New pot knobs for an epiphone sg.

What's Hot
I want to put new pot knobs on my epiphone. Just because i dislike the speed knobs that are on there. I've carefully pulled one off to look at the pot shaft. It's a split shaft with splines (is that the right name for the little lines on the shaft?) But the shaft diameter appears to be 5mm and not the 6mm I was expecting.

Does that sound right?
I'm measuring with a basic ruler so my reading might be off but I don't think my eyesight is that bad.

It's the cheapest epiphone sg they do if that helps.

Anyone know a good UK place to source new knobs. Weirdly I want metal ones like on a Tele!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14526
    It is normal for all but the most expensive Epiphone electric guitar to have Metric pots. 

Good quality metal control knobs are usually fastened by a grub screw to a solid shaft pot. 

For your SG Special, it ought to be possible to obtain the two knobs that you need from mail order outlets such as Allparts UK and no end of eBay Shops. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    edited January 2019
    I've read about the trick to fill the split shaft so that the grub screw doesn't close the gap as its tightened. 

I hate eBay so I'll take a look at allparts. 

Thanks
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    I doubt the shaft is 5mm unless the gap has closed up.

Plenty of metal knobs will fit 6mm shaft. Some are made as push-fit like speed knobs and some have grub screws.
    I've got couple of styles, with grub screws. The plain top Gretsch style knobs would be my choice on an SG.
    If you find a metal knob you like that is for solid shaft pots you can use a sleeve over the split shaft for correct fitting (bottom of the linked page).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks. I suspect that it's really a 6mm shaft and either my eyesight or crappy ruler or both are to blame for the discrepancy. 
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Import pots do indeed have a smaller shaft.
    I have Tele knobs that fit on import sized split shafts.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    @Alegree I've already ordered some that have the fixing screw. However if they don't work I'll be in touch.
    well they seem to fit.  Good enough for home use.  Here is a before and after.  I think they look better.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14526
    Paul7926 said:
    I think they look better.
    This is all that matters. 

Keep the original "speed" knobs. You could put them back on if the time ever comes to sell the guitar.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Yeah ive put the speed knobs away safe in case i ever need or want to put em back on. Cant see me ever selling the guitar as despite its cheep pedigree I love it