Rehousing a Katana 50

What's Hot
LardyLardy Frets: 9

Love my Katana 50. Its perfect for what I need at home. Only 1 issue, my missus thinks it looks too much like (and I quote her) "that jacket the singer in Judas Priest wears". I think what she's getting at is its a black box which doesn't fit with her décor choices...

Id love to be able to rehouse it into the amazing looking blue grey tweed cabs that rift do but don't seem to be able to find anyone who stocks it.

Any help or experience appreciated.

Cheers

LB 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• LardyLardy Frets: 9

Also. Before its offered.

I do actually quite like her so getting rid is not an option (yet).

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 497
    I have no practical experience of this, but looking round the back of the Katana 50 I wonder if one option would be to just rehouse the head - the amount of woodwork and construction would be considerably simpler.

Then buy a 1x12 cab finished to match your new living-room-friendly head. Hide the original cabinet in the loft in case you want to reverse everything at some point and sell the Katana.

https://i.imgur.com/KpUECs0.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

hmm. seems a good idea.

would prefer a combo though.

cheers for the reply

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • strip the tolex.. there's some examples of such having been done on the Katana Facebook group..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Not on Facebook. but feel able to certainly strip it. Not sure about tweeding it though. Could give it a red hot go though.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 1570
    edited January 10
    Speak to Zilla Cabs. A few people here have had similar work done on other amps but it might be costly.
     www.cairoeast.co.uk - Madness Tribute band (Bass Player) and guitarist elsewhere
    Feedback - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57885/
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 10215
    Vinyl wrap it so you can put it back to stock?

"Guitars are just basses for kids"

Gregor Fris

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 10494
    Gingham amp cover with an aspidistra on it?
  • Get a nice amp cover made up for it, that way everyone wins!
    "You've got that rainbow feel but the rainbow has a beard"
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 1074
    Get a nice amp cover made up for it, that way everyone wins!
    Was just about to suggest that. Don't chop up you're amp, just get a cover your Mrs likes.

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 497
    I don't know if it's just me but I have enough difficulty just convincing myself to turn my amp on.  A cover is another obstacle to stop me playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • rprrpr Frets: 162
    I use a throw that fits the decor. No hassle to take off and on.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 3775
    rpr said:
    I use a throw that fits the decor. No hassle to take off and on.
    Is it the Joe Bonamassa signature "blanket over the amp" ;)
    I may feel slightly sad, but I won't cry
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 10635
    I don't know that I'd go as far as paying for a new cab for it, but FWIW I completely agree it's a rubbish looking amp. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2179
    Lardy said:

Love my Katana 50. Its perfect for what I need at home. Only 1 issue, my missus thinks it looks too much like (and I quote her) "that jacket the singer in Judas Priest wears".

What's wrong with an amp that looks awesome?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Thanks for the replies.

Took a good look tonight and at the risk of making it worse, I'm going to recover it in tweed myself.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 1570
    Lardy said:
    Thanks for the replies.

Took a good look tonight and at the risk of making it worse, I'm going to recover it in tweed myself.
    Just a cautionary note on this subject, I think you get a decent warranty on Boss products (3 or 5 years??). Not entirely sure if any type of modification, even cosmetic, would make it null and void.

I do think a custom cover is the best and easiest way to go.
     www.cairoeast.co.uk - Madness Tribute band (Bass Player) and guitarist elsewhere
    Feedback - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57885/
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 375
    Or just change the grill-cloth like I did with my 100:

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 116
    edited January 11
    You mean like this finish?

http://imgur.com/a/ekxG9PK
    that's the stuff longships. Yours?
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 116
    edited January 11
    Lardy said:
    Yup, inside it’s a basically a Fender Harvard clone made by Abbott Handwired in Wellingborough. The cab however I think was made by the same guy who makes the Rift stuff.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 36074
    I would change the grille cloth to something she likes. Get her to choose it.

Re-covering the amp *well* will be difficult, and rehousing it extremely difficult, because it’s not just a simple box, it’s a fairly complex structure where the amp section is mounted.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 2659
    Is it possible that your better half has really communicated the code for "I don't want that thing in the living room at all" and that you are wasting a lot of effort.... (I don't know, but the female of the species, bless em)...

Perhaps one of the teenier home praccy amps might be more to her taste, and put the Katana out of sight to drag out when she goes out?

I'm thinking THR10, Vox Handbag, Blackstar Core Beam, etc - the Vox and Blackstar double as bluetooth speakers as well.
    Warning: this post may contain overtly affectionate references to Brie Larson
  • FFS man up and put yer woman in order. Tell her that you put up with her cooker, washing machine and ironing board in the house, so she can put up with your amp.  :) 
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 519
    FFS man up and put yer woman in order. Tell her that you put up with her cooker, washing machine and ironing board in the house, so she can put up with your amp.  :) 
    FFS how offensive is this shit?  "It was a joke you cxxt" is not acceptable, cos it's not funny.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 801
    longshins said:
    Lardy said:
    Yup, inside it’s a basically a Fender Harvard clone made by Abbott Handwired in Wellingborough. The cab however I think was made by the same guy who makes the Rift stuff.
    Eli uses ZD cab designs, you can find him on eBay and Facebook. He does some fantastic natural wood cabs (walnut etc) that look great and keep the better halves happy -my wife was the one that turned me onto Abbott amps because they looked good. Very glad she did.
  • clarkefan said:
    FFS man up and put yer woman in order. Tell her that you put up with her cooker, washing machine and ironing board in the house, so she can put up with your amp.  :) 
    FFS how offensive is this shit?  "It was a joke you cxxt" is not acceptable, cos it's not funny.of course its a joke you retard, but youre obviusly too thick to understand it so i wont bother trying to explain, btw, thats not a joke
    Going the ZD Cabs route.
    MLC. I Get where your coming from, but i insisted on a Lacanche Range Cooker... Your quite welcome to come round and tell her on my behalf, just need to find a night when she's not out UFC training.
  • Lardy said:
    Going the ZD Cabs route.
    MLC. I Get where your coming from, but i insisted on a Lacanche Range Cooker... Your quite welcome to come round and tell her on my behalf, just need to find a night when she's not out UFC training.
    thanks for the offer but sadly i must decline. im sure you knew my comment was meant tongue in cheek and not to cause offence, but apparently not everyone does. anyway, enjoy your katana, they are fantastic amps.