Pod HD500x into Matrix GT1000FX (Pod HD and power amp discussion)

What's Hot
guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
edited July 2014 in Amps
We've recently started using a new rehearsal space and I don't have access to a locker any more, and since the wait for storage is likely to be several months away I'm brainstorming options for making things easier.

Currently I'm using a Pedal Train 2 HC board (massive and heavy) a Roadster or an Ironheart head (again flightcased so heavy) and a 2x12 Mesa cab.  I'm totally happy with tone and usability but would sacrifice some of that for faster setup/pack down times and less bulk for weekly rehearsals.

I've been wondering if for rehearsals a Line 6 HD500X and a (Matrix/Rocktron?) poweramp into a 2x12/4x12 could work.  Has anyone tried this setup in a rock/metal band and what were your impressions?  The long term thinking would be that the L6 unit could be upgraded to a Kemper/Axe later down the line but I just don't plan to spend that much on digital gear this year.

The sounds I use are pretty simple, I've included the effects I'd use in brackets)

Clean - (modulated delay)
High Gain Rhythm - (volume pedal to go for dirty clean / boost for more mids in certain sections / delay)
High Gain Lead - (delay)

I prefer a more US style chunky high gain tone, so Rectifier/5150/Soldano type sounds are what I'd want.  I'm not so bothered about a perfect emulation so long as it sounds ballpark and decent.  If anything, tighter tones work better for my role in the band so I'm less worried about sag in this case.  For cleans any generic clean clean will do for my current purposes.

I don't want to mess around with a 4CM amp/processor setup.  I just want to go guitar -> processor -> poweramp -> 2x12 or 4x12 cab.  Will it be disappointing or do people find it workable?  I'd probably still use a valve amp/pedalboard for gigs but this would make a much more practical backup option and make general rehearsals easier.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    In before Octatonic:

AXE FX.

But seriously, yeah it should work in a technical sense. But whether the tones will be there is a matter for your ears and your ears alone. Personally, when I had the HD500, I quite liked a few of the models - mainly the Soldano ones. I did not rate the cabinets though; I ran into a software impulse response VST and they fared much better.

Are you going to be annoyed by patch change latency? There is quite a gap with the HD series as I recall.
  • I'm not going to be using any modelled cabs.  I'm just going to treat it like it is a preamp.

How bad is the latency, and does it occur when switching FX on/off within a patch or just when you switch between patches?  Thinking about it I don't think any of my changes occur when it is just me playing on my own so I wonder if it will be noticeable.

Getting an Axe rig could be doable this year but I'd have to sell a lot of gear to pay for it and that puts me in the position of being a bit screwed if I don't like it.
    It doesn't occur when switching FX on or off within the patch, it only occurs when you switch between patches. Not as bad as the regular JVM, but not as good as my Diezel D-Moll (took me months to notice any latency, there is a tiny bit)

I think you probably would like the Axe (or the Kemper) if you gave it time.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33817
    edited April 2014
    If you like the tone of the POD HD then it can work fine.
    I find them a bit dull sounding myself.

A Pod HD -> Matrix GT1000FX -> Cab type rig would sound pretty good though.

Yes, an Axe FX would be a significant step up but significantly more money and you would need a floor controller for it, so would you be saving that much in terms of space? 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24484
    I did a Pod XT Pro into a Marshall 8008 power amp and it was excellent.

The Marshall adds a bit of it's own tone (which I like).

I'd be happy to have that rig again
    In terms of saving on weight... you could maybe do an EVH5150III 50-watter - which is lightweight enough to carry in one hand, with a Line 6 M9 in your guitar case. Gives you some good tones, and some effects you can use. Will not be as heavy as your regular setup, will sound better than the Pod HD, and is fairly portable - though not as portable as the Pod HD and a Matrix poweramp I grant you.
  • I tried running pod farm into my bandit, and it works great - okay, it's not a pod hd but the principle is the same.

It's not amazing sounding, and actually sounded better into a valve amp when I used to do that. But it's usable and quite good fun.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4148
    POD HD sounds pretty good when running into a decent power amp. I've gigged with that way and use it at home. Using just the per-amps into the return on my Ironheart sounds pretty great, especially the Soldano models. You don't have to just use the pre-amp models though - for the non high-gain amps using the full models is great if you're after some power-amp breakup but are running into a very clean high-headroom power amp.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26695
    In my experience with Line6 stuff, it should work fine - however, I'd advise leaving one effect block for a parametric EQ. I've found that the raw output from PODs (XT onwards) tends to not play nicely with real physical cabinets; there often needs to be a boost in the low-mids and some fizz-taming at the top end.
    <space for hire>
    Also, if you buy it from Thomann you get a 30 day refund policy, and so you'd only be out the return shipping if you decide it isn't working. Bear in mind if you do this though, they only ship with EU power plugs. Easily solved with an adapter.

I say that because the shops in the UK generally only offer 7 days, and to me that isn't enough time to really know a bit of gear.
  • octatonic said:
    If you like the tone of the POD HD then it can work fine.
    I find them a bit dull sounding myself.

A Pod HD -> Matrix GT1000FX -> Cab type rig would sound pretty good though.

Yes, an Axe FX would be a significant step up but significantly more money and you would need a floor controller for it, so would you be saving that much in terms of space? 

That is pretty much what I'd buy.  With the idea an Axe FX could replace the POD later down the line.  To save cash for now I'd just grab the 500X but I'd be happy with a rack + footswitch rig later on as I think it would still work out noticeably lighter and smaller than what I'm currently using.
  • Hmm...

Having a big think here.  I might try getting a HD500x for a while and just running it into my Ironheart FX return until I decide if this route is for me.  Then if I like it I'll explore power amps at a later date.  In the short term I could get a cover for my Ironheart head instead of using a flight case for rehearsals.  That would save a couple of kgs too.

I'm as much looking to save time as I am space/weight.  Lifting the lid off a pedal case plugging in, plugging in to the power amp and plugging that in to the speakers... done in a few seconds with less cables trailing round and needing to carry less spare cabling too.
    Hmm...

Having a big think here.  I might try getting a HD500x for a while and just running it into my Ironheart FX return until I decide if this route is for me.  Then if I like it I'll explore power amps at a later date.  In the short term I could get a cover for my Ironheart head instead of using a flight case for rehearsals.  That would save a couple of kgs too.

I'm as much looking to save time as I am space/weight.  Lifting the lid off a pedal case plugging in, plugging in to the power amp and plugging that in to the speakers... done in a few seconds with less cables trailing round and needing to carry less spare cabling too.
    This is how I'd start in your situation.
    Yeah I pretty much agree. Do that, and see if you like it before sploshing out on a whole rig. The one thing about getting a Matrix poweramp is that you can change the preamp as money and time permit. Go from your Pod to a Kemper maybe, or to an Axe FX, or to a Marshall JMP-1 or something.
    Something to remember with the 1U Matrix amps is they really aren't ideal for home use- they have fans that are silent enough for stage but at home they can be distracting, even the ones with lower noise.

I've been meaning to try the 2U as it has a bigger heatsink and supposed to be quieter, but studio monitors seem to work for me at home.
  • If it's just for rehearsals why not the pod thing straight to the PA?

We practice in the bassist's shed using a cheap leccy drum kit, DI'd bass, DI'd acoustic, 4 vocals and my pocket pod into a our mixer then out to a 4 channel headphone amp. It doesnt sound great but it's enough to allow us to work on new material, quiet so we don't annoy anyone, cheap because we don't have to hire a room and super quick to set up. The pocket pod lives in my pedal case to act as an emergency backup at gigs too.

Maybe I'm missing the point and if so feel free to ignore me! :D

Just seems like a lot of money to spend on practices alone, if you were using it to gig as well I could see the benefit of spending some extra cash.

If it's just for rehearsals why not the pod thing straight to the PA?

Most rehearsal room PA's can't get over the drums with just vocals going through them.
    Add in a guitar and it will just be a constant stream of white noise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:

Most rehearsal room PA's can't get over the drums with just vocals going through them.
    Ah, fair one. :)
    octatonic said:

Ah, fair one. :)
    It is a good idea though if you have a decent PA.
  • I've used the pocket pod once at a gig when my amp died. It was difficult not having any sound come from behind as I'm used to (we don't mic amps or use monitors) but out front it sounded pretty good - certainly none of the punters cared!