pick up winders obviously too busy....

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10387
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:
    I recently went on the hunt for a UK made pickup, Mojo weren’t taking orders as is the norm by the time you get to the second week in the month. Oil City - website is a bit inconsistent in the drop down boxes as to what’s available long leg / short leg - some info is missing so you either have to guess or enquire.
    Ordered a Bareknuckle in the end and it arrived faulty.

Never had any of these issues with Seymour Duncan - sorry but everyone is competing in the same relatively small market. 
    I wish you had popped me an e mail to point out any shortcomings with the site info and dropdown boxes ... then I could have rectified them ...by poking our web design bod with a very sharp stick. If I had the cash to throw at issues available to Seymour Duncan then I could have paid out the several thousands of dollars it probably cost to produce a site like theirs. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    dindude said:
    I recently went on the hunt for a UK made pickup, Mojo weren’t taking orders as is the norm by the time you get to the second week in the month. Oil City - website is a bit inconsistent in the drop down boxes as to what’s available long leg / short leg - some info is missing so you either have to guess or enquire.
    Ordered a Bareknuckle in the end and it arrived faulty.

Never had any of these issues with Seymour Duncan - sorry but everyone is competing in the same relatively small market. 
    I wish you had popped me an e mail to point out any shortcomings with the site info and dropdown boxes ... then I could have rectified them ...by poking our web design bod with a very sharp stick. If I had the cash to throw at issues available to Seymour Duncan then I could have paid out the several thousands of dollars it probably cost to produce a site like theirs. 

Yes I’m guilty of being one of those people who wants things to just work else I move on. Most others would have more patience / time. 

Can’t remember the specifics but I was in the vintage humbucker section and it’s just the descriptions / options in the tops downs couldn’t quite get me to where I needed to be.

Still looking for a HB sized P90 so will give it another go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I really would like to point out that out of the two companies who were slow to respond to the the original poster, I was the one who took the time to come on here and take the criticism on the chin. As the original poster didn't name Oil City, I stuck my hand up and acknowledged that I was one of the companies ... even though I could have simply ignored it and remained anonymous. The price of involvement with the Fretboard Forum is you put yourself in the firing line, which I have been happy to do. 

^ Good for you mister - I've order two set of pickups from Ash directly with no issues on either occasion and I plan to do a tele set this year (and strat if I can stretch to it cash wise).

3-4 days to get a response on pickups does not seem like an issue to me, same working week seems a reasonable turnaround.

The last time I talked to SD’s custom shop it too them far longer to get back to me (weeks), to then tell me I had to order via a UK certified pickup supplier, now that was a frustrating five or six weeks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 966
    I’d just like to say I didn’t name anyone in my rant as I’m not in the business of trying to tarnish reputations..my rant was borne out of frustration as at the same time I’ve been having trouble trying to get a plumber to do a job for me and being largely ignored. I do not have an attitude and when contacting businesses I am polite and courteous. I appreciate you stepping up Ash and putting yourself forward as one of those I contacted and because of that I shall respond to your email this evening after work. ( I also run my own business and I’m a one man operation)
    :)
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    Try Alegree they've been quick for me!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    JohnCordy said:
    Try Alegree they've been quick for me!
    Happy to say after thoroughly checking my inboxes I'm not involved in this.
    I would be surprised if I were though, I aim to rarely have customers waiting longer than 12 hours for a response.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    I've always found @TheGuitarWeasel really quick to respond to my queries and whatever I've ordered from Ash (from wiring harnesses to fully loaded scratchplates) has always turned up far more quickly than I anticipated. I'm also the least patient man in the world (or at least I thought I was until I read the initial post in this thread)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3989
    skaguitar said:
    I shall respond to your email this evening after work. ( I also run my own business and I’m a one man operation)
    Pickup customers too busy to respond to emails now, is it?
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 966
    prlgmnr said:
    skaguitar said:
    I shall respond to your email this evening after work. ( I also run my own business and I’m a one man operation)
    Pickup customers too busy to respond to emails now, is it?
    At least it’ll be quicker than 4 days ;)
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I don't see a few days response as unreasonable especially for small pickup maker or guitar builders etc, we've only got so many hours a day and one pair of hands

I know I'd rather wait than have any sd pickup, I've never liked them much anyway
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10387
    tFB Trader
    To be honest at this point I'm going to leave this thread. I've been seriously considering my involvement in Fretboard since having a mauling in another recent thread ... now I have even more to think about. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

8reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    To be honest at this point I'm going to leave this thread. I've been seriously considering my involvement in Fretboard since having a mauling in another recent thread ... now I have even more to think about. 
    I for one truly hope it doesn't come to that, it would certainly be a big loss to the forum.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I know how you feel, lets hope you still stick around, it's so easy to say oh f##k off as it gets very personal and definitely not needed

I try not to get too involved now myself and I'm not sure I'd post anything meaningful or useful for quite some time

You can't please all the people all the time
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
    Take no notice mate... just carry on doing what you're doing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I don’t think this thread has been too controversial - just real customers stating what their experience is. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22811
    Oh, way to go guys, let's drive another manufacturer off the forum.  There won't be any left soon.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Please don't do that. There are several here who really enjoy your posts and if I was ever in the market, oil city would be my one and only stop as a result
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Failing to respond in a timeframe that "you" happen to think is unreasonable is not a sign of contempt. It is a sign of seeing things differently, which I think is still allowed.

#entitlement
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Mauling? Seriously? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited January 2019
    I think that a sense of perspective is required here. 

If the OPs enquiries were sent out on Wednesday then today is day 3. We are 2 working days in to the enquiries and a response has been sent from one company on a non-business day. That’s 48 working hours. 

Depending on the business type, that’s not unreasonable at all. 

And here’s the rub - a pickup winding business is a labour intensive highly skilled business. If a winder replied within a few hours I’d personally be a bit concerned that they weren’t concentrating on the job of crafting their products well and were distracted. I’d wonder how long it was going to take to turn up and how much attention had gone into it. 

Either way, it’s nice to see the forum hasn’t lost its ability to take a large handgun and liberally shoot itself in the foot once again by kicking another business that contributes heavily to the forum. 

Next time a business asks to join to promote their products I’ll make sure I tell them that we encourage them to take part and contribute to the forum as a whole and that they should expect to get a good kicking in the process. That should put them off sufficiently.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.