........ speaking of Les Paul Specials.......

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5672
edited January 2019 in Guitar
Sorry to bind on a bit about LPS but what are the 2015 flavours like?

I've seen really nice looking one on Reverb that's been tastefully upgraded but I'm a bit put off by the wider neck on these versions, I usually like a neck that's no wider than 43mm, narrower if possible, so at almost 46mm I'm worried it'll be a handful, in more ways than one.

Unfortunately I'm unlikely to be able to try before I buy.

TIA

Edit: Here's the link to the ad on Reverb.......... 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    There is 2nd hand LP Special on Codamusic's website now.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5672
    wesker123 said:
    There is 2nd hand LP Special on Codamusic's website now.
    Thanks @wesker123, you might find there isn’t any more. 

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    I would say if you want a special then buy as special. The 2015's are different/odd spec. Don't know what Gibson were on that year. Specials and Juniors are glorious in their simple design. They shoudn't come with pointless bells and whistles. That's not a special/junior. Sorry I'm obsessed as you'll see in my avatar. Had a couple of specials but settled on junior's of which I have single and double cut. All good good guitars so you won't be disappointed if you looking for an absolute animal!
    sawyer said:
    I would say if you want a special then buy as special. The 2015's are different/odd spec. Don't know what Gibson were on that year. Specials and Juniors are glorious in their simple design. They shoudn't come with pointless bells and whistles. That's not a special/junior. Sorry I'm obsessed as you'll see in my avatar. Had a couple of specials but settled on junior's of which I have single and double cut. All good good guitars so you won't be disappointed if you looking for an absolute animal!
    To be honest with you I tend to agree with what you’ve said but most of the junior/specials that I've seen are fetching really good money - so much so that you'd think Gibson would take a hint, but that's besides the point.

As much as the 2015 is a different beast, for the outlay it's worth a punt.  I know many people who love them and sing their praises despite the obvious differences.  If I don't like it I should be able to recover my investment at that price, I hope.

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Have a look at Trevor Wilkinson Vintage models. I once tried one that was honestly better than the Gibson version I had at home. Tokai worth a look too.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31637
    The 2015 Junior I tried was excellent, in fact I went straight home and ordered a P90ST pickup to fit to my number one guitar, I loved it so much. 

The guitar was well made and sounded awesome, the tuners were easily ditched but the neck was massive. 

I actually got on fine with the neck because I have biggish hands and there's a fair bit of room outside the E strings - my only concern, and the reason I didn't buy it is that the neck was so huge I was worried that swapping between that and my regular guitars might be an issue. 

My LP has a 'normal' big neck and I have a couple of archtops with 20s style necks, but the 2015 was something else again. I did like it, but you would really need to try it. 
  • @jimkehoe has one for sale on here I think..
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited January 2019
    you don't need the extra PUP!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • I’ve got a sunburst  one and it’s a really well made instrument. The width of the neck is a bit odd for a Gibson but you get used to it very quickly . I’ve removed the auto tuners and fitted a set of Grovers, the brass nut was OK so I left it as it was, there are reasonably inexpensive replacements around if required. The name is a bit misleading, it’s not really a Les Paul Special but a model in its own right. The slug magnet P 90 pickups are much brighter than traditional P90s but nevertheless I like them. I own around 14 Gibson guitars and find myself playing this one as much if not more than the others.

Thanks @Henrytwang - I agree that it's not so much a special but a different line in its own right.  Part of me thinks I'll end up flipping this one quite quickly but time will tell, it arrives tomorrow so I'll let you all know what I think to it in any case.

They seem to be marmite of the guitar world, I've heard many good things about them and read many positive reviews.  That said, I've also read many review where people didn't like them, although I haven't read anything that suggests they were a badly made instrument, quite the opposite in fact, it just seems to be the oddball neck and other 'features' which put people off.

The irony is that one day they'll probably be quite sought after and be worth much more than the low ball value they have at the moment......... long after I've sold it on again lol.

So. I did promise to let you all know what I think about the guitar. It arrived a couple of hours ago and I’ve been playing it for a while so here goes 

First impressions, very positive. It’s in virtually unplayed condition so that’s a bonus. It’s very light and resonant, so that’s good too. 

Fit and finish is very good, considering it came from Gibson I can’t find any flaws worth writing about. The playing action is very low and fretwork even seems good. 

The fingerboard is a lovely piece of rosewood. I own a guitar which cost over six times as much and the rosewood on that guitar isn’t as nice as this!

The neck is slim and a comfortable shape but it is noticeably wider to play and to look at. It’s not bad, it’s just very different than what I’m used to. It plays great, but does feel quite different to all other guitars I’ve played. 

It sounds good too. I honestly think Gibson could have knocked one out of the park with these guitars, everything is very, very good. If the neck dimensions had been conventional I think they would have been a massive hit. 

I’m not sure what to do with this one now. I like everything except the width of the neck and even that’s not awful. However, it is probably enough of a difference to my other guitars to make me move it on. 

I can try to love with it, sell it on, or get the router out and make that neck the width it should be. Honestly, if Gibson has done that to start with it would be one excellent instrument. 

• Haych said:
    So. I did promise to let you all know what I think about the guitar. It arrived a couple of hours ago and I’ve been playing it for a while so here goes 

First impressions, very positive. It’s in virtually unplayed condition so that’s a bonus. It’s very light and resonant, so that’s good too. 

Fit and finish is very good, considering it came from Gibson I can’t find any flaws worth writing about. The playing action is very low and fretwork even seems good. 

The fingerboard is a lovely piece of rosewood. I own a guitar which cost over six times as much and the rosewood on that guitar isn’t as nice as this!

The neck is slim and a comfortable shape but it is noticeably wider to play and to look at. It’s not bad, it’s just very different than what I’m used to. It plays great, but does feel quite different to all other guitars I’ve played. 

It sounds good too. I honestly think Gibson could have knocked one out of the park with these guitars, everything is very, very good. If the neck dimensions had been conventional I think they would have been a massive hit. 

I’m not sure what to do with this one now. I like everything except the width of the neck and even that’s not awful. However, it is probably enough of a difference to my other guitars to make me move it on. 

I can try to love with it, sell it on, or get the router out and make that neck the width it should be. Honestly, if Gibson has done that to start with it would be one excellent instrument. 
    As previously mentioned l disliked the G force tuners and changed them for a set of Grovers. The neck isn’t really a problem for me, it’s just a bit different. To be honest if it wasn’t a Gibson people probably wouldn’t remark on the widths much. I don’t really like modern Fender neck radius having grown up with the old 7.25” necks but I’ve learned to live with the 9.5” necks. 
    As previously mentioned l disliked the G force tuners and changed them for a set of Grovers. The neck isn’t really a problem for me, it’s just a bit different. To be honest if it wasn’t a Gibson people probably wouldn’t remark on the widths much. I don’t really like modern Fender neck radius having grown up with the old 7.25” necks but I’ve learned to live with the 9.5” necks. 
    Sorry, I forgot to say, this one seems to have Kluson style tuners fitted at the factory, it didn't come with G-Force, thankfully.

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    Ask Coda if they'll part ex it for a 2019 DC Junior ;-)
  • Haych said:
    Sorry, I forgot to say, this one seems to have Kluson style tuners fitted at the factory, it didn't come with G-Force, thankfully.
    I believe that Gibson sent out sets of “normal” tuners to dealers who were having trouble selling the guitars fitted with G force ones. They also sent out titanium nuts to buyers reporting rapid wear  of the original brass nuts.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    edited January 2019
    Haych said:

I usually like a neck that's no wider than 43mm, narrower if possible, so at almost 46mm I'm worried it'll be a handful, in more ways than one.
    Then don't even think about it. Get rid of it. It will never be right unless you shave it down.

I'm the same - my ideal neck width is 41-43mm - and I find the 2015 Gibson necks almost unplayable. It's not just that the neck is wider - the profile feels very odd and clunky, because bizarrely the string spacing is the same as normal... the extra width is outside the E strings, so the sides of the neck really feel awkwardly huge.

The robot tuners are only part of the problem. You need to both remove them - which are why the metal nut is necessary, they cause snagging problems with a conventional nut - and fit a conventional nut with string spacing properly matching the neck. It's then actually less awkward feeling, although it will still only be ideal for someone who likes wider necks really. But maybe worth a go...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein