Who makes a good t-top pickup?

What's Hot
Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
edited January 2019 in Guitar
Hello,

I’m going to make some tweaks this year to existing guitars. First up will be my old SG, currently sporting a set of Antiquities, I plan to Angus-ise this with a T-Top style bridge pickup and sell on the Duncans.

Are there any recommended T-Top style pickups out there? I know of the BK Riff Raff but looking for other options too. All suggestions welcomed. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Marc at Mojo pickups does a T Top www.mojopickups.co.uk
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    @Moe_Zambeek ;

This sounds really interesting. I watched a CME video recently on T Top pickups in an SG and it sounded ace. I don’t know anything about these, how do T Tops compare to other styles of SG pickups, are they hotter?
  • @andyp in my case I find the Antiquities - which are solid PAF replicas - a little too soft sounding. I want something with a bit more output, more upper mids and a tad more aggression on the top end. That is what I understand T-tops to be.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    That sounds cool!

• Koa said:
    Does he still? The only full-size humbuckers I can find on his site ATM are his vintage PAFs.

Besides the BK Riff Raff, there's the Oil City Dynamite, The Creamery '76, and probably plenty of others.

@andyp in my case I find the Antiquities - which are solid PAF replicas - a little too soft sounding. I want something with a bit more output, more upper mids and a tad more aggression on the top end. That is what I understand T-tops to be.
    From my reading and the humbuckers I've used, I'd say more aggression at the top end is definitely right. I'm less sure about more upper mids though. The Riff Raff is more scooped than the other vintage output Bare Knuckles, and Alnico V (usually the magnet of choice) tends to be scooped compared to other Alnico types. The Riff Raff is also arguably slightly lower output than the Mule, owing to the reduced mids and slightly reduced wind.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    You could also take a look at the Oil City Dynamite which fits the bill:

https://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/product-page/dynamite
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    If you want an aggressive bridge pickup then check out the BK Rebel Yell
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Koa said:
    Does he still? The only full-size humbuckers I can find on his site ATM are his vintage PAF

https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/product/t-top/
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1421
    sweepy said:
    If you want an aggressive bridge pickup then check out the BK Rebel Yell
    The Rebel Yell isn’t at all like a T Top. It’s more like a more highly powered normal PAF. Great pickup yes but not got the low output treble bite of a T Top.
  • Bit of a wait with Mojo...looking at his site I wonder how you actually buy a pickup from them, everything seems to have a long wait. Are they worth it? 
  • MojopickupsMojopickups Frets: 314
    tFB Trader
    Bit of a wait with Mojo...looking at his site I wonder how you actually buy a pickup from them, everything seems to have a long wait. Are they worth it? 
    Sorry, I'm just really busy, I can't make them any quicker.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Bit of a wait with Mojo...looking at his site I wonder how you actually buy a pickup from them, everything seems to have a long wait. Are they worth it? 
    Yes they're worth it. They're the only constant in my ridiculous pickup merry-go-round, once fitted, I never remove them in a quest for something "extra" like I tend to with everything else.