Classical music no longer a popular choice

What's Hot
Just watched the London Fireworks on YouTube and it struck me that no classical pieces were used during the display . 

It seems to me that Classical music has fallen off the radar for public events
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited January 2019
    Interesting observation. By all accounts the public dont listen to it, so it makes as much sense as playing Miles Davis really.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Somehow, Hip-Hop just doesn't set the same mood as the 1812 Overture.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    I think the London fireworks have been pop based for years.
  • We watched our neighbours ones. No music. Just laughter. Then I watched Donnie Brasco and Heat back to back and ended up going to sleep at 7am.

Bye!

• I'm not sure a London fireworks display is the best example is whether classical music is not played anywhere any more. It's used all the time in film and on TV
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I'm not sure a London fireworks display is the best example is whether classical music is not played anywhere any more. It's used all the time in film and on TV
    Agreed. The pumping sound track suited the firework display better - that's all. The Proms are always pretty much sold out and Classic FM is a popular radio station.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    By all accounts the public dont listen to it
    Citation needed. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    By all accounts the public don't listen to it ..
    Better tell that to the Proms organisers and the people who run open air classical concerts and fireworks displays most summer weekends at Hatfield House (a stone's throw from my more modest abode) .. these events seem to sell out.

• VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Fretwired said:
    Better tell that to the Proms organisers and the people who run open air classical concerts and fireworks displays most summer weekends at Hatfield House (a stone's throw from my more modest abode) .. these events seem to sell out.
    Those are self-selecting and so not the general public.  It is absolutely identical to saying Joe Bo. sells out so the general public wants to hear him. Abolutely identical, like virtually the same thing, no debate, stop even trying to find holes in this analogy.

I am suprised the London didn't go for Ode To Joy though for a bit more Trolling.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm not quite sure why events selling out and proving very successful are less useful in deciphering what is popular than what the organisers of a free firework display in a city that tries so hard to appear "current" and "hip" choose to accompany their bangs with ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I watched nearly all of the New year's Day concert from Vienna as per and I am not a classical nut - but I do like a clap-along!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Those are self-selecting and so not the general public.  It is absolutely identical to saying Joe Bo. sells out so the general public wants to hear him. Abolutely identical, like virtually the same thing, no debate, stop even trying to find holes in this analogy.

I am suprised the London didn't go for Ode To Joy though for a bit more Trolling.
    So can we infer from this that the general public doesn't actually exist?

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had the opposite experience recently- I went to the Botanics Lights show at RBGE. ALL the music was classical & I wondered why...
    It kinda fit the vibe of the event, but I heard the same old stuff that's always used. Surely there must be more interesting things they could use? 
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Veganic said:
    Fretwired said:

It probably exists as a useful heuristic but who is in will depend on context.  People in a high street on a Tuesday are the general public.
    People in a high street on a Tuesday when Jezza Corbyn is having a rally definitely not the general public. 

To be fair,  OP only mentioned public events so I have sort of changed the issue to suit my argument.  Sorry.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Who needs fireworks to classical music anyway?  ;)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    I think the general public is no true scotsstrawman. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited January 2019
    Seems like some of the music was chosen as a political statement by Sadiq Khan.

He should concentrate on trying to figure out how to fund Transport for London properly after his ridiculous 4 year fares freeze when inflation is relatively high by recent standards, and staff had a 4 year pay deal linked to inflation.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12313
    My New Years eve banging* was accompanied by timpani and comedically timed penny whistle.

*this bit didn't happen.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    edited January 2019
    crunchman said:

He should concentrate on trying to figure out how to fund Transport for London properly after his ridiculous 4 year fares freeze when inflation is relatively high by recent standards, and staff had a 4 year pay deal linked to inflation.

I just love Khan's shit .. 'London is one of the greatest Cities in the World ..' .. he obviously hasn't travelled that much. It doesn't feature in most top 20 lists. And given the current crime rate who the Hell wants to visit. Arrogant crap .. I can think of at least 20 cities I've visited that I'd rate above London.

The Telegraph asked it's readers to rank the cities they've been to .. London ranked 47 out of 50. As for the EU they couldn't give a shit about London ... the UK's decided to leave. Does he think London will get some special treatment? The man's deluded.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:

Tbh, he should probably focus on controlling the sky-rocketing crime rates, particularly for drug possession and dealing offences, which have climbed high under his watch. Crimes which spawn other crimes in a system of dereliction and codependence.

But nah. He'd rather ban attractive people from tube adverts.

Bye!