JamMan Solo XT problem

What's Hot
steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
edited April 2014 in FX
Does anyone have experience of using the Digitech JamMan Solo XT?

I have just bought one and, setting it up to use in stereo out of two amps (stereo in / stereo out on the JamMan) it appears to be summing my stereo guitar signal to mono. Both left and right outputs are working but my lovely stereo delays are reduced to dull twin mono. This is even when the JamMan unit is in off/bypass mode.

The manual categorically states

"The left and right inputs are processed separately through the looper engine and then fed to the left and right outputs to keep true stereo separation between channels"

and again

"Each channel maintains analog dry path"

under specifications.

Even my old Line6 DL4 (which sums the signal to mono on the loop) maintains the stereo through signal.

Do I have a faulty unit or is there some other explanation? If I unplug the JamMan from the signal path my stereo delays return in all their glory. I just have the JamMan being fed from the stereo outs from my main board (the JamMan isn't on the board) and into the fx return of one amp and a second satellite amp.

I am at a loss to explain this .... help!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    [UPDATE]

Well, problem fixed, if not exactly 'solved' - this was a bit bizarre!

It occurred to me that I should check with different cables and, when I replaced the right channel patch cable between my fx board and the JamMan input, my stereo image returned! Bingo! I would have expected to get nothing at all on the right channel but obviously something is going on in the JamMan inputs (it has Left/Mono and Right).
    This is where it gets a bit bizarre.
    When I checked the offending cable with a multimeter it was reading ok. So I placed it back in between the board and JamMan and my stereo disappeared again. But....... The cable has a right-angled Neutrik plug at one end and a generic straight plug at the other - when I reversed the cable so that the Neutrik end was plugged into the JamMan my stereo delays returned! Flip it round so that the straight end goes into the JamMan - mono delays. Weird.
    My guess is that the straight plug (a generic type from Maplins) must be slightly smaller diameter and doesn't connect properly with the JamMan's sockets leading to the signal being summed from the left input to both outputs.

So I'm happy to have sussed it and it just goes to show, that old gigging fault-finding adage holds true - it's probably a cable so check all cables first.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom