Gordon Smith customs?

What's Hot
This year (with more saving) I'm planning on spending about 1200ish on a used Gibson Les Paul, but I've recently spotted Gordon Smith guitars and they've caught my attention. I like their ethic and that they're UK built.

To get a custom built Graduate would seem to run about £1300. 

Has anyone had any experience of them or their guitars ( custom built especially), how do they sound/feel/play, and can they hold their own against the likes of a used Gibson?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grayngrayn Frets: 880
    I've recently picked up a newish Gordon Smith.
    Superbly made and finished. 
    These Auden made Gordon Smiths are very good, I've played a few now.

Good luck.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had them make a LP type for me about 10-12 years ago........ pretty nice guitar at low dollar. I had them make the body a little thinner than a normal LP and the unbound neck would be comparable imo to the necks I've played on satin SG specials and Tributes. The hardware, workmanship and the finish were sound..... mine had a gloss top and satin back and sides. Soundwise, the pups had a vintagey vibe going on. I ended up selling it after I bought an R0. I already had a LP Standard and a mate who loved the GS asked for first refusal if I ever thought about selling. I sold it to him about 8 years ago and he still has it..... says he'll never sell it.
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934
    I put in a custom order for a GS1000 last year - there is quite a wait, but I'd say it's definitely worth it - quality matches or surpasses anything I've had from Gibson USA. Plus, you can really spec it as you'd want it... Now, if you've done that, hopefully you'll not be needing to worry about resale values - a to-order guitar is for playing, not flipping. :) Just be sure you've got the spec right!

I added a custom colour, tune-o-matic, ebony board, locking tuners, and custom pick guard - design from Forsyth in Manchester. Ordered through them too - and the price came in at the same as a regular GS1000 (not discounted).
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A mate of mine got a Graduate about twenty years ago. It felt and sounded much like his Les Paul. The bodies on GSG are usually smaller than the Gibson counterpart.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    grayn said:
    I've recently picked up a newish Gordon Smith.
    Superbly made and finished. 
    These Auden made Gordon Smiths are very good, I've played a few now.

Good luck.

I've had the chance to briefly play that guitar, the shape and satin finish on the neck were love at first feel.

I don't think it felt very closely related to a good ol' school Gibby LP, it was more an exquisitely made guitar with its own identity. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Bigsby said: 
    I put in a custom order for a GS1000 last year - there is quite a wait, but I'd say it's definitely worth it - quality matches or surpasses anything I've had from Gibson USA. Plus, you can really spec it as you'd want it... Now, if you've done that, hopefully you'll not be needing to worry about resale values - a to-order guitar is for playing, not flipping. :) Just be sure you've got the spec right!

I added a custom colour, tune-o-matic, ebony board, locking tuners, and custom pick guard - design from Forsyth in Manchester. Ordered through them too - and the price came in at the same as a regular GS1000 (not discounted).
    I do love the look of that guitar.
    I'm struggling to remember the specifics but I had read some criticism of the wrap around bridge that's standard on the GS1000 so the tune-o-matic is probably the way to go. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Thanks for the input everyone. It seems like this might be the way to go for me, this isn't a guitar that I even intend to sell and I love the idea of having to my exact specification's.

I'm gonna fire them an email but does anyone know  if or reckon they'd do a simple but custom 12th feet inlay?
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Funnily enough, I took a drive to Northampton at the weekend, and put down a deposit on a GS S-type.  I played a few of the items they had in their showroom (got to meet Shakin' Stevens' guitarist too...).  The closest to an S-type they had was a lovely T-type - the build quality was superb, neck was lovely, options were great.

Now I have to wait the 8 weeks build time...
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Hairdoom said:
    Thanks for the input everyone. It seems like this might be the way to go for me, this isn't a guitar that I even intend to sell and I love the idea of having to my exact specification's.

I'm gonna fire them an email but does anyone know  if or reckon they'd do a simple but custom 12th feet inlay?
    That's a hell of a long fretboard.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    Sassafras said:
    Hairdoom said:
    Thanks for the input everyone. It seems like this might be the way to go for me, this isn't a guitar that I even intend to sell and I love the idea of having to my exact specification's.

That's a hell of a long fretboard.
    You need a lot of length if you want to play Surf. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I’m a big fan of the Auden Gordon Smith’s....

https://i.imgur.com/fAqm68A.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 19791979 Frets: 87
    I tried a GS1 last week and I’ve quite fancied a jr style for a while now, it’s looking like the way to go judging by everyone’s feedback 
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934
    I do love the look of that guitar.
    I'm struggling to remember the specifics but I had read some criticism of the wrap around bridge that's standard on the GS1000 so the tune-o-matic is probably the way to go. 
    TBH, I went with a t-o-m because I was sure I'd want to try a Bigsby or Les Trem, but have the option to go back to a hard tail. I have now actually fitted a Les Trem, and I'm very pleased with it, so it'll probably be staying.

IIRC, some people have found the Gotoh uncomfortable when palm muting, but I'd still be quite interested to try one someday.