Junior-ing an SG Standard

What's Hot
TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
edited January 2019 in Making & Modding
Something I've been interested in doing for a while now.. I've always liked single pickup guitars as I very very rarely use a neck pickup and can easily live without one. I certainly never use it in my band. So I've been thinking of modding my SG standard and turning it into a single pickup guitar. Everything I want to do would be reversible should I wish to go back.

So I'm thinking of getting a pickguard made with just one cutout for the bridge humbucker. Can a standard 3 way switchcraft toggle be wired up to split a humbucker or does it need to be a DPDT switch? If so are there any 2-way ones with a 10mm shaft to fit a Gibson poker chip?

Anyone done the same or seen one similar - any pics for inspiration? Mostly wondering what to do with the 2 empty pot holes.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    edited January 2019

That should inspire you ;).

Ruyter Suys of Nashville Pussy :).

Yes, you can use the existing switch to coil-split the pickup. The split will be in the middle position, and you can wire it either full-split-split or full-split-full depending on which you prefer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Yeah, that's cool :)

Where could I find a wiring diagram or something to help with wiring up the toggle? I'm not the best at getting my head around this sort of thing! I'd probably go full-split-full as I'd  most likely be on the humbucker most of the time.
    TTBZ said:

Where could I find a wiring diagram or something to help with wiring up the toggle? I'm not the best at getting my head around this sort of thing! I'd probably go full-split-full as I'd  most likely be on the humbucker most of the time.
    No idea if there are any diagrams, but for full-split-full, you connect the pickup split to where one of the pickups was, ground (or hot, depending on which coil you want) to where the other pickup was, and leave the output (joined) terminals not connected to anything. That way the split is only active when both contacts are closed, in the middle position.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited January 2019
    Now I'm just more confused So if I was to use the following diagram:

https://guitarelectronics.com/1-humbucker-1-volume-1tone-pull-for-south-single-coil/

How would I substitute the 3 way in for the push pull?

Also, the Seymour Duncan diagram looks different in how the pots are connected to each other:

https://docs.google.com/gview?embedded=true&url=https://www.seymourduncan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/1H_1VppSPL_1T.pdf

What's the difference between these, is one of them 50s style?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    edited January 2019
    EDIT: FTIO
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    TTBZ said:
    Now I'm just more confused So if I was to use the following diagram:

https://guitarelectronics.com/1-humbucker-1-volume-1tone-pull-for-south-single-coil/

How would I substitute the 3 way in for the push pull?
    Connect the red and white wires to what used to be the neck pickup volume control terminal on the switch, and connect the black wire to what used to be the bridge pickup volume control terminal on the switch. Leave the two terminals on the switch that are connected together alone - still connected to each other, but not to anything else.

Cheers @ICBM ! Does the screen still go to ground, and hot to the tag on the volume pot as per the diagram?
    TTBZ said:
    Cheers @ICBM ! Does the screen still go to ground, and hot to the tag on the volume pot as per the diagram?
    Yes.

Thank you for your patience, I understand now :)
  • Pics when it's done please!  =)
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
    Pics when it's done please!  =)
    Will do! Might have to put it on hold for a while as I've decided I need a Klone on my board again :)