Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Steve Vai has a theory book coming out called Vaideology

What's Hot

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Ohhh thats interesting
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for that.  That's something to put on the birthday list for next month
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Found it on amazon, also found the Steve Vai adult colouring book . I suspect that's more my level :anguished: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1108

you can 'look inside' for a preview of the content

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3878
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Instantly better than this old Ralph McTell book I have. That nice Mr Vai has included those little diagrams with the dots to show you where to put your fingers...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/halleonard-closerlook/00279217/00279217_Page-4.jpg
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Instantly better than this old Ralph McTell book I have. That nice Mr Vai has included those little diagrams with the dots to show you where to put your fingers...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/halleonard-closerlook/00279217/00279217_Page-4.jpg
    Lol- Wiz of the day! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Vaideology? Vai-not!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173

Ah...

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm wondering if you need to already be able to play a gazillion notes per second to get anything out of this book?
  • It's probably great.  This is a guitarist who has played with artists as diverse as Frank Zappa and John Lydon(AKA Johnny Rotten).

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm wondering if you need to already be able to play a gazillion notes per second to get anything out of this book?
    No.    Vai isn't really that kind of a shredder, he's more about the writing - just listen to some of his orchestral arrangements.  
  • Looking through the book, as far as can be seen on Amazon, it looks to cover the same ground as any other basic theory book. It really depends on whether you need one with Vai on the cover. Have to admit l like the various doodles, but that’s about all.
  • Looking through the book, as far as can be seen on Amazon, it looks to cover the same ground as any other basic theory book. It really depends on whether you need one with Vai on the cover. Have to admit l like the various doodles, but that’s about all.
    It seems to have some of Vai's own wisdom in there too.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    Lebarque said:
    @Lebarque I saw this,  but since I already taught him everything he knows I probably don't need to read it. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve only just realised that Hal Leonard is not the name of a man who’s written so many guitar books, but is the name of the company! Anyway, this book sounds interesting and I might give it a go, though I’m always suspicious about how much celebrities actually write themselves without ghost writers. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    No.    Vai isn't really that kind of a shredder, he's more about the writing - just listen to some of his orchestral arrangements.  

Holy bejesus, this afternoon I've given Passion and Warfare my first ever listen, it's stunningly good, musically not just technically. For the Love of God is drawdopping. Book ordered.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited January 2019

I'm wondering if you need to already be able to play a gazillion notes per second to get anything out of this book?

Holy bejesus, this afternoon I've given Passion and Warfare my first ever listen, it's stunningly good, musically not just technically. For the Love of God is drawdopping. Book ordered.

Wow, you lucky chap! I have listened to it over 2000 times probably!

Edit - that’s a vast understatement - Iistened to it about 700 times in 1990-91 alone. It’s probably 4000 times in total. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:

I'm wondering if you need to already be able to play a gazillion notes per second to get anything out of this book?

Wow, you lucky chap! I have listened to it over 2000 times probably!

Edit - that’s a vast understatement - Iistened to it about 700 times in 1990-91 alone. It’s probably 4000 times in total. 
    Man that’s a lot! Which other of his albums would you recommend? 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    @MagicPigDetective ;
    I recommend  the double live CD "Alive in an Ultra World" and the double CD Steve Vai "Anthology"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alive-Ultra-World-Steve-Vai/dp/B00005KHEY
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Infinite-Steve-Vai-Anthology/dp/B0000TGA6E

From those you'll cover all his best work (IMO) there are some beautiful pieces

Tender Surrender, Feathers, Die to Live, Frank, Rescue Me or Bury Me, Windows to the Soul and my all time favourite, Whispering a Prayer.

Awesome stuff (that's not a song, just a fact) :)