Building an inexpensive effects chain - help appreciated

What's Hot
geetarguy85geetarguy85 Frets: 51
edited January 2019 in FX

Hello all,

I’m considering building up an inexpensive pedal board mainly for home use and I’d love to get your expert opinions on some of my choices. My budget is somewhere around the £200 mark including a PSU, and I’m happy to go for good condition used stuff rather than brand new. The board itself will be DIY. I’ve got some of the pedals already as indicated in the list.

I play a wide range of styles including blues (typically Eric Clapton, Gary Moore, Joe Bonamassa), pop rock (often with an 80s vibe such as The 1975 and Walk the Moon), hard rock (e.g. Black Stone Cherry) and metal (stuff like Trivium, Bullet for my Valentine, Atreyu). So the board will need to serve all of these genres

I will be playing into Bias Amp or ToneStack.

Here it goes:

Wah - Morley Tremonti Wah (already have)

Compressor - TC Electronic Forcefield ?

Drive - Blackstar LT Drive ?

Distortion - Digitech DF-7 (already have)

Fuzz - Big Muff Pi Nano (already have)

Chorus - ?

Phaser - ? (I think this’ll be lowest priority so if it doesn’t fit into the budget, no biggie)

Delay - ? (I’m expecting to spend the most here)

Looper - Digitech Jamman Solo XT (already have)

Alternatively, would I be better off spending that £200 on a decent multi effects pedal such as a Boss ME80 or Zoom G5n?

Thanks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I would buy an used Line 6 M9 for under £150. 
    The worst things on it are the drive pedals (The tube driver is usable though) but you have enough stuff already to sort that. 
    You then have £50 for a PSU of some sorts. Maybe a one spot or something (Sorry PSU pricing is not my thing). 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Rather than hoping that people will tell you what you should have, you must decide what sound(s) you want. Then, having told us, you will get an avalanche of suggestions here. IMHO your best option is to visit your local music shop and try these things for yourself. A small/limited budget is not a big issue - you may need to prioritise your intended purchases.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    The M9 is a good shout, most of the effects are good (although I agree the drives are its weak spot). Otherwise you could go for something like Mooer or Rowin pedals which are pretty cheap but still sound decent. Most of them are clones of classic pedals. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    PSU = Thomann Harley Benton powerplant Junior
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    to save lots of cash, look at the Joyo clones
  • Are you in a hurry? You can probably pick up a decent collection of Boss pedals for less than £50 each.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    edited January 2019
    A Boss multi fx is an easy answer, plenty of them well in your reach on eBay, each with tons of sounds, rather than take the same money and spend it on like three pedals you might end up not liking/being unable to shift.
  • Thanks everyone.

To answer @Rocker 's question, I'd be looking for enough tonal versatility to cover the genres a listed but some particular sounds I'd be interested include:

1. A twangy, compressed 80s style clean (e.g. as heard on Aquaman by Walk the Moon)

2. Compressed cleans with chorus, as often heard with bands like The 1975

3. Straightforward low gain and higher gain blues tones

4. Classic metal tones (think Metallica and Megadeth late 80s)

5. Modern metal tones (e.g. Trivium, Periphery)

6. Saturated high gain leads
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    If its bedroom use i'd go for a swish mfx unit, you can they experiment with the bazillions of effects there and have a bit of fun. Something like the line 6 HD500 would cover what you want and they should be under £200 used. The reverbs & delays (imo) are really fantastic on it. If your willing to tweak (the software is very good for it) you can dial in the high gain stuff too - or you can go on the L6 website and just download the 1000's of patches users have uploaded. 
  • mfinmfin Frets: 41
    For the blues tones on the dead cheap, try a Mosky Obsessive Drive (£17) and a Donner Blues Drive (£25). Run them low to medium gain and stack them for the higher gain stuff.

• ColsCols Frets: 6998
    I’m a pedal guy, but for your requirements I’d have to say a decent multifx would be most appropriate.  A Boss GT8 or GT10 should come in well within budget and cover all the bases.