Nobels od 1......any thoughts ,comments?

DominicDominic Frets: 16095
Thought I would love it ........turns out to be very heavy-handed , smooth in an undefined way (you don't hear string to string) and also a bit fizzy from all but the very lowest settings ...........Am I missing something ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is it brand new? I bought one second hand and there was an issue with it and I needed to get it repaired.

Once sorted, it sounded pretty damn good

• Surprised you find it fizzy. It's great for fattening up a bridge pickup. Try it on a nocaster bridge pup with gain setup halfway perhaps. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Dominic said:
    Thought I would love it ........turns out to be very heavy-handed , smooth in an undefined way (you don't hear string to string) and also a bit fizzy from all but the very lowest settings ...........Am I missing something ?
    No, probably not.

I don't like them either, to me they sound bland and characterless - not positively awful, but I've never understood the hype about them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    Is it a green one or a silver one?

Apparently on some of the silver ones the level and gain pots are the wrong way round and need to be swapped.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Full size or mini? I was thinking of getting a new mini ODR1.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    I got one and returned it as I found it very bassy and not as pleasing as all the reports
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Keefy said:
    Full size or mini? I was thinking of getting a new mini ODR1.
    Mini......massively popular in Nashville although I can't see the fuss myself......not bad but not special 
    I think it probably works well with Tele and Strat to be fair but not Humbuckers
  • It's a Tele I usually use it with, haven't really tried it with humbuckers

• Awesome pedals if a little bass heavy at times. 
    Never tried a mini but the older ones are great. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Too much bass for me. Made heavier gain tones unusable. 
  • As mentioned, lots of bass! Great for pushing a Marshall further into overdrive I found as the bass never got out of hand and the Marshalls distinctive EQ was allowed to peak through. Never got the ‘nashville’ tele users’ love for it with clean amps though - it’s not a tube screamer.  

The PaulC Timmy can tread similar ground and sound better doing it as well as dozens of other sounds. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    my feelings exactly

• They sound great with Tele or Strat bridge single coils.  Obviously tele’s are popular in Nashville hence the reason for their popularity also.

The mini is supposed to sound a bit different as well.  I really like my green reissue, a different flavour to a timmy, sounds fatter with more gain, lass versatile but magic for tele bridge lead playing.