Blackstar HT Dual hassle and resolution

chromatunachromatuna Frets: 372
edited February 2019 in FX
I have had one of these for quite a few years and found it an excellent recording tool what with the emulated out, tone and ISF controls. In common with many peoples HTs I think the pots, particulary the dual gang ones became noisy to the point of unusability so it sat in the cupboard, couldn't use it or sell it in that condition and they don't go for much anyway. 

So today I steeled myself and having watched a couple of videos took it apart, applied contact cleaner and managed to get it back together in working condition. Result! No more scratchiness. Wish I had done that years ago now. It's really not that difficult.

While I was in there I put in a spare EH 5751 and that's made the gain much more usable and I think the tone has improved too. 

Why is it that many pots last almost indefinitely it seems but others fail so quickly?
This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510

Why is it that many pots last almost indefinitely it seems but others fail so quickly?
    Quality.

Although it can also be down to how much use they get, and whether dust can get into the enclosure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14520
    ICBM said:
    whether dust can get into the enclosure.
    The Blackstar HT-5 mini stack that changed hands several times between me and a (frequently skint) local guitarist seemed to ail after he habitually stood his ash tray on top of it. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom