SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SORTED: Musicmaster Bass / Squire Gary Jarman bass

Jeddy3Jeddy3 Frets: 80
edited February 2019 in Basses £
Hi. I'm on the lookout for a Musicmaster bass. Preferably in white but I'll consider other colours depending on condition and price. Would also be interested in the Squire Vista series Musicmasters and i'm also looking for a Squire Gary Jarman signature model.

Cheers,

Dan
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
    Hi Dan

A guy has just posted an early 70s MM on Basschat in white (now cream) which has a Lollar pickup.  Looks very nice and the Lollar will be a big improvement on the original. 

Cheers

Guy
  • Jeddy3Jeddy3 Frets: 80
    Guy, 

Oh yeah I saw that actually. Does look nice, (especially with the Lollar pup) but he's in Barcelona I think. Was trying to find one closer to home if possible. 

Cheers,

Dan
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
    Maybe combine a nice holiday in the Costa de Sol?!!!  ;)
    surfguy13 said:
    Maybe combine a nice holiday in the Costa de Sol?!!!  ;)
    Haha yeah maybe I will!
    Bump
  • There's a Jarman bass on eBay atm. 
    There's a Jarman bass on eBay atm. 
    Yeah thanks, I've already seen that but he's unable to ship it unfortunately  :'(
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    surfguy13 said:
    Lollar pickup will be a big improvement on the original. 
    The original Fender Musicmaster Bass pickup is, essentially, a flush poles Mustang guitar pickup under a closed plastic cover.

A Duncan '51 style Precision Bass pickup should directly retrofit (except for the plastic cover).

Bridgehouse might recommend an Oil City Pickups Overkill R-style pickup on a '51 P-style bobbin form.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited February 2019
    surfguy13 said:
    The original Fender Musicmaster Bass pickup is, essentially, a flush poles Mustang guitar pickup under a closed plastic cover.

A Duncan '51 style Precision Bass pickup should directly retrofit (except for the plastic cover).

Bridgehouse might recommend an Oil City Pickups Overkill R-style pickup on a '51 P-style bobbin form.
    Yes I expect the Lollar is a huge improvement on the original Strat style pickup. Definitely something I would look to do when I acquire one. Thanks.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    surfguy13 said:

Nah - Duncan style 51 in a musicmaster every day of the week !!
    Bridgehouse said:
    Duncan style 51 in a musicmaster every day of the week !!
    By any chance, do you know where the OP could obtain such a thing at a reasonable price? ;)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Bridgehouse said:
    Duncan style 51 in a musicmaster every day of the week !!
    By any chance, do you know where the OP could obtain such a thing at a reasonable price? ;)
    I have one, but I’m keeping it, you know, just in case a project comes along it might need to go in.. like a musicmaster ;)
  • I have a 2005 Crafted in Japan Mustang Bass RI in nice cream/off white with tortoiseshell scratch plate, good condition and with Hiscox LiteFlite Case available if that may be of interest me, send me a message if it is !
    Another option is the Squier Mikey Way signature Mustang Bass. This is supplied with a passive EMG35-sized humbucker, making it a doddle to upgrade the sound without needing to modify the body or pickguard.

Come to think of it, an EMG-S, -SA, -SX or -SAX pickup would fit into a Musicmaster or Bronco bass and still sense the strings correctly.
    Another option is the Squier Mikey Way signature Mustang Bass. This is supplied with a passive EMG35-sized humbucker, making it a doddle to upgrade the sound without needing to modify the body or pickguard.

Come to think of it, an EMG-S, -SA, -SX or -SAX pickup would fit into a Musicmaster or Bronco bass and still sense the strings correctly.
    Yeah I've been on the lookout for one of those also. Even considered a Squire Bronco but I don't really know how great they and what I'd end up having to upgrade to make it worthwhile.
    The Squier Bronco is all a bit cheap 'n' nasty, to be honest. The Badtz Maru version has amusing visuals to appeal to Hello Kitty fans.

If you have the budget for an original USA Musicmaster Bass, check out the new Fender American Performer series Mustang Bass. 
    The Squier Bronco is all a bit cheap 'n' nasty, to be honest. The Badtz Maru version has amusing visuals to appeal to Hello Kitty fans.

If you have the budget for an original USA Musicmaster Bass, check out the new Fender American Performer series Mustang Bass. 
    Yeah probably not really worthwhile unless I find one dirt cheap. The American performer mustang does look good as does the JMJ Mexican mustang. Latter seems to get favourable reviews. Currently waiting to hear back from someone who's selling a nice '76 white musicmaster so I might be in luck.
    A tidy original USA example would probably fulfil the brief best. A discreet pickup replacement and, maybe, a four saddle bridge should be the only modifications necessary.
    All sorted now. Thanks for all the input  :)