Gibson Winter 2019 lineup announced

What's Hot

Comments

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    TINMAN82 said:
    Website updated to a greater degree now and includes the new model specs.

The Les Paul modern in Pelham blue could prove popular
    https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/USAQ17249/les-paul-modern-coming-soon#SKU-LPM00M3CH1

They should go a bit further with this, belly cut, more modern finishes etc.
    That's how it starts, then before you know it you end up with robotuners and the Firebird X ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    TINMAN82 said:

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/USAQ17249/les-paul-modern-coming-soon#SKU-LPM00M3CH1

Agreed. Mabye to differentiate from custom shop axcess models. The graphite would’ve been better all over rather than top only. Still, these ranges are what the forums have been shouting for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnl said:
    TINMAN82 said:

That's how it starts, then before you know it you end up with robotuners and the Firebird X ;)
    I just think given how Gibson "owns" the body shape it could do more with it. Make modern guitars more like ESP Eclipses, they don't have to call them Les Paul if it bothers people. Thinner body, body cut, locking tuners, "metal" finishes. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    johnl said:
    TINMAN82 said:

I just think given how Gibson "owns" the body shape it could do more with it. Make modern guitars more like ESP Eclipses, they don't have to call them Les Paul if it bothers people. Thinner body, body cut, locking tuners, "metal" finishes. 
    Henry... is that really you?
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Gerz6558 said:
    I'm curious what the prices will look like here, especially for the les paul standard. Going off the listed dollar prices, the les paul studio is $1499. The fancy SG with the Maestro is $1999...which could place it around £1500-£1600 (I'm using a few Fender Jags and Jazzmaster models as my conversion logic).

Where does this put all of the recently released and ridiculously priced 2019 models? Studios at £1400, standards at £2600. Why bother releasing those if a few months later they are going to be swept aside by these.

If they can put out that 50's les paul standard for below £1700 I'm not sure I'll be able to resist.
    If they put out Standards at anything below £2200 i'll be amazed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 777
    rico said:
    Gerz6558 said:
    I'm curious what the prices will look like here, especially for the les paul standard. Going off the listed dollar prices, the les paul studio is $1499. The fancy SG with the Maestro is $1999...which could place it around £1500-£1600 (I'm using a few Fender Jags and Jazzmaster models as my conversion logic).

Where does this put all of the recently released and ridiculously priced 2019 models? Studios at £1400, standards at £2600. Why bother releasing those if a few months later they are going to be swept aside by these.

If they can put out that 50's les paul standard for below £1700 I'm not sure I'll be able to resist.
    The 2018 standards were below 2k weren't they? 

Let's hope the new regime are destroying the recently brought in price structure.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    edited January 2019
    Gerz6558 said:
    rico said:
    Gerz6558 said:

The 2018 standards were below 2k weren't they? 

Let's hope the new regime are destroying the recently brought in price structure.
    Not likely chap! Just looking on Andertons and a 2019 Gibson LP Standard is £2799. W.T.F
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    rico said:
    Not likely chap! Just looking on Andertons and a 2019 Gibson LP Standard is £2799. W.T.F
    Haha a serious WTF! But those were announced last year and are seemingly part of the old regime.

The dollar prices of some of these new regime 2019's seem to be more reasonable. Not expecting miracles but if they list these revised 2019 standards at 2800 I'll be disappointed.

No reason Gibson shouldn't be able to put out a decent standard for 2k. Guess we won't be waiting long to find out!
    edited January 2019
    Fingers crossed.
    Cant see how they could charge £2800 for the 50s gold top when R7s can be had for around £3500.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    edited January 2019
    Gibson are following car industry strategy now, daft list prices combined with cheap finance.

If the new regime change that, great, but they would only do that on a "race to the bottom" strategy, and there is no reason for them to unless their sales decline.

Selling guitars was never really the problem, it was all the stupid acquisitions that screwed them over.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader

Im wondering if they have dumped the dip switches on the lastest models?...  That's actually something I thought was quite a cool idea.

In looking on the web site it says the 50s and 60s specd LPs are hand wired so I guess the circuit boards are out..  But may still be on the LP Modern and the Studio types...

All quite interesting.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    Historically, while Apple was trying to capture market share in mobiles and tablets, they would sometimes drop the price on any given model year revision, claiming production efficiencies etc. It’s not really a move we’ve seen from them recently, as they are top of the heap and don’t need to / they are doing quite the opposite now. But when Jobs was “bringing them back to life” under his second coming, he did do that occasionally. Wonder if JC is doing a similar thing with Gibby. 
  • TINMAN82 said:
    johnl said:
    TINMAN82 said:

Henry... is that really you?
    An ESP Eclipse is hardly a Dusk Tiger. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Looks like they might not be done. Les Paul forum have uncovered pics of a cheaper faded standard: http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/its-official-a-new-2019-les-paul-standard-pic-included.422102/page-2
    The new 2019s have been pulled from the website and the “old” 2019s are back. Someone must be getting their wrist slapped.
  • I thought as much, maybe Henry J still has the old passwords and wanted to ruin the surprise 
  • Gerz6558 said:
    Looks like they might not be done. Les Paul forum have uncovered pics of a cheaper faded standard: http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/its-official-a-new-2019-les-paul-standard-pic-included.422102/page-2
    Nice. I was just thinking it's almost impossible to find plain tops in the Gibson and Epiphone ranges these days. 

• RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited January 2019 tFB Trader
  • That 60s Standard is beautiful.