powered speaker for helix

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
Helix - it's fine as a pedalboard - but hasn't been gigged yet as we are on a temporary hold waiting for news on the bass player :)

however i'd like to get a powered monitor for it to see what it's like in rehearsal prior to maybe flogging the 2 x 12 and blackstar head as I have got an ok marshall sound and an ok fendery cleanish sound at home so it's looking positive.

I also have a summer gig coming up playing acoustic fingerstyle (no vocal) for about 45 mins - maybe two slots doing the same and I'll run the guitar through the helix

So it's time I thought about speakers.  S/h of course - and sensibly priced if possible - i can go mad and spend more money if I end up flogging the blackstar.  I have a friend who uses some form of sony pa speaker (i'm asking him what he uses also)

Apologies if this has been covered before - but what's the advice on which powered monitor to choose - i'm not fussed if it looks like a PA speaker to be honest.  I'd rather have a nice sounding rig that's flexible and easy to cart around, rather than something that looks like a guitar speaker.  or what to avoid which is an equally valid answer.

thanks a lot 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6799
    See if Andertons still have the S/H dxr10s for sale at £250 that’s a great price.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    nickp said:

Apologies if this has been covered before 
    err,  just a bit

The Yamaha DXR10 gets a lot of love (I use one and rate it too) 

Things like the cheaper Alto are fine - until you A/B them with a nicer one like the DXR10

Forget what you know about speaker size - a 12"  PA driver is going to be too much low end (imo)

Some people swear by Atomic CLR but it's expensive

When most of us got our active speakers the Line6 PowerCab didn't exist, so definitely worth checking out 

(as is the Helix megathread) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    I'd plump for one of the following;

- Red Sound RG12

- DXR 10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Not a cheap option but the Atomic CLR sounds huge with a Modeller
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    How loud do you need to be?  If it’s just for monitoring you’d be surprised at what you can get away with, I quite often use a DB Technologies B-Hype 8 with are anout £140.  Also have a DXR10 which sounds fab, and is louder than you would ever need, a used one of those would be a great choice, or something similar
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    John_A said:
    How loud do you need to be?  If it’s just for monitoring you’d be surprised at what you can get away with, I quite often use a DB Technologies B-Hype 8 with are anout £140.  Also have a DXR10 which sounds fab, and is louder than you would ever need, a used one of those would be a great choice, or something similar
    loud :)
    thanks folks.  I've had a look at the megathread before buying but will delve again soon (when I have got a new bottle of wine to drink)
    nickp said:
    John_A said:
    loud :)
    In that case a DXR10 is probably the best value option out there.  Also a QSC k10.2, or RCF710 would more than do the job
  • Alto are fine, but Gear4Music and Thomann do their own brands. Buying used is also cheaper. The way the Watts are done with PA gear annoys me compared to guitar gear.
    TimmyO said:
    nickp said:

Apologies if this has been covered before 
    err,  just a bit

The Yamaha DXR10 gets a lot of love (I use one and rate it too) 

Things like the cheaper Alto are fine - until you A/B them with a nicer one like the DXR10

Forget what you know about speaker size - a 12"  PA driver is going to be too much low end (imo)

Some people swear by Atomic CLR but it's expensive

When most of us got our active speakers the Line6 PowerCab didn't exist, so definitely worth checking out 

(as is the Helix megathread) 
    thanks for this - I was wondering about 12" :)

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    Another vote for the DXR10.

It's very loud and has enough low end for my Low B bass. More than enough for a guitar.

Anyway - most good patches use the Low Cuts so the low end of the cab doesn't get bothered at all. If you are cutting at 80hz or 100hz then you don't need a cab that goes much lower.
    from a bit of a read about the DXR10 it looks to be the "one" as it's been getting a lot of love.  OK, just need to find a second hand "one" and not a pair (and add a second if /when funds permit)
  • nickp said:
    from a bit of a read about the DXR10 it looks to be the "one" as it's been getting a lot of love.  OK, just need to find a second hand "one" and not a pair (and add a second if /when funds permit)
    There’s one on eBay but it’s collection only
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    edited January 2019
    I went high-end and bought a couple of HK Linear 5 L5 112 XA which can also be used as a FoH PA. In fact, I've now got 4 of them - two for FoH and a pair for monitors. It's not a cheap option though, and mine see most use as a PA.

R.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    nickp said:
    Andertons had a couple used in the January sale.
    Theres one in Birmingham on ebay for £225 OBO which is an absolute steal, he may be persuaded to post it if you ask him
    edited January 2019
    thanks @John_A ;;        I've popped the question to see if he'll courier
    Incidentally my mate also uses a DXR10 professionally
    nickp said:
    thanks @John_A ;;        I've popped the question to see if he'll courier
    Incidentally my mate also uses a DXR10 professionally
    Good luck - They are really good!  Mine sits here most of the time.  I usually use a little DB Technologies B-Hype 8 which weighs about 4kg and is tiny, it sounds remarkably close to the DXR, obviously no-where hear the volume, but more than enough for personal monitoring in a 4-piece band with a loud drummer and bassist.  
  • I have one of those B-Hype 8s - mainly used as a monitor for e-drums but I have tried it with my GSP1101 and it sounded pretty good to me! I've not tried a DXR but I did have an Alto 210 and I wasn't that keen - it sounded very muffled to me. It was a B stock one from Bax though...so may have been faulty in some way. People swear by them.