Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NAMM - New 20W Marshalls?

What's Hot

Comments

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    They're nice little cabs, decent speakers too in G12H30 Anniversaries.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    shaunm said:
    I’d hate to be trying to sell a 2203 right now
    yeah but if you can accomodate a 100w version you still should :)

• slateslate Frets: 89
    Heads up - the whole range is showing as "in stock" at GAK already. Just ordered the SV20H :-) 
    2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    slate said:
    Heads up - the whole range is showing as "in stock" at GAK already. Just ordered the SV20H :-) 
    Just FYI, Gak's "in stock" status basically means they've heard a rumour from a guy in a pub that there is a guy whose brother can maybe get you one within the next 6 months, but they have to remember his phone number first because they can only remember the first 3 digits...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    ICBM said

The diagonal 2061 cab is great too, and looks the best of any of them.
    Are they still even making 2061cx cabs? They've been impossible to find for ages. Which is a shame!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Nope, 2061CX cabs and the 2061X head have been discontinued.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I’ve got this one in the classifieds, nor a Marshall, but same size as the 2061cx

• slateslate Frets: 89
    edited January 2019
    slate said:
    Just FYI, Gak's "in stock" status basically means they've heard a rumour from a guy in a pub that there is a guy whose brother can maybe get you one within the next 6 months, but they have to remember his phone number first because they can only remember the first 3 digits...
    Haha, I've seen the various threads about this but never had a problem personally when ordering from them. 
    According to the GAK rep I spoke to this morning, they had 2 plexi heads in stock. I brought one so theres one left with more on order. :-) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A said:
    I’ve got this one in the classifieds, nor a Marshall, but same size as the 2061cx

Looks great , stoneham isn’t too far from me .
  • ChesterChester Frets: 52
    https://www.dawsons.co.uk/blog/namm-2019-marshall-studio-series-vintage-and-classic-amps-overview

Could be interesting, but need to hear one in person before I buy. Are these cathode biased?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24273
    shaunm said:
    I’d hate to be trying to sell a 2203 right now
    I’m now thinking of a 100w.

Might find a bargain. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    edited January 2019
    Chester said:

Could be interesting, but need to hear one in person before I buy. Are these cathode biased?
    Yes. I assume the 5W mode works by turning off one power valve, although I may be wrong on that - but if so, it means that the two valves may be independently cathode biased, which to me gives more of a 'fixed-bias-like' sound than the shared resistor used in most, including the 18W series. Or they could do it by just turning off the input signal to one and leaving both valves running, but I think Mesa has a patent on that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    slate said:
    slate said:
    Haha, I've seen the various threads about this but never had a problem personally when ordering from them. 
    According to the GAK rep I spoke to this morning, they had 2 plexi heads in stock. I brought one so theres one left with more on order. :-) 
    Cool, you'll be the first non-biased person to hear one :) Please share your thoughts :)

I like the idea of the vintage version, but the NMV thing is putting me off a bit, I bet it's FO loud even on the 5w setting...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, it's probably still loud enough to match a drum kit on the 5w setting. Between the two there's not a huge difference in tone, the 800 is just a bit more aggressive and tight but more controllable. They both sound amazing in person anyway  the 1959 is a bit more touch sensitive and fun to play.

I'm very happy with my Jubilee but still considering getting one of these - possibly the Plexi. The Jubilee probably gets close enough to the 800 to get me by!
  • Real world demo with the Studio Vintage head on Musicians Roadhouse forum, does sound extremely good !
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited January 2019
    Where does this leave the 'Origin' series...gathering dust I imagine.

I'd say Marhsall's use of the 'Studio' name is apt ...alot of studios still have big JCM800's heads etc. and they must groan every time a band wants to ...'just warm her up' and play for 15mins.

I can't see me resisting the JCM800 head TBH.  Can anyone tell if the 'fabrix' on the front of the head is actually fabric ...God I hope it isn't plastic made to look like fabric which I have seen them do lately... see below..

edited January 2019
    Re my comment above, I've just zoomed in on the images on Andertons site images and it's looks like there's a slight irregularity to the weave on the front and that means it must be fabric...disaster averted Marshall!

Total misfire on the 10" combos though.  Even the 5w Slash combo shipped with a 12" a few years back (it may have been slightly bigger cabinet?).

I could imagine a 12" sounding a bit boxy etc in the Studio series sized cabinet though so if they were fixed to that size format then maybe the blind tests did point towards a 10" (or it's a pack of marketing BS)

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I was watching demos of these yesterday, I've not had GAS pangs for a Marshall amp since my teens, but these have got me interested.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    I really shouldn't need this or want this as I have a Bogner Atma which has all those sounds with a  Bogner flavour but i must admit they sound great.
    edited January 2019
    Lads, they have a RED rocker power switch.  There's something cool about flicking that on hey?

Whack a analogue delay pedal thru it and there;s your rock sound sorted.

Stages will be full of them