my brain up when i restring Hahhahahahhahahha. 

You know it makes sense. 
  • You really won’t be unhappy with the quality of a Japanese made RG550 unless Superstrats just aren’t your thing - they do build them as good as anyone really - a real dependable workhorse and more or less a Jem less a few minor features and looks as the RG was derived from the Jem. Despite all the fear a double locking system when setup correctly (bridge angle nothing loose/catching etc.) is very reliable especially the original Edge or a close variant like the low pro Edge. You can leave a guitar for months and it will still be in tune. Only downside is if you want a different tuning - but then it is a good reason to buy another guitar!

Restringing is easy so long as you change one string at a time and stretch the new one in fully.

Changing string gauge or setting for another tuning is easier if you put a few coins or a bit of wood in the cavity between the block and the body to keep the bridge from moving then tune by turning the screws for the claw - I went from 9 gauge in standard tuning to 10’s in Eb in a few minutes.
  • You really won’t be unhappy with the quality of a Japanese made RG550 unless Superstrats just aren’t your thing - they do build them as good as anyone really - a real dependable workhorse and more or less a Jem less a few minor features and looks as the RG was derived from the Jem. Despite all the fear a double locking system when setup correctly (bridge angle nothing loose/catching etc.) is very reliable especially the original Edge or a close variant like the low pro Edge. You can leave a guitar for months and it will still be in tune. Only downside is if you want a different tuning - but then it is a good reason to buy another guitar!

Restringing is easy so long as you change one string at a time and stretch the new one in fully.

Changing string gauge or setting for another tuning is easier if you put a few coins or a bit of wood in the cavity between the block and the body to keep the bridge from moving then tune by turning the screws for the claw - I went from 9 gauge in standard tuning to 10’s in Eb in a few minutes.
    Even playing the rg370amhz I was like wow so I think the 550 is gonna be amazing!!! 

I have a digitech drop which does work quite well for drop tuning. I can see now why these are called superstrats they really are a modern players instrument. 
  • So!!! I did the swap!! And I was wann very happy man when I went to richTone in Sheffield! Awesome place and service!

I went with a fantastic  

ibanez, rg2550z prestige made in japan, Team J Craft in mystic black (which is like pearlescent shimmer) with upgraded dimarzos (originals where dimarzio ibz) the new ones are dimarzio tonezone, True velvet and Air Norton. It’s a beast of a guitar the construction and neck are just a brilliant a dream to play!! 

Will post pics on a new discussion titled ‘NGD’