PSA: Guitar Guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 3987
    roberty said:
    Won't do a new thread but will post some comments here -

Setup was good out the box after truss rod adjustment.  It needed to be tightened _a lot_ (nearly a whole turn)

No finish flaws or scraggy edges, QC is spot on :+1: (stick that in your PRS!). Neck a bit sticky to start with but smoothing out after a few hours play

Acoustically it sustains like a champ and is just incredibly harmonically rich, an abundance of musical overtones

Electrically, the MHS pickups are just right for this guitar IMO, the right balance of woodiness and bite.  The tone controls are very usable, don't usually bother them but it is very rewarding here

The neck is very round and slimmer feeling than the measurements would suggest (.85"/.95").  Was a bit of a shock at first but once the truss rod was sorted out I quickly got used to it

No regrets here
    Sounds superb. Proper congrats. So much for Gibsons all having issues. 

There. I said it  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 5202
    roberty said:

Setup was good out the box after truss rod adjustment.  It needed to be tightened _a lot_ (nearly a whole turn)

No finish flaws or scraggy edges, QC is spot on :+1: (stick that in your PRS!). Neck a bit sticky to start with but smoothing out after a few hours play

I've just had a new ES335 61 reissue on the bench on behalf of a customer  - Customer purchased it mail order from GG last week and brought it into me for a check-up, opinion etc - One of the deals down to £2400-ish

As an overview the guitar was fine regarding QC etc  - However big bow in the neck and I bet I've had to turn it at least 1/2 a turn, maybe more, to get the right amount of relief - Normally I would not mention this but this is the 2nd or 3rd similar comment on a 335 on this thread - Not an issue that it needed a tweak, more a case of a larger tweak than I'd have expected on such a new guitar

Bit of the usual Gibson issue on the truss rod in that the truss rod tool barely fits around the nut - Either not enough wood cut out or to much lacquer - So a bit of a fight to get the truss rod tool on, then off

Frets are fine - Rosewood a touch light

Just about finished my work on it and it plays so much better now then it did when I first played it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 531
    Yes I had to turn mine about half a turn too. I also thought that was quite a lot!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 1027
    Interesting - the guitar was also downtuned when it arrived maybe this is a shipping precaution?

I did just over half a turn and then after it settled it needed more so went again another quarter.  Massive improvement in playability, same as in your case @guitars4you .  Was a big relief (geddit?!)
  • I got my 345 from GG about 2 and a half years ago.
    I've never had to touch the trussrod.
    I just wanted to share to add a bit of balance to the thread
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 417

Bit of the usual Gibson issue on the truss rod in that the truss rod tool barely fits around the nut - Either not enough wood cut out or to much lacquer - So a bit of a fight to get the truss rod tool on, then off

That was exactly the case with my ’58 reissue.  I thought I was using the wrong size truss rod tool initially (it didn’t come with one).  It was a total ball-ache, practically had to hammer it on there.

The ’63 reissue I bought more recently hasn’t needed tweaking but did come with a tool.  

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 1056
    Truss rods are there to be adjusted.
    Chris.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    they are but I can't recall any new guitar in the last year that I've sold that has required so much adjustment out of the box - It was not a slight tweak it was a major tweak - Surprised it left both Gibson and GG like that - Appreciate the finer detail of any set-up is a matter of taste and playing style, but this is just so wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Fishboy7 said:

That was exactly the case with my ’58 reissue.  I thought I was using the wrong size truss rod tool initially (it didn’t come with one).  It was a total ball-ache, practically had to hammer it on there.

Find that many times on a Gibson and yes I've had to 'tap' it gently into place on many occasions
    they are but I can't recall any new guitar in the last year that I've sold that has required so much adjustment out of the box - It was not a slight tweak it was a major tweak - Surprised it left both Gibson and GG like that - Appreciate the finer detail of any set-up is a matter of taste and playing style, but this is just so wrong
    Odd that it's just this Memphis batch? Maybe it was particularly hot in Memphis that month
  • I played two of these in GG today the black one and cherry both had alot / too much neck relief especially the black the action was really high and the neck was bowed must of been when they were shipped i guess
    edited February 12
    I played two of these in GG today the black one and cherry both had alot / too much neck relief especially the black the action was really high and the neck was bowed must of been when they were shipped i guess
    It's mad that they can hang them on the wall like this. I wonder how long they've been in stock. It could have happened over time 

Edit: come to think of it, maybe this is why they haven't been sold?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 99
    The 63 reissue 335 I bought last year needed quite a tweak on the truss rod too.

Easy enough to do, but, I did note the setup out the box was awful. 
    I played two of these in GG today the black one and cherry both had alot / too much neck relief especially the black the action was really high and the neck was bowed must of been when they were shipped i guess
    I also found the action high even after setting the relief.
    I'm assuming these are the Memphis ones that we were told were incoming back in the R8 rush. If so they've come from the European warehouse and could have been there a while.

Are these 18 or 17 serials?
    18 serials
    hyperben said:
    18 serials
    Probably too recent for those types of issues then I guess?

Perhaps one area of the warehouse wasn't properly climate controlled?
    terada said:
    hyperben said:
    18 serials
    Probably too recent for those types of issues then I guess?

They are all slim necks. I assume these are more prone to movement than thicker necks
    edited February 13
    Thomann have a '58 in natural for a smidge over the guitarguitar asking price (blame the exchange rate):

https://m.thomann.de/gb/gibson_1958_es_335_58_natural_2.htm

This could be a different model year though

https://guitar.com/review/gibson-memphis-1958-es-335-vos-review/
    hyperben said:

They are all slim necks. I assume these are more prone to movement than thicker necks
    compared to R8/9's etc then yes they are slimmer - But sold plenty of SG's with a 60's slimmer profile and no issue - The 61 ES335's aren't skinny as such, just slimmer than a meaty 50's neck - I think it is just a set-up issue either with Gibson and/or GG

The one on my bench for a customer has settled down now - I did the work on it then left it for 48 hours to allow the severe adjustment to settle in and now all okay
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 3031
    if the truss is the only gripe and once corrected is fine then WTF! we are getting spectacularly nit picky perhaps
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • matonematone Frets: 165
    edited February 13
    Chris_J said:
    The 63 reissue 335 I bought last year needed quite a tweak on the truss rod too.

I would label all of these posts as `vendor ` not manufacturer problems personally.
    Tweaking truss rods is hardly a major setup issue anyway....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    mgaw said:
    if the truss is the only gripe and once corrected is fine then WTF! we are getting spectacularly nit picky perhaps
    Don't think anyone's having a moan, it's just an observation that this particular batch of guitars needs a bigger truss adjustment than usual out of the box, probably double. It's unusual. There must be a reason for it
    mgaw said:
    it isn't an issue to those who know what to do to correct it

But what about those who receive such a guitar, with a bowed neck and a poor action and think well this is not what I expected and return it

The customer who brought his 335 into me just thought it did not play well and asked me to have a look at it and see what I could do to improve it - Normally I would not have passed comment, but I wasn't the first to talk about a severe amount of adjustment required and it appears to be more than just a coincidence - A slight tweak is fine but this was a serious amount of adjustment - So much so that I wanted to leave it on the bench for 2 days to see how it settled down

I don't mind as I can charge a fee for correcting what should not have had to be corrected
    matone said:
    Chris_J said:

I would label all of these posts as `vendor ` not manufacturer problems personally.
    Tweaking truss rods is hardly a major setup issue anyway....
    I agree a minor adjustment is a matter of taste and how you want the guitar set up - I know of very few who would wish to buy such a guitar with a severe bow on it that needs nearly a full turn and 2 days to settle down

Maybe I'm just to fussy about how a 4K guitar should be presented to a potential customer - No one is perfect I know but coincidence that a few customers have had the same issue with the same/similar guitar
    roberty said:
    mgaw said:
    Don't think anyone's having a moan, it's just an observation that this particular batch of guitars needs a bigger truss adjustment than usual out of the box, probably double. It's unusual. There must be a reason for it
    agree
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 2268
    I’ve always found that slimmer mahogany necks “move” more than the equivalent maple one so I tend to adjust them incrementally rather than in one larger adjustment, although there are as many theories on this as 335’s sold ;)
    I find it astonishing that they're hanging on the walls of shops like this.  Have they not bothered because they are so discounted?  Or are they discounted because the necks are bowed and no one's bought them?
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 3031
    who knows
    I must admit, I've now signed of on this 61 ES335 - all adjustments made - And it is a blommin' nice bit of kit - Customer should be collecting later