Young Brian May watching Old Brian May play

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 6998
    Xandoor said:
    Cols said:
    Sassafras said:
    He's a great player but that sound is so shrill it could split paving slabs.
    Never really liked Queen even though they're all good musicians.
    In isolation it’s like an ice pick to the eardrum.  Put it in a band context, and it cuts through beautifully.
    It's because of the treble booster he uses. That through the top boost of an AC-30 is like an ice pick between the eyes, but you're right. It works wonderfully in the mix (and he often gets beautiful overtones, im not sure if that's some weird technique or and effect of the top boost).

Edit: On second thoughts I don't know if he used the normal or top boost input. Maybe someone knows better than me.

For that particular example, he has two pickups out of phase with each other.  This cancels out the common frequencies, effectively leaving the differences between the two as the signal.  This gives the distinctive screaming tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Xandoor said:
    Cols said:
    Sassafras said:
    In isolation it’s like an ice pick to the eardrum.  Put it in a band context, and it cuts through beautifully.
    It's because of the treble booster he uses. That through the top boost of an AC-30 is like an ice pick between the eyes, but you're right. It works wonderfully in the mix (and he often gets beautiful overtones, im not sure if that's some weird technique or and effect of the top boost).

Edit: On second thoughts I don't know if he used the normal or top boost input. Maybe someone knows better than me.

With an AC30 it is the booster into the normal channel and volume on full however for Orchestrations like that it is often the little 1W Deacy amp not an AC30.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Sassafras said:
    Am I the only one who can't see the point of that video?
    Well it's from when they filmed that scene, real Brian is showing actor Brian his rock star moves for him to copy. Then release it as a seperate video on social media to keep the marketing machine rolling for the film
    second wiz-lol of the week from me. That's the closest I can give to a Hollywood Handshake. 

I watched the clip and I expected to see the actor then fake the guitar parts but that didn't happen so it was deeply anti climatic. 

I have passed up opportunities to go see Bo Rap at the cinema. I'm not entirely sure why as I love a bit of early Queen. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Sassafras said:
    Yes.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

I watched the clip and I expected to see the actor then fake the guitar parts but that didn't happen so it was deeply anti climatic. 

That's in the finished film of course. 

(thanks for the wiz-lol, I shall put it with the others in my virtual trophy cabinet).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Hattigol said:
    Sassafras said:
    Yes.
    That's a comfort. Thank you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    mort said:

It used to be his clogs that people slagged him off for, now it seems to be his hair.

Who cares? Both suit *him* perfectly even if they'd look completely stupid on anyone else. (Well, clogs look OK if you're a Dutch farmer!) I hope he never changes.

Xandoor said:

Normal channel, and with the Tone (or Cut on Top Boost models) at zero (full brightness). He also has all the other preamp valves for the Vib/Trem and Top Boost channels removed, and a solid-state rectifier in place of the valve. This actually gives the amp quite a bit more of an aggressive attack and crunch than a standard AC30.

A few years ago Vox did a signature model, with just that set-up and no controls other than volume - which he always uses full up anyway!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Xandoor said:
    Cols said:
    Sassafras said:

With an AC30 it is the booster into the normal channel and volume on full however for Orchestrations like that it is often the little 1W Deacy amp not an AC30.
    Shrill is not what I heard.  Sounds f***ing great to me, and like no one else.  Unmistakeable

What I did find shrill was the isolated AC/DC guitar tracks on YouTube, but obvs with the bass and drums going it sounds raunchy and in your face
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    Wonderfully melodic & beautifully phrased solo from the times before generic guitarists were invented. He built his guitar out of a knitting needle and some old driftwood so I'll forgive him his hair.
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Tenebrous said:
    Never was a big fan of Queen, but I'll fight anyone who doesn't think Brian May is one of the coolest to ever pick up a guitar.
    You’re heading for a good old fashioned arse whooping then ;)

No doubt - I'm a total wuss =)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Brian May would just look ridiculous with a haircut. It would be so wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    Brian May would just look ridiculous with a haircut. It would be so wrong.
    Very early photos can be quite a surprise https://www.theredspecial.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Brian_Original_1984-e1509730954997.jpg
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited January 2019
    Cols said:
    Xandoor said:
    Cols said:
    Sassafras said:

For that particular example, he has two pickups out of phase with each other.  This cancels out the common frequencies, effectively leaving the differences between the two as the signal.  This gives the distinctive screaming tone.
    Rather disappointing to see that two Brian Mays don't cancel one another out... o
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    Octafish said:
    Cols said:
      Rather disappointing to see that two Brian May's don't cancel one another out... :o

Its the hair...It forms a protective layer..

:)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    Dominic said:
    Not a Badger in sight
    May needs a haircut.......when hair goes grey and is still that long it looks very sad old rocker
    May also looks like that pillock that is on Top Gear/Grand Tour.....same name too
    Three questions;

Can an you compose and play as well as ‘ old rocker ‘ May ?

Are you as bald as a coot ?

Jealous much ?

3 Answers ;
     1) Brian May would leave me standing on the guitar but can he play Piano ?
          I have 49 years experience as a grade 8 Classical Pianist and about 25 years experience as a Jazz Pianist 
          I still don't see the relevance - Chacun a son Gout
    2)  No ,I have a full head of Salt and Pepper greyed hair cut in a style that suits a man of 57 and in tune with this century
    3) No not jealous in the least of his personal grooming / aesthetic
         Yes; jealous of his Royalties / Pension but my wife is 25 years younger and better looking than Anita Dobson
          Still don't see the relevance
    I am slightly jealous of the fact that he was good friends with Patrick Moore who would have been a delightful eccentric companion.
    I was generally commenting on his Hairstyle not his guitar ability, composition ability or Astronomy prowess (which is pretty serious )

So...you’re a hairdresser irl, drumming up business ?

Or a scout for a modelling agency ?

This is a guitar forum man, no one cares about another fella’s hair colour/style......or if he can play ‘piano’ better than you lolz.

Dont be such a ‘Richard Clayderman’  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Actually Yes dear I am a hairdresser although retired from the Salon now.........(only do privates at home )
    Used to have Richard Clayderman on in the Salon non-stop in the 80 's ............it made a refreshing modern change from Liberace !
    Where are you going for your Holidays ?
  • Dominic said:
    Actually Yes dear I am a hairdresser although retired from the Salon now.........(only do privates at home )
    Used to have Richard Clayderman on in the Salon non-stop in the 80 's ............it made a refreshing modern change from Liberace !
    Where are you going for your Holidays ?
    Maybe Barcelona for a night at the opera. Possibly just a day at the races or watch a bicycle race. 
    Im under pressure to take my best friend but I’m in love with my car. Suppose I want it all really  :)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Dominic said:
    Will you do my privates? They're looking very unkempt these days. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    Not a Badger in sight
    May needs a haircut.......when hair goes grey and is still that long it looks very sad old rocker
    May also looks like that pillock that is on Top Gear/Grand Tour.....same name too
    Image result for james may striped shirt