Multi Effect Pedal

What's Hot
SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 845
edited January 2019 in Guitar
I'm fairly new to electric guitars and I have a kind brother (that has been around guitars for 50 years or so) who recently gave me a Cry Baby and a BOSS GT8 to play about with. They are both great but I'm finding the size of them too much considering I have all my stuff in the living room. OK I can put them away and get them out each time I use them but that is taking the fun out using them. 

I'm thinking I need something a bit smaller and have come across the Mooer GE100 which I can get for around £60 or its bigger brother for just over £200. Their footprint is much smaller and as such I would be more likely to use.

Dimension comparison
BOSS GT8: 515mm X 261mm X 75mm
Mooer GE100: 230mm X 140mm X 40mm
Mooer GE200: 297mm X 146mm X 46mm

What other multi effect pedals are worth considering that have a small footprint? £200 really is the max I'd want to spend, ideally less is better if it has a decent performance: )

Will be played through a SubZero Tube 20R (think poor mans FBJ). I can't see me using it outside the home either: )
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    edited January 2019
    Boss ME-50 - second hand only, about £100. Still the simplest-to-use and best-sounding one I've ever found. [/stuck record ] Maybe a bit big though - 385mm x 220mm.

Boss GT-1 - £150 roughly.

Zoom G3 or G3X - with or without expression pedal - £110 or £130 roughly I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Boss ME-50 - second hand only, about £100. Still the simplest-to-use and best-sounding one I've ever found. [/stuck record ] Maybe a bit big though - 385mm x 220mm.

Boss GT-1 - £150 roughly.

Zoom G3 or G3X - with or without expression pedal - £110 or £130 roughly I think.
    Cheers, the Boss GT-1 is about the max size I'd want to really consider. Seems odd choosing by size but I think it will be the difference between being used or not: )
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    Yeah I'd agree that the boss GT-1 would be perfect if you are already comfortable with the GT-8

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The GT8 is a fine unit, especially when it comes for free !  I'm going to propose an alternative solution.

I use a 1x12 cab with a H&K lunchbox amp.  I have a Boss ME-70, Digitech Trio and a Boss RC-30 looper.  I purchased an 8' length of black contiboard and built a shelf unit to go beneath the speaker.  It has two shelves which accommodate the pedals and two side "cheeks" which hold the multi psu and the amp footswitch the other side.  Your amp is slightly narrower than my cab, but you could do something similar.  It has a few advantages: 1. The speaker is now raised by about 8" so the sound radiates better.  2. I leave the pedals permanently connected so they  only have to be pulled forward when I want to use them.  3. The cables are stowed on the shelves behind the pedals so it is a very neat arrangement when not in use.  I can get a pic tomorrow if interested.
  • Zoom G3 / G3X. £50 ish second hand and outstanding compared to many more expensive units. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SparkySparky Frets: 90
    Just get a Boss Katana.
  • The GT8 is a fine unit, especially when it comes for free !  I'm going to propose an alternative solution.

I use a 1x12 cab with a H&K lunchbox amp.  I have a Boss ME-70, Digitech Trio and a Boss RC-30 looper.  I purchased an 8' length of black contiboard and built a shelf unit to go beneath the speaker.  It has two shelves which accommodate the pedals and two side "cheeks" which hold the multi psu and the amp footswitch the other side.  Your amp is slightly narrower than my cab, but you could do something similar.  It has a few advantages: 1. The speaker is now raised by about 8" so the sound radiates better.  2. I leave the pedals permanently connected so they  only have to be pulled forward when I want to use them.  3. The cables are stowed on the shelves behind the pedals so it is a very neat arrangement when not in use.  I can get a pic tomorrow if interested.
    I like your out of the box (or maybe in the box) thinking! I'm an eternal tinkerer/builder so will seriously consider your option: )

Zoom G3 / G3X. £50 ish second hand and outstanding compared to many more expensive units. 
    I'm going to have to see one in the flesh as the G3X (would want the expression pedal) is creeping up in size as, a comparison 8* bigger than the Mooer GE100. I know the quality maybe a lot better but I want to feel that I don't have put it away every session. I'll go and have a play in a shop.

Sparky said:
    Just get a Boss Katana.

Haha, I just love my SubZero Tube 20R too much for that: ) 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    Might help to think about whether you want a pure easy to use mfx unit or one that incorporates amp modelling. Also, whether it's just for home use or whether you might want it for gigging when you might want memory functions for fast preset recall. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman said:
    Might help to think about whether you want a pure easy to use mfx unit or one that incorporates amp modelling. Also, whether it's just for home use or whether you might want it for gigging when you might want memory functions for fast preset recall. 

Can't see me gigging, so purely home use. If a miracle did happen and I ended up gigging I'd have to take another look at my needs: )

Initially I was thinking purely mfx but I'd probably see amp modelling as an added bonus.

• martmart Frets: 5205
    If you just want to be able to get a few key effects, rather than trying to reproduce every sound you can imagine, then something like the Valeton Dapper might do:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Valeton-Dapper-Mini-Effect-Strip-x/dp/B06XR9TVPG
    Much smaller than what you were looking at - 197x65x42, and way under budget.

There are a few similar options from other manufacturers with slightly different selections of effects if the drive/chorus/delay doesn’t hit the spot.

To be honest, if you’re new to electric guitars, I’d keep it simple for now, as essentially you need to learn how to play each effect.
  • mart said:
    If you just want to be able to get a few key effects, rather than trying to reproduce every sound you can imagine, then something like the Valeton Dapper might do:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Valeton-Dapper-Mini-Effect-Strip-x/dp/B06XR9TVPG
    Much smaller than what you were looking at - 197x65x42, and way under budget.

There are a few similar options from other manufacturers with slightly different selections of effects if the drive/chorus/delay doesn’t hit the spot.

To be honest, if you’re new to electric guitars, I’d keep it simple for now, as essentially you need to learn how to play each effect.
    Cheers, I'll take a look at the  Valeton Dapper. It;s a valid point about learning to play each effect: )
  • I use a G1xon & rather like it. It's small, sounds pretty good & is really easy to use. 
    I use the Aux in to allow me to play along to Mp3s etc all the time, combined with my THR10 it's a great practice tool .
    The looper and drum machine are a great addition & add an extra dimension .
  • How often do you use the effects? Can you do without or get an amp that comes with effects?
  • How often do you use the effects? Can you do without or get an amp that comes with effects?
    I do have a VOX VX II which comes with JamVox software, initially I really liked the amp (and still do) but the software it comes with is rubbish IMO and is very frustrating. I followed this with an Epiphone Valve Special and have since moved to the SubZero Tube 20R which I love.

Regarding effects, I'm not sure how often I'll use them but just nice to have to try and replicate similar tones to something I try to play.

My leaning is towards either the Zoom G1xon or Mooer GE100 which seem to offer a fair amount of decent effects, small footprint and can be had for little money.
  • Honourable mention for the Digitech RP 360. It's basically Digitech's version of the Zoom G3n/Boss GT1. Has decent effects and also a looper and basic built-in drum machine for home practice shenanigans. You can also get the XP version if you need an expression pedal.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    I’m with @steveledzep on this. I had a similar issue, wanting to be able to pick up and play, rather than spending five minutes plugging everything together. My solution was similar to Steve’s, stick everything on a board, with cables long enough that I could store the board behind, beside, or on top of my amp.

We’re conditioned to solve a problem by buying something else. It’s often not the right answer. Much better to learn to get the best out of what you’ve got. The GT-8 came from your brother, and it would be a pity to discard it too early. When i bought a GT-8 I wasn’t new to FX, but it took me between 6 and 12 months before I felt I was using the box effectively. There’s a lot you can learn about individual effects, and about configuring patches and routings. Much better to do that. Then, if you replace it later you’ll have a better idea of what to replace it with.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    edited January 2019

Does it have to be a floor mount ? Some nice cheap rack multi FX about that can fit in with your existing hi fi/DVD set up or whatever. I picked up a Boss GX 700 for avbout £70 and it is superb. Cos I only use it in my PC room (fairly small so no room to do a floor pedal in there)I can easy tweak the modelling/FX just by reaching out to hip height

(the TC major 1 are more expensive)

https://i.imgur.com/zbiEF8b.jpg

• SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 845
    edited January 2019
    @steveledzep @Roland @bazxkr I do agree with you about your suggestions but the position of the controls on the amp are a pain as they are top rear of the amp.

I've been looking at it all today and no matter what multi effects pedal I have it looks like it will be stored on top of the computer base unit, the amp will be pushed to the back of the desk and will always need to be pulled out.

I think what I need to look at is where I plug everything in as at the moment sockets are down the left side of the desk and currently I'm plugging the GX8 in on the opposite side of the room. Think I need some sort of strip connector across the back of the desk so it can all stay connected therefore less faffing when I get it out.

Sorry for the boring content but just trying to think it out. I have appreciated people thoughts and input and you have helped me to look at things in a different way: )
  • You could do what I suggested and fit casters underneath so the whole shebang comes out into the room as one.  I've fitted a double socket to the side of my shelf and the amp and psu plugs in there.  You then have a plug lead from the double socket which is long enough for it all to be pulled forwards.  You could even leave it all in situ and just bring the GT8 out into the room with your amp clean/flat and control the volume/tone from the guitar with the GT8 doing its thing.  That's the way I'd do it for both neatness and limited faff to discourage you from plugging in.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616

Other than powering the amp on I don't touch the amp and don't even have the footswitch fitted. I keep it on the green/clean channel and let the Boss FX control everything including volume. Only about 50mm height  units so you could mount a small shelf underneath like my pic shows. Guess depends also where you sit and play. I sit right next toe thing so don't have to get up and down etc. Built in tuner too so nothing else need. A fairly cheap fix for me altho cos I couldn't make my mind up and bought both the FX racks to compare it cost more than initially I budgeted. If you spend a bit more you get a Digitech GSP1101 with the floor controller. They are very good indeed. Check out YT demo see what you think & what suits. I'm trying to actively avoid any pedals/cables along the floor as it is usually me that trips over them

You can mount a 6 gang surge protector or whatever to power everything with a single power down button too

The raise the amp a bit and have the pedal on a slide out try of some kind like the keyboard rests that was mentioned above has merit too.