Deciding between ‘classic’ fendery sounding speakers for deluxe reverb

noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
edited February 2019 in Amps
I think the Cannabis Rex I’ve got in there is taking a bit too much presence off especially at low volumes. It’s also a bit over-efficient for me. 

I’ve narrowed the choices down to the Eminence GA-SC64 and the Jensen Neo Tornado. They seem to have similar tone (sorry, can’t think of a better word), one’s 2-3 pounds lighter which is nice but not the main factor. I certainly don’t want anything heavier than the CRex (9lbs approx).

I’ve already had a Jensen C12N in a Blues Junior and although it had good sparkle it was massively beamy on the treble (the cab may well have emphasised that).

I’ve previously also had a C12K and found it a bit muddy sounding.

I’ve heard that the Celestion Neo Creamback is also very well liked but I want to keep the sound ‘fendery’. 

Anyone tried both the Eminence and the Jensen? Alternatively I might put a WTB out for either and see which one the fickle finger of fudge delivers...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    I haven't tried the GA speakers (would like to!) but I went from a CRex to a Jensen neo 100 in my Traynor and, while it's not as loud as with the CR, it sounds loads nicer ("more fendery" is how I'd describe it)and is a bit lighter as well.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited February 2019
    bbill335 said:
    I haven't tried the GA speakers (would like to!) but I went from a CRex to a Jensen neo 100 in my Traynor and, while it's not as loud as with the CR, it sounds loads nicer ("more fendery" is how I'd describe it)and is a bit lighter as well.
    Cheers bbill335, that’s useful to know. Is it a Tornado you’ve got in there?

I’ve not come aross a Traynor in a shop so far, but definitely want to try one.
    bbill335 said:

yeah, it's the Tornado classic 100. The stealth version with the cover looks nice but they weren't in stock. same thing tho!
  • bbill335 said:
    bbill335 said:

yeah, it's the Tornado classic 100. The stealth version with the cover looks nice but they weren't in stock. same thing tho!
    So definitely brighter then! How is it at home volumes? I find the CRex needs a bit of oomph the get the treble going (Fletcher-Munson shenanigans notwithstanding...)
    The traynor ygm3 has quite a bass-heavy eq and the jensen kind of helps offset that, i've found. sounds fine at home, maybe a bit bass-light, but used in anger it just sounds great. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    I haven't tried those Eminences either, but the Jensen Tornado Classic is now my favourite speaker of any type in a Fender-style amp - they just sound 'right' - perfectly balanced, clear and bright but not tinny or harsh like some of the other Jensens can, and seems to work equally well with clean or dirty sounds either from the amp or pedals. It also has a high enough power rating that you don't need to worry even in a Twin or an 80s Concert.

The fact that it weighs about as much as the box it arrives in is a huge bonus for amps like the Concert too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited February 2019
    ICBM said:
    I haven't tried those Eminences either, but the Jensen Tornado Classic is now my favourite speaker of any type in a Fender-style amp - they just sound 'right' - perfectly balanced, clear and bright but not tinny or harsh like some of the other Jensens can, and seems to work equally well with clean or dirty sounds either from the amp or pedals. It also has a high enough power rating that you don't need to worry even in a Twin or an 80s Concert.

The fact that it weighs about as much as the box it arrives in is a huge bonus for amps like the Concert too.
    And this is the 100 you’re talking about? (sorry, that sounds a bit sarky to read it back - not meant that way!)
    noisepolluter said:

And this is the 100 you’re talking about?
    Yes, the original 100. Not the Stealth model, that just adds weight for no good reason!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    noisepolluter said:

And this is the 100 you’re talking about?
    Yes, the original 100. Not the Stealth model, that just adds weight for no good reason!
    Apologies for butting in but this may be a factor for @noisepolluter too.
    @ICBM ;
    Are the Jensen  neo’s fixing dimensions the same as a Celestion/eminence?Have been considering one of these to go in my Columbia reverb. I replaced the original Jupiter speaker with a greenback which lined up perfectly with the columbia’s mountings.

The Swamp City Shakers
    They should all be the same. In practice they aren’t quite, but it’s very rare for it to be a problem - the mounting hole positions overlap even though the centre spacing is slightly different, so you’d need to have an amp with the holes at the extreme outer end of the tolerance range for one of the other speaker brands not to fit.

If there is a mismatch that’s enough for it not to fit you should be able to fix it by enlarging the holes in the speaker frame slightly with a round file.

The ones I’ve most often had trouble with are Fanes, if it matters.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Oxfords then...!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    They should all be the same. In practice they aren’t quite, but it’s very rare for it to be a problem - the mounting hole positions overlap even though the centre spacing is slightly different, so you’d need to have an amp with the holes at the extreme outer end of the tolerance range for one of the other speaker brands not to fit.

If there is a mismatch that’s enough for it not to fit you should be able to fix it by enlarging the holes in the speaker frame slightly with a round file.

The ones I’ve most often had trouble with are Fanes, if it matters.

Cheers for that. 

The Swamp City Shakers
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    I know this wasn't one on your original shortlist, but a Weber 12F150 is great in a Fender.

I've not tried their 12" speakers, but I've got a WGS 10" that's very good in my Princeton.  They might be worth a look as well.
  • crunchman said:
    I know this wasn't one on your original shortlist, but a Weber 12F150 is great in a Fender.

I've not tried their 12" speakers, but I've got a WGS 10" that's very good in my Princeton.  They might be worth a look as well.
    I’ve read about the Webers and would really like to hear one, but they seem to be direct order only and I don’t fancy US shipping costs on top. WGS could also be in with a shout. 
    crunchman said:

I’ve read about the Webers and would really like to hear one, but they seem to be direct order only and I don’t fancy US shipping costs on top. WGS could also be in with a shout. 
    Webers do pop up second hand occasionally.  It's worth keeping an eye on the Classifieds here, and on Feebay.

You can get WGS in the UK here:

edited February 2019
    crunchman said:
    crunchman said:

Webers do pop up second hand occasionally.  It's worth keeping an eye on the Classifieds here, and on Feebay.

The G12C gets good reviews I see. I’m trying to work out if it’s a straight copy of a Jensen C12N (which I’m less keen on), or if it’s less ‘beamy’. 

Edit: looks like the G12C/S has some tweaks to smooth out the top end e.g. felt dust cap, different cone, which might put it in similar territory to the GA-SC64.
    crunchman said:
    crunchman said:

The G12C gets good reviews I see. I’m trying to work out if it’s a straight copy of a Jensen C12N (which I’m less keen on), or if it’s less ‘beamy’. 

Edit: looks like the G12C/S has some tweaks to smooth out the top end e.g. felt dust cap, different cone, which might put it in similar territory to the GA-SC64.

There are quite a lot of speaker shootout videos on Youtube.  You might be able to find one that pits some of these speakers against a C12N.  You have to be careful with Youtube audio, but I've seen speaker shootouts with Celestions that I have owned (like the Vintage 30, Greenback, G12H30, Blue, Gold) and the differences I heard in the flesh are apparent in the videos.