Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ash, don't leave us!

What's Hot
I didn't chip in to the discussion concerning pickup makers and slow replies, mainly because I had nothing to say on the matter, but being a big fan of Ash's input into this forum, I just wanted to echo what some others said on there. Don't go, mate!!!

Who feels the same?
6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Me too. Every time I've phoned him for advice on pickups he's the best there is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone that wants to call me an arse licker, feel free. I can take it ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I’d like to say that I don’t blame him. There’s only so many “experts” one can handle on one forum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3201
    Haven’t read the discussion but as is always the case in this sort of situation, we are in a better place when businesses are present and involved. Every business that ends up leaving or taking an increasingly back seat is a loss.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5161
    I’ve only just read the closed thread this morning and was dismayed to hear that Ash is considering leaving.....He not only contributes massively by his extremely generous raffle prizes, but he always replies knowledgeably on any thread with regard to his field of expertise and is an absolute Gentleman....
    I think it would be a very sad day if he leaves... :s

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Haven’t read the discussion but as is always the case in this sort of situation, we are in a better place when businesses are present and involved. Every business that ends up leaving or taking an increasingly back seat is a loss.
    To sum it up, a thread (not naming the 3 businesses involved) was started for ranting purposes. When Ash identified himself as one of the businesses, it was debated that 48 hours was too long for an independent company to answer an email.

For me, there is no incentive to post on forums much these days. The forum rant is the new weapon against businesses. It’s a bloody immature way for an adult to conduct himself on the internet. Grow up, put the rattle back in the pram and use the phone if you want a quicker response from someone who is clearly busy at their craft.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 23reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Anyone that wants to call me an arse licker, feel free. I can take it ;-)
    Is this the new way of restarting threads which have just been closed? 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I only read the pickup winder discussion because it was closed which made it seem more exciting.
    Ash / @TheGuitarWeasel is a valued member  of the forum and I tell people about the Oil City in my Fender with pride. 
    I think people forget sometimes how much positivity and just ordinariness goes on here when the small amount of negative stuff sticks out. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    Let's hope that it doesn't get diverted that way, but in the spirit of changing the subject, I have enjoyed the recent videos you've posted on here ;-)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6807
    edited January 2019
    I only heard about oil city through ash’s presence on this forum, and have bought a cowtron and am about to buy a mighty ninety. So there are benefits to businesses posting and interacting here.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    I'm allowing it for now, partly because I'm not 100% impartial here and I've had great service from Oil City in the past, and partly because I think the forum will be poorer having lost another great business who's been here almost from the beginning.

If it turns into a rehash of the closed thread, then...either I go on an editing-and-warning spree, or it's closed again...or possibly both.

Let's all be sensible here, eh?
    <space for hire>
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I would certainly miss Ash's contributions, knowledge, and just the ability to contact him on here. The threads he's done showing various interesting pickup builds and repairs have been fascinating stuff. And in general I always read his posts when I see them. Not to mention the occasional bargain pickup offers, which again, are much appreciated.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    edited January 2019
    lonestar said:

For me, there is no incentive to post on forums much these days.
    Sorry to single your post out @lonestar but I think this forum and any popular forum for that matter is a great platform for smaller guitar based companies. 

I wouldn’t have a scooby who you were if it wasn’t for this forum and I’m sure you’ve picked up lots of business from here. If I wanted a body doing I’d be looking you up (favouring Gibson’s at the moment so unlikely at the current time) and likewise I’ve got some pickups from @TheGuitarWeasel ‘s range.

And if anyone asked me about pickups and guitar finishing these are two names I’d put forward based on what I’ve seen/heard on this forum.

You get dicks in all walks of life and particularly online - you just have to just ignore them or if it’s really bad trust the Modmins to clean things up.

In fact we are all dicks sometimes!  Although I’d like to think I’ve never done anything to damage or upset a small business...

mrkb said:
    I only heard about oil city through ash’s presence on this forum, and have bought a control and am about to buy a mighty ninety. So there are benefits to businesses posting and interacting here.
    Yep. That’s what I was trying to get across. You summed it up more succinctly!
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I would also be sorry to see Ash leave as he is an actual expert on his subject as opposed to a self appointed 'expert' of which there is no shortage on Internet forums.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14425
    If you wish to make it worth the pickup, effect and guitar component makers’ time to maintain a presence on this forum, buy their stuff. 

That is all. Thank you.

Mahatma Coat.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Perhaps if some people were less ‘aggressive’ in their postings/opinions and tried to resolve issues without being so emotive, there wouldn’t be the need for things like this.

I welcome Ash’s input, I also welcome the input of all our pickup winders and guitar professionals. Without them it would just be a bunch of dullard opinionated bores, whinging about how troubled their lives are by unimportant things.

Stick around Ash. Please.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Just read that thread, good God!

Lee nailed it when closing the thread, it's a sensible point to debate, i.e. "what is a fair and acceptable response time to queries for a small businessman selling high-end hand made product?" and it turned into everyone piling in with their beefs.

It isn't millenials who are entitled snowflakes, it's fucking everyone, we all suck like Lindsay Lohan on an oil rig.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    It would.be a shame to lose another business contributor. 

To anyone who's minded to concur with the original criticisms, please consider there are businesses in all walks of life that can only produce product for sale by the employment of labour. If you expect a business owner to drop everything to deal with you and your enquiry, expect that business to quickly seek to outsource to a cheap labour market. 

I run my own business and everything that generates an income is the result of time and materials. We don't just buy more in, this is how it is for any bespoke manufacturer. If you want instant be prepared for limited options and a certain distance to the person actually making the stuff.

Most people,  myself included make things for sale because of a love of the product/material/process, we recognise that we will never get rich doing it but we hope we will leave the world with something that is memorable. Can't hope for more.

So, to Ash, please give it a day or two, the perspective of time will hopefully allow you to put it behind you. But also, you know how you deal with potential and actually customers, you've probably got the balance about right so don't overreact and skew your responses. Only the sort of customer you probably don't want demands instant engagement,  if they're normal they will understand the pressures you're under and give you some leeway. I know I would. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    I didn’t read the last 40 or so posts on that thread but I’m struggling to imagine a narrative that warrants going from a supplier engaging with a customer in public to feeling they don’t want to be here. 

This forum has some of the finest folks on the internet, surely we can all voice an opinion while still showing common courtesy and respect. 

Anyways, I just wanted to tip my hat in the ring supporting those that give their time and knowledge to the rest of us mortals 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    This place is great but can be toxic at the same time. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.