Britpop. Who was the most impressive guitarist in your eyes.

What's Hot

Comments

• For me it's Bernard Butler, especially his inventive rhythm playing and use of single note melodies. 

As mentioned Gaz Coombes is another great player.  He played some really nice chords, like in Late In The Day and Movin.  He took the odd solo, the Late In The Day solo was his best IMO - very melodic and he navigates the chord progression nicely. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Britpop was never my thing to be honest, but is Liam Tyson from Cast worth a mention?
    I really need to go back and listen to his stuff with Cast. I love what he plays with Robert Plant but don't remember much apart from some jangly strumming in Cast (admittedly I've never really listened to them, only hearing the odd track on the radio).
    Its clear he just did what the job needed in Cast as his Plant stuff is great

• Nick McCabe deserves a mention; a master at creating sonic soundscapes (A Storm in Heaven, A Northern Soul), using delay, reverb etc. I'm not a fan of Urban Hymns where his skills sonic were under-utilized, but the first two albums are masterworks.
    Came here to say this. Him, Craddock, Greenwood, Coxon and Bradfield are top of the class for me. All in very different ways, obviously.
    Forgot about McCabe. Awesome
  • Philly_Q said:
    I only know him from the Plant connection really, but I knew he was in Cast and presumably he was already a good player then.  But Cast could sound like the Archies for all I know.

They don't, but they aren't the soundscapes-meets-desert-blues-meets-folk-meets-electronickle mashup that Percy is these days either.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    For me Graham Coxon because he is so inventive but doesnt overplay. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    Coxon, craddock, butler.

Also...

Andy Bell (in Ride, pre oasis) 
    Steve Mason (Gene) 

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Definitely Graham Coxon.
    Try jamming along with your average poppy Blur song, he's constantly pulling the rug from under you in an understated way.

His ability to keep things interesting without alienating casual listeners is up there with Steely Dan and The Beatles in my opinion. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    p90fool said:
    Definitely Graham Coxon.
    Try jamming along with your average poppy Blur song, he's constantly pulling the rug from under you in an understated way.

His ability to keep things interesting without alienating casual listeners is up there with Steely Dan and The Beatles in my opinion. 
    Yep. It's also really easy to check by listening to it go to shit on the stuff after he quit 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3201
    As said so many times already: Coxon, Craddock and Butler. Each have a great ear for melody, know how to play to the song and are yet very, very able musicians. 

It it was a good era for guitar.
  • Bernard Butler, Domonic Chad, Graham Coxon, Steve Cradock are amongst my favourites from those times. it was a great age for guitar, Steve Mason, Jon Stewart, Nick McCabe are also worth a mention. Might get flamed for this but Noel Gallaghers straight ahead chord playing sold him alot of records......

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12316
    edited January 2019
    Coxon for sure and the guy from Super Furry Animals, don' t know his name probably Bonk or Doink or summat. Not really a fan bjt i always liked the dude in Skunk Anansie's playing.

Edit. Of Course Steve Craddock, Ocean Colour Scene are far more than the "also ran" band that they seem to be percieved as.

More ideas in one OCS song than in an entire Oasis album IMO, listening back to them now the music is still exciting to listen to, in fact more so for me. I would never have described the Oasis experience as exciting though.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • ionianionian Frets: 100
    edited January 2019
    I remember the guitar mags of the era wouldn't give any of these guys the time of day - it is refreshing to read this 20+ years later and see those that deserve it getting some recognition. I agree with the consensus and don't have anyone to add, but I would say tracking Johnny greenwood from Pablo Honey onwards shows a real musical journey, as each album gets more complex and original. But it's not really Britpop... 
  • Not britpop but I’m very impressed  by Throb’s soulful and tasteful classic rock/soul playing on Primal Screams Give Out But Don’t Give Up Memphis Tapes. 

Martin Carr was not the greatest player but was so inventive on the fist two boos albums. Before britpop I suppose. 

• CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2045
    Bernard Butler, Domonic Chad, Graham Coxon, Steve Cradock are amongst my favourites from those times. it was a great age for guitar, Steve Mason, Jon Stewart, Nick McCabe are also worth a mention. Might get flamed for this but Noel Gallaghers straight ahead chord playing sold him alot of records......
    Happy to go down in flames with you on that shout. All the aforementioned may be technically better, more innovative guitarists than Noel Gallagher but what he created with his guitar defines that era more than anyone or any band in my opinion. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Richey Manic

/thread

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 393
    Some great ones already mentioned, I also rated Steve Mason from Gene - great lead and rhythm player
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    edited January 2019
    With my serious head on, personal favourites were JDB and Steve Craddock. 

I saw Gene live a fair few times and their guitarist Steve Mason could most definitely play. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited January 2019
    ionian said:
    I remember the guitar mags of the era wouldn't give any of these guys the time of day - it is refreshing to read this 20+ years later and see those that deserve it getting some recognition. 

Oooh I dunno about that. I've got a cheat sheet for the contents of The Guitar Magazine (TGM) and they'd done Blur, TFC, Boo Radleys, James, Lush, Ride, Oasis, Dodgy, Gene, The Verve, Spiritualized, Sleeper, Elastica and Menswear etc etc etc before Britpop was two years old.   

I suspect you may have been reading Guitarist  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1593
    Nick McCabe deserves a mention; a master at creating sonic soundscapes (A Storm in Heaven, A Northern Soul), using delay, reverb etc. I'm not a fan of Urban Hymns where his skills sonic were under-utilized, but the first two albums are masterworks.
    Nick McCabe would be my pick to. His guitar on things like Star Sail is phenomenal. I bought my first delay pedal back in 97 the morning after watching them at Manchester Academy.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7862
    Grsham Coxon.