If I wanted a Deluxe Reverb but more... (but not louder!!!)

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
edited February 2019 in Amps
As in "more" than a standard DRRI, what are my options? 

As a bare minimum I'd like the bright cap on a switch. Not bothered about 2 channels, but would like to keep reverb and preferably also trem.  Ideally I'd like something with power scaling or master volume would be good as I'm home-use in an apartment. And a mids knob would be nice to add flexibility. 

Does anyone make something with all that? The Vintage Sound 22SC seems to be close, but not spot on, and it's a tiny company which might lead to difficult re-sale if that ever happened.

Am I nuts to think of making myself a hot-rodded DR myself after building literally one other amp just a couple of weeks ago..? 
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Fender very recently introduced a '64 handwired that may offer 'more'??

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

It might sound a little different, and might be a fraction more reliable, but I'm not interested in paying 2.5x the price for literally the same feature set! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3155
    tFB Trader
    My PR18 1x12" could have a push/pull vol pot for a bright cap, mid control and master volume (although somewhat redundant in an amp where all of the gain is in the OP section). You'd get the better tremolo and at 16.5" x 20" x 9.5" is still v.portable.

My 6w version is very popular with home players, big deep cleans at sensible volumes. Lee Anderton has one under his desk in his office
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Vibrolux reverb?
  • RiftAmps said:
    My PR18 1x12" could have a push/pull vol pot for a bright cap, mid control and master volume (although somewhat redundant in an amp where all of the gain is in the OP section). You'd get the better tremolo and at 16.5" x 20" x 9.5" is still v.portable.

My 6w version is very popular with home players, big deep cleans at sensible volumes. Lee Anderton has one under his desk in his office
    Ta, that is tempting. To be honest I'd discounted those as I don't usually get on with single-power-valve amps, and every Deluxe Reverb I've ever tried has been better to my ears than every Princeton. But honestly I don't know if that's the size of the cabinet, or a speaker difference, or transformers or the circuit itself that makes the difference. 

If I was in the UK I'd get myself to somewhere I could try them all! :( 
  • Carr Slant 6v is def your man, or a Louis Electric Deltone
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:

Ta, that is tempting. To be honest I'd discounted those as I don't usually get on with single-power-valve amps, and every Deluxe Reverb I've ever tried has been better to my ears than every Princeton. But honestly I don't know if that's the size of the cabinet, or a speaker difference, or transformers or the circuit itself that makes the difference. 

The 6w isn't single-ended, it's 2x6V6 in PP.
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• RiftAmps said:
    RiftAmps said:

The 6w isn't single-ended, it's 2x6V6 in PP.
    Iiiiiiiiiiinteresting.... 

This could get expensive..!
    I've had three of them, can't get that clean sound out of my head, best ever...
    Slant6V that is...
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2429
    Carr Slant 6v is def your man, or a Louis Electric Deltone
    I was just about to post Deltone and you beat me to it. Ticks a few of the OP's boxes -  at a price.
    RiftAmps said:

Could the Rift Deluxe 22 not be supplied with the pull bright switch and a mid control? Agree about the limited benefit of a master volume in a BF Deluxe. Mine has Power Scaling which works OK for me (but not down to bedroom volumes IMO).
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    edited February 2019
    Get a Deltone - mine sounds wonderful..

Mind you my next F style amp with be a Rift for sure.. gotta support the Brits and let’s face it they’re pretty special!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Jimbro66 said:
    Could the Rift Deluxe 22 not be supplied with the pull bright switch and a mid control? Agree about the limited benefit of a master volume in a BF Deluxe. Mine has Power Scaling which works OK for me (but not down to bedroom volumes IMO).
    Absolutely, it’s a popular option. I offer different voicings on each channel also, any combination of Blackface, Brownface, and Tweed
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    CARR Rambler or Slant v .......to me the Rambler is a bit sweeter but these are top of the class
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    RiftAmps said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Absolutely, it’s a popular option. I offer different voicings on each channel also, any combination of Blackface, Brownface, and Tweed
    A Deluxe 22 with those mods and a brown face pre-amp has a lot of appeal. Sadly my heart belongs to another........... When I saw the Tweed Vee it was love at first sight  <3 .
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Carr Slant 6v is def your man, or a Louis Electric Deltone
    Slant6V that is...

Totally agree with this. I spent hours once A/B-ing my Slant’s clean channel with my vintage DR. Almost identical. If anything the Slant was sweeter. And of course it has a drive channel. Genuinely cannot recall why I sold it. Fantastic thing

• Rambler is a great shout - too drawer amp but got a diff thing going on from a DR style amp. Very HiFi, open and fkin loud! I think they’re incredible. Both have mid control so good there but neither have masters or attenuation so not so great on the home use front unless you’ve got forgiving surroundings!

I originally acquired a Rambler and a Deltone to pick the best and move the other on.. never happened as they’re both amazing and diff enough to be keepers..o

Si
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There is a dirt cheap Slant head in the classifieds