Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rival Sons

What's Hot

Comments

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    Leeds for me as wel @John_P ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Enjoy guys, this is one of those bands that passed me by.

I remember hearing/watching the drummer making an expansion pack for Ez Drummer 2 & he sounded awesome “Big drums tuned high” was his mantra.  

I assume the drums on their records sound great?

Found it!
    https://youtu.be/Q43u4gLUrho

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    I now have a spare ticket for tonight in Glasgow, my mate can't make it anymore.

Does anyone want it?

• DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3822
    edited February 2019
    Well, it was a good show, I'm sure anybody else who's seeing them in the next few days won't be disappointed! 

Never seen them live so was interested to see how they'd sound, especially the vocals as he's got quite a high pitched, 'strained' kinda vocal style. It's the sort of style that if you're not super accurate with pitch it can just sound like someone's strangling a cat. Thankfully, he was pretty much bang on all the way through, sounded very much identical to the power and intensity of the records. Not sure how he keeps doing that night after night on a tour, as it must really take its toll on his throat!

Guitar tones were fuzztastic all night, as expected. All his weird and wonderful looking guitars sounded great. The one that got the most action was probably the double-neck SG, as he seems to have used that on a number of tracks from the new album. Only slight hiccup was when I think he hit the wrong pedal going into the solo for for one song and ended up completely muffling the sound of his lovely '62 Jazzmaster for a few seconds while he frantically tap-danced around trying to find the right one!

Biggest standout of the night was the drummer. I hadn't realised how good a drummer he is! Extended improvised drum-solo intro to Hollow Bones was spectacular!

Only complaint was that Northumbria Universiy Union is a shit venue for sound. It's obviously set up as more of a nightclub type venue, with all the hanging PA speakers pointing into the dancefloor area. That only constitutes about a third of the venue space, so if you're stood out to either side of that space (as I was) the sound was way too quiet. The bass was also non-exisrent in the mix from where I was stood. My hearing is completely perfect this morning, no ringing or buzzing at all - that's not supposed to happen after a rock gig!!  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I went to see Rival Sons in Newcastle last night, and they were absolutely incredible.

They are on a tour so I recommend checking them out.

I'd heard a few things by them before the gig, but wouldn't say I was a 'fan' or anything, but I definitely am now :)

The guitarist used about 6 different guitars for some reason, seemed to be changing them after nearly every song. He was on the opposite side of the stage from me though so couldn't really see the guitars very well, looked like some nice gear though.

Anyway, bit of a random thread but I'm buzzing off the gig today, with a bit of a sore head from the drink ;)

Paul

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Love 'Pressure and Time' - great song!
  • Thread about it here :-) 
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/148517/rival-sons#latest

im off to see them on Monday 
  • I went to see Rival Sons in Newcastle last night, and they were absolutely incredible.

They are on a tour so I recommend checking them out.

I'd heard a few things by them before the gig, but wouldn't say I was a 'fan' or anything, but I definitely am now :)

The guitarist used about 6 different guitars for some reason, seemed to be changing them after nearly every song. He was on the opposite side of the stage from me though so couldn't really see the guitars very well, looked like some nice gear though.

Anyway, bit of a random thread but I'm buzzing off the gig today, with a bit of a sore head from the drink ;)

Paul

I was there too. Definitely never seen a guitsrigu swap guitars so often! There's a great Rig Rundown from Premier Guitar showing off some his gear from a few years ago. Seems to have added a few since then...

• It was a fantastic gig, really enjoyed it :)
  • Brilliant, cheers for posting that I'll have a watch.  :)

I find it amazing that these were playing at the Uni, they seem like they should be more popular or 'bigger' than the Uni.
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    Scott Holiday is a great player! His rig rundown is one of the best ones for me
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9308
    They’re a cool band. I’ve seen them support Deep Purple and they were excellent.
    Theres an interview with them in Guitar magazine this month that’s worth checking out
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Their singer's pretty damn good. Jay Buchanan?
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    edited February 2019
    I watched them support Sabbath at the farewell gig in Birmingham and they were great, my mate and I both looked at each other after their set and said we have to see them when they tour. Going to see them on Tuesday night, really looking forward to it! I think the new album is the most consistent they have put out so far
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    I'm desperately trying to score tickets to take my son here in that London next week...  Might chance my arm with the scalpers on the night.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Desperately trying to score a brace of tickets for the show in that London, if anyone has spares.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • I'm not familiar but just wondering if all the guitar swapping was due to the use of alternate tunings?    I've read about bands like Sonic Youth and The Tragically Hip touring with multiple guitars all tuned for certain songs.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    edited February 2019
    I'm not familiar but just wondering if all the guitar swapping was due to the use of alternate tunings?    I've read about bands like Sonic Youth and The Tragically Hip touring with multiple guitars all tuned for certain songs.

Scott Holliday is simply a gear nut, and changes guitars frequently during a set because he can.  There's an interview with him in January's Guitar magazine and he admits this is the only reason he swaps so often, and because he thought it was cool when he saw Tom Petty & Mike Campbell doing so during a live show - https://guitar.com/features/interviews/interview-rival-sons-on-keeping-the-rock-n-roll-flame-alive/.
    StefB said:
    I'm not familiar but just wondering if all the guitar swapping was due to the use of alternate tunings?    I've read about bands like Sonic Youth and The Tragically Hip touring with multiple guitars all tuned for certain songs.

Scott Holliday is simply a gear nut, and changes guitars frequently during a set because he can.  There's an interview with him in a recent copy of Guitar & Bass and he admits this is the only reason he swaps so often.
    So what's his username on here? :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    MODS: threads merged

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback