Things to do in Cornwall

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
edited April 2014 in Off Topic
Got 3 days down there next week, we know about the Eden Project and the Aquarium but what else is cool to do?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Fight off all the cockneys. 

Nah, but the lack of anyone with a Cornish accent when we have been in recent years is quite puzzling.

To me generally enjoy the coastline and the little seaside towns. The coastline is such a big part of what makes Cornwall unique that wandering along a cliff top or fighting the gulls off your chips around a harbour is what you should be doing.

But, St Michael's Mount is an interesting visit, unlike anything else. Well, unless you go to the one they have in France.
    :ar!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    We went for a few days last summer - there are endless nice fishing villages to idle away a day..

We stayed in Looe and visited Pollperro a few mins drive away. 
    A day at Tintagel is good if you like Castley places and Port Isaac is nearby if you watch Doc Martin.
    I liked Padstow and combined an evening there with drive along the North Coast. 

St Michaels Mount is good if you time the tides right you can have a beachy day and visit the castle and watch it get cut off from the mainland,  we popped down to Lands end and St Ives at the sametime.

The lost gardens of Heligan is a good day out (if you like plants) and I prefer it to the Eden project (Mevagissy is just down the road).

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

St.Michaels Mount as Eric sai is worth a visit. Lands End just to say you've been. Adventure Quarry (IE a fucking long zip line over an old water filled quarry) might suit you.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Hmm. Drink ale and touch your sister?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Drew_fx said:
    Hmm. Drink ale and touch your sister?

Ill have to touch your sister, as I havent got one. But she'll like that.. ;)

Thanks for the hints guys :) Gotta love Lastminute.com!

Oh yes,Port Isaac is nice - there is a pottery gallery (IIRC) where the Fishermen's Friends -  or what ever they are called - rehearse in the space above it. Craziest rehearsal room ever!

Falmouth is nice and an obvious foodie destination but it heaves with people but if you are there outside school holidays/ bank holidays/ weekends worth a look.

I really like Boscastle. I can't say there is a vast amount to do there but it has a definite charm and its a good base point for short walks and there are some craft shops and what have you there. There is also a Witch museum but that's been shut every time I've gone.
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 400
    St. Ives/Godrevy/Gwithian are all grand, and Porthtowan a few miles up the coast is grand. Hire bikes and ride the Mineral Tramway from Portreath to Devoran (lush 23 mile round trip - doesn't take long at all, great scenery, lush little caf's on the way, and you can say you rode coast to coast).

@benecol Thanks for that. Is your Avatar from a 2000AD comic?

• benecolbenecol Frets: 400
    Yes, yes it is.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    If you're going to Cornwall, make sure you don't get caught sucking a Fisherman's Friend.

If you're going to Cornwall, make sure you don't get caught sucking a Fisherman's Friend.
    it's alright as long as you don't swallow.
  • Not much really. Except for walking and scenery. But then I live here so probably don't appreciate it as I should.

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

Eat fresh fish and drink lots of beer. Oh and jam first, then the cream ;)

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    Not much really. Except for walking and scenery. But then I live here so probably don't appreciate it as I should.
    Hooray someone else on here from Cornwall!!

Eat fresh fish and drink lots of beer. Oh and jam first, then the cream ;)

Will wonders never cease, Deckers got 3 things right in this sentence......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

I suppose this is a bad time to say that Im a teetotal veggie?
    Jetfire said:
    Yes.

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Jetfire said:

Be careful, that's considered Witchcraft down there. You're likely to get burned at the stake.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    If you can get anywhere near Launceston do give  The Merlin Glassworks a visit. Unbelievable place and lovely people too.