Single Coil Simulation using a Capacitor

What's Hot
The single coil simulation on the Charvel Govan sounds lovely...

It is apparently achieved by a .1uf capacitor along the humbucker's shunted series connection’s path to ground.  No resistor.

What is the shunted series connection please? Is that the North and South Finish wires that you solder together to make the humbucker in series?

How would I do this please? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    Yes. The shunted series connection is where the two coils are connected to each other. On a four-conductor-cable pickup, this will be the two wires (eg red and white on a Duncan pickup, or black and white on a DiMarzio) which are joined together and insulated. Take off the insulation and connect that joint to one leg of the cap, then the other leg of the cap to ground.

What it does is it removes all the high frequencies from one coil, but leaves the very deep lows so you will still get the 50Hz hum cancellation. If I remember rightly this was originally a Bill Lawrence idea.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    There’s a longer explanation and a diagram here https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/26783-mod-garage-the-sound-of-silence
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
    Thanks John for clarifying.  And thanks Roland - that article was very clear and very useful...

Kindest regards
    Jay
    Surely that diagram is wrong...quite apart from the incorrect colour codes employed...?

shouldn’t the cap/resistor be connected one end to the pot casing and the other end to the lower terminal shown in the diagram? 

So with the switch up, the series connection is isolated; when down the series connection is shunted to earth, but via the cap/resistor...?

please correct me if I’m wrong...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    Looks correct to me. A S1 isn’t the same as a standard push-pull, it’s a 4PDT, and they’re using two of the spare terminals to hold the resistor.

Which colour codes are wrong? I’m not familiar with those pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

He says they’re Seymour Duncans.  Wouldn’t the wires involved be White and Red...?
    So for a DiMarzio Humbucker and a push-pull pot would it look something like this John?

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/JHsEMcn.jpg)