Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Epiphone DC Pro

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2608
edited January 2019 in Guitar tFB Trader

Ohh... Nice.. Looks a bit like the Tak Matsumoto DC  (damn that bloody headstock though  )

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Designer/DC-PRO.aspx

Modern double cut design with AAA Flame Maple top, ProBuckers™ w/coil-tapping and more!
The DC PRO is Epiphone’s modern take on the classic Epiphone Del Rey Double Cut design. Featuring a double cutaway solid Mahogany body with a AAA Flame Maple Veneer top, ProBucker™ humbuckers with coil-tapping, a treble bleed circuit to maintain clarity at reduced volumes, and Grover™ 18:1 ratio tuners. Now available in Black Cherry, Faded Cherry Sunburst, Midnight Ebony, Mojave Fade, and Wild Ivy. 

https://i.imgur.com/Llp8gkn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cm1qKcu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IkOXSqL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/o49aYAx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IdSoHUK.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I actually quite like the Epi headstock. Epiphone make some good guitars and that looks cool.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    edited January 2019 tFB Trader
    Fretwired said:
    I actually quite like the Epi headstock. Epiphone make some good guitars and that looks cool.

The Gibson head looks like an open book..  The Epi one looks like someone bending over and you seeing the crack in their arse...  D

If I really liked an Epi it wouldn't actually stop me.. But I do think its a bit ugly.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    The headstock on the DC Pro guitars is a fair approximation of an old Epiphone USA outline. Definitely an improvement over their usual Gibson-with-the-corners-clipped-off design.

I am at a loss to understand what exactly about the body shape qualifies as "1970s classic". Teisco Del Ray? For sure but the Epiphone Del Ray is clearly rooted in the Eighties and "inspired" by some kid from Maryland named Paul. (Whatever became of him?)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Headstock like a spoon
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    Yep, I really like these.

I had a Tak DC Custom and it's the one guitar I regret selling the most. I don't mind the headstock shape at all, but that flower decal logo thing on there is what's putting me off.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
    That looks great and practical and tasty in Mojave fade finish.
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    Nice. I like them. 

A couple of years ago I was really tempted by a Epi' Tak Matsumoto, which my local guitar shop could not get rid of despite slashing the price. Not sure why it did not sell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    Well, they've fixed the headstock shape.

And ruined the body shape.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Not keen on them. Body shape is halfway between a DC and a PRS and the pickup selector switch looks silly in that position.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • These look lovely. Am quite tempted.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26993
    Headstock is good and they should put that on the LPs & SGs from now on, if they're determined not to use the Gibson shape. 

Body is hilarious - the whole thing looks a bit.. squinty? Why not use the actual LP DC shape? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    I want the green one.

Any prices up yet?  Anyone selling them?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • i wish they'd just make a standard style RD
  • I want the green one.

Green one for me too.

• I want the green one.

Everything I've seen says TBC. I'd guess at around £4-500 with the "Pro" tag, as that's pretty consistent. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

No. No. NO.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Looks like an attempt at the PRS SE market, why dont Gibson/Epi do what they are good at and focus on producing decent reissues? They do better with releasing a decent Riviera and firebird....

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Bloody hideous!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    The neck joint is advertised as 'deep set'. Looks a bit shallow to me.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I don’t understand Gibson’s strategy with Epiphone. 

If if they want a cheaper range of core Gibson models - they should copy them properly and use the Gibson headstock shape. Fender have done it for years and it hasn’t devalued their core range at all. 

But for me, the Epiphone brand is a massive case of missed opportunity. If they reissued their classic Kalamazoo models properly, as well priced modern reissues just like the Gretsch range they would make a killing. There’s plenty of models (guitar and bass) that would sell well. 

A Coronet with batwing headstock, a Crestwood in Inverness Green etc.. 

But most of all, rather than a half baked DC copy, they could do a Wilshire properly as a proper 2xP90 with Epiphone heritage and they could produce it for buttons.. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom