Multiples of the same pedal on your board

What's Hot
JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
I like to have a few dirt pedals on my board - low gain, medium gain and higher gain. I'm sorted for low (Boss BD2W), medium (Boss JB2) but have been having difficulty finding a higher gain pedal that i'm happy with. Until last night that is when I found that my JB2 also does a higher gain sound I really like. So now i'm thinking I should have 2 on my board to cover the sounds I want. I've done this before, I used to run 2 Turbo Rats for different gain levels. Just wondering if there is something wrong with me, maybe i'm a bit boring in liking different versions of the same sound. Does anyone else run multiple versions of the same pedal on their board?
My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I used to have 2 Boss OD 2s. One for the slight break-up thing, the other on turbo mode, Now the turbo mode has been replaced by the Fat Sandwich for a much more aggressive distortion,
  • I've got two Line 6 M5s, and I've seen plenty of boards with multiple Eventide H9s, but that's a different thing.

I don't think there's anything wrong with multiples of the same dirt pedal. If it sounds good, it's fine.

Consider the alternative- you try dozens of different high gain drive pedals over the course of weeks, months or years at the cost of however much money to get back to where you are already.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• I have a Friedman Dirty Shirley pedal and a BE-OD Deluxe (which I bought because i was so impressed with the Shirley). These and a Wampler Pantheon (between them) have replaced my JB2 and then some, but arguably I have too much Friedman now, if such a thing can be true. Count in the Xotic SL Drive that still lurks on my board and there is probably way too much 'repetition' of gain types, even if it's not directly addressing the OP question of identical pedals. I guess if you tweak them for different flavours it's not so hard to justify, assuming space isnt an issue. I only have to justify these things to my wife, happily. 
  • Plus i have just become aware of the Revv G4. I must draw the line somewhere, but YT vids look mighty interesting for that one, too. Damn GAS.

• Consider the alternative- you try dozens of different high gain drive pedals over the course of weeks, months or years at the cost of however much money to get back to where you are already.
    I have done this many times in the past, I think i'll stick with what I know I like!
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I currently have two Hudson Sidecars one for low gain one for more gain, works for me!...A/B foot switch toggles the two....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Our guitarist uses a Fredric King of Klones, which is essentially just 2 Klones in series. He even has them set identically and just boosts one into the other.
  • I haven't two of the same on mine, but wouldn't say no to having so. 
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    I use two Fender Marine Layer reverbs on mine - for huge ambient stuff. You can also use the dry kill switch so one or both can be fully wet. I also run a delay between them set to long tape delay to stretch the ambient pads. It also means I can use a shimmer reverb on one then extend that using the modulated reverb on the second. I'd also consider having two of the same delay on my board, e.g. a DD7 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Two Tubescreamers is pretty common.
    Or two delays set to different settings, although multi-delay pedals (Timeline, Timefactor) tended to sweep a lot of those guys up.

• Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    24v Hudson Broadcast for ‘always on’ sound, and the 9v Broadcast for Fuzz
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    edited February 2019

octatonic said:

Or two delays set to different settings, although multi-delay pedals (Timeline, Timefactor) tended to sweep a lot of those guys up.

Yes, in the loop I’ve got a couple of delays (short and long) and a couple of boosts (loud and silent). 

http://i.imgur.com/mGHksmP.jpg
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • So i've now got a Boss BD2W and 2 x Boss JB2s on my board and i'm happy! Thanks to everyone for their input.
  • Bit late now, but just thinking- couldn't you use the footswitchable functions on the JB-2 to duplicate the BD-2 sound on one of them?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched 2 player interviews on Reverb, one was Joanne Shaw Taylor and can't remember the other but they were both running a pair of TS9s on their boards side by side so there must be something in it.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Here's the classic set-up for different flavours of light distortion:

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bit late now, but just thinking- couldn't you use the footswitchable functions on the JB-2 to duplicate the BD-2 sound on one of them?
    That's a good idea, and one I hadn't thought of - have a wis! As I have a BD2W and I have space on my pedal board for it i'll keep it for the time being, but it's something to keep in mind if I run out of pedalboard space!
  • Has anyone stacked 3x ep boosters?
    That's a good idea, and one I hadn't thought of - have a wis! As I have a BD2W and I have space on my pedal board for it i'll keep it for the time being, but it's something to keep in mind if I run out of pedalboard space!

Just now my brain works- "why have you got two things when you could have one thing that does two jobs?"

I'm sure there are reasons why you might need all three, but it would be dependent on how you were using them.

• My favoured setting on the JB2 is AC into BD so having the 2 pedals provides greater versatility. With 1 pedal you'd have to use the same BD settings with the AC and without. Coincidentally I do use the same BD settings at the moment, but I might not always want to.