Humbucker For A Tele

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1746
I've just purchased a Vintage V62 tele. Very impressed with it and going to be using it as my main gigging guitar. With this in mind i'm thinking about fitting a humbucker in the rear. I don't want to spoil the look of the guitar or have to modify it so i'm thinking a single coil sized humbucker for the tele would be best.

Any reccomendations?

Also going to put a black pickguard on it 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited April 2014
    Depends- it is always a compromise.
    There are no single coil sized pickups that sound the same as a humbucker.
    All of the stacks and rails pretty much suck IMHO.
    The soul of a Tele really is down to that back pickup- in the last 20 years of playing Tele's I've come to accept that and mostly put in beefy singles rather than try to get it to be something that it is not.

I have a Harmonic Designs Super 90 which is essentially a P90 style in a Tele single coil casing that sounds great with gain, preserves the tone of a Tele but sounds more ROCK!

Otherwise Barden do a great modern T rails type pickup.
    Go for 'modern', not the Gatton.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Duncan 1/4 pounder would work well too
  • Depends what you're after exactly - I'd suggest the DiMarzio Area Hot T if you want traditional Tele tone with a little more bulk, body, output and the ability to get 'PAF'-ish. If you want something in the more typical Humbucker tonal range, try the Chopper T.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    plenty vids demo'ing pups on youtube. I'd not discount the single coil size buckers...i know how effective they are in one of my Strats! The JB Jnr and lil 59 both sound great in the bridge position on a Strat so why not in a Tele? My Tele i've vowed will remain a true and real Tele so will retain a bridge single coil forever. If I want a bucker guitar i've got plenty of them on other guitars! To me a Tele is a twang machine so I won't ruin that. Hot single coils are a good idea if your not dead set on a bucker...Texas Specials or as suggested a Duncan QP. Also mr Ash of this parish could make summat to your desired specs/tonality to! :)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    Don't do it.

Get a hot single
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 89
    edited April 2014
    I have a vintage v62 Tele as well!
    had a seymour 1/4 pounder already in the bridge fitted when I got it.the seymour is a quality sounding pickup .have another Tele with hot rail in bridge and the 1/4 pounder is just so much thicker sounding clean and dirty.
    It retains the Tele twang but add dirt and it's a beast!
    Added Wilkinson p90 in the neck to my v62. Great sounding guitar and great neck. Very impressed .
    So much so , that I am going to pick another up and use all the parts to make a telemaster :)
    don't know where your based but I'm
    in Leeds ,more than welcome to try it?
    Cheers Mark .
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Used to be in Leeds Mark but now down south. Glad to hear someone else is using a V62.

I'll have a look online at some reviews and then take the punt for a new pickup. Going to keep the single coil in the front as i think it sounds great.
  • I will be removing a Seymour Duncan lil'59 from the bridge pos on my tele this weekend if its of any interest to you? Black one!
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Yes for sure !
    Let me know how much you would like for it

• I'll pm you now mate!!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27474
    Oil City Diesel Tap.

Does what it says in the blurb.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Keep a single coil in there.