run out of GAS

What's Hot
mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
edited February 2019 in Off Topic
its dawned on me today after a few days of scrambling around the internet of guitar things that I am happy with my lot...…...WTF am I meant to do now?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    mgaw said:
    its dawned on me today after a few days of scrambling around the internet of guitar things that I am happy with my lot...…...WTF am I meant to do now?
    Play them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    mgaw said:
    Play them.
    @Bridgehouse ; are you mad!?  I play them for hours every day
    mgaw said:
    mgaw said:
    Play them.
    @Bridgehouse ; are you mad!?  I play them for hours every day
    Don’t play them then.. then you’ll think it’s your gear that’s stopping you from playing and you’ll GAS for new gear..
    good plan!
    I cant even think of a pedal I am even remotely interested in, or an electric, or an acoustic, maybe its time for an archtop octave mandolin
    mgaw said:
    I cant even think of a pedal I am even remotely interested in, or an electric, or an acoustic, maybe its time for an archtop octave mandolin
    Get a bass.

It will improve your musicianship, give you a new view on loads of material, help home recordings, and you’ll enter a whole new world of GAS
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    (I have an octave mandolin and I’d still say get a bass..)
    was considering a bass but not sure I am charismatic enough :)
    mgaw said:
    was considering a bass but not sure I am charismatic enough :)
    Can you do a good “bored, pissed off and generally disinterested” face?

If so, you have all the charisma needed..
    my default setting @bridgehouse been stuck with it since I was 14, along with a love of self pleasuring
    mgaw said:
    my default setting @bridgehouse been stuck with it since I was 14, along with a love of self pleasuring
    You are perfect bass player material
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    cheers that's made my day
    mgaw said:
    cheers that's made my day
    I suggest a good few hours trawling the web for basses so you can really feel miserable ;)
    @bridgehouse ; just to check what I need/want to enter the new and exciting realm of the Bass

appropriately charismatic     check
    wanker                                  check

surely there is a lot more to it than that,  what Bass and what amp?

I dont think I am going to relish an enormously long fingerboard can one procure a smallish bass tht has solid bass credentials and deep tonez

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m in the same boat. Totally happy with my rig. I feel empty....
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    mgaw said:
    @bridgehouse ; just to check what I need/want to enter the new and exciting realm of the Bass

appropriately charismatic     check
    wanker                                  check

surely there is a lot more to it than that,  what Bass and what amp?

I dont think I am going to relish an enormously long fingerboard can one procure a smallish bass tht has solid bass credentials and deep tonez

Short or short medium scale (30” or 32”) will do the job and sound great.

Options start at around £250 and go on from there... first decision is style choice - you need to determine if you might be a P or a J man, or maybe something a bit more wacky... those new Ibanez medium scales at £250 look to be pretty hot for the dosh.

Up from that, the classic choice would be a MiM 50’s classic Precision - they really are good. Like real good. 

Above that you are in to US fender territory, or Warwick, or Sandberg, or Lakland, or something of that ilk.

For an idea of expensive stuff go to Bass Direct’s website and prepare to be totally confused. 

As for amps, start with a bass and we can came back to that one ;) Bass sounds good DI into a desk anyway..
    @Caffeine_Vampire   its an odd sensation for sure...…..picked up me |Hahn 228 telecaster and realised I have absolutely no desire to get another electric.....same with pedals...same with amp...even accessories have let me down
  • mgaw said:
    @Caffeine_Vampire   its an odd sensation for sure...…..picked up me |Hahn 228 telecaster and realised I have absolutely no desire to get another electric.....same with pedals...same with amp...even accessories have let me down
    Been a few months for me. I’m getting used to it. Just installed a Free-Way 10 way switch on my favourite Strat and I’m planning on giving it a stainless refret but I keep looking at gear and wishing I felt the need. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    @Bridgehouse ; I feel like I am in the hands of a seasoned "converter"
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4935
    I feel like my GAS has abated.

I decided over the past year that I would just get what I wanted and there seems to be very little more kit that I do want now.

I have got a number of projects to do, which probably cover the rest of the year, so I won't be bored.

Coincidentally, one of my projects is a tricked-up Rickenbacker bass onto which is going a 6-way Free Way switch!