whats the opinion of the board on Danocasters please?

What's Hot
mgawmgaw Frets: 5261
as above are they as good as some suggest?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I've only played one, a 'Tele' - my take was it played and sounded as good as a CS Fender for sure.

Did it sound like the two 60's (genuine) Teles I have? No it didn't - but it was certainly a very good Tele, and personally I think I preferred it to the few CS ones I've played
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    I have literally never heard a bad word. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I have literally never heard a bad word. 

Me neither. I’ve not played them but many of the top Nashville session guys have them so that speaks volumes to me. 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He is much loved on osg. I think he even started on there.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9308
    The tdpri guys go nuts for them. I’d love to try one, but they’re a bit rocking horse poo
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    Tried one in the US at a guitar show, a good Tele but not any better  than the many others available from the small builders.
    They have a cult following so as a result owners tend to really sing their praises and so the legend grows. There's always ones coming for sale on TGP and Reverb, not many here in the UK.  
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4259
    Not that it matters necessarily, but they don't make anything at all in house (as far as I can tell), they are just parts assembled guitars, with nice finish and relicing. Uses some great pickups though.

I quite like the idea of a builder being hands on and taking responsibility for every single step, decisions on each piece of wood, drying, winding the pickups, etc. I get why it might not matter to some, and I do also get why a lot of builders don't do it, as hard to make the numbers add up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    CloudNine said:
    Not that it matters necessarily, but they don't make anything at all in house (as far as I can tell), they are just parts assembled guitars, with nice finish and relicing. Uses some great pickups though.

I quite like the idea of a builder being hands on and taking responsibility for every single step, decisions on each piece of wood, drying, winding the pickups, etc. I get why it might not matter to some, and I do also get why a lot of builders don't do it, as hard to make the numbers add up.
    The best of the best in that realm would seem to be http://ruttersguitars.com/
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22804
    edited January 2019

There is Bravewood in the UK, I've never tried one but they're very well regarded.  And he does build everything from scratch (not sure about the pickups).

I must admit the thread title only caught my eye because I thought it said "what is the opinion of the board on Doncaster?"

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4259
    Philly_Q said:
    I must admit the thread title only caught my eye because I thought it said "what is the opinion of the board on Doncaster?"

I have literally never heard a good word.
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    CloudNine said:
    Philly_Q said:

Oi!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Philly_Q said:

There is Bravewood in the UK, I've never tried one but they're very well regarded.  And he does build everything from scratch (not sure about the pickups).

I played a Bravewood once, and it was absolutely wonderful - in some ways one of the top two Telecasters I've ever played (including black and white guards).

What completely put me off - it had a Fender sticker on the headstock , if it wasn't for that I'd have bought it on the spot

• Played a couple of Danocasters, they were ok, not amazing IMHO. I'm pretty sure the body and neck are built elsewhere to order by the same company that supplies Nash, amongst others.

I have 3 Bravewoods, they are all excellent. These are indeed built from scratch by one guy, incredible when you consider the price.
  • CloudNine said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Doncaster is famous for its night-life.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom