Delay and looper combined or separate pedals

What's Hot
ChristopheChristophe Frets: 62
edited February 2019 in FX
Having never owned either a looper or delay I’m very interested to hear the collective wisdom on whether to go for a combined pedal (TC Flashback or EHX Canyon) or separate pedals, TC Carbon Copy and Ditto or Boss RC1 etc. The delay will be used in front of the amp as there is no FX loop and the looper is for bedroom practice rather than gigging etc so ease of use for a noob is preferable over many bells and whistles.

Cheers Chris
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Separate I'd say. So you can quickly control both without having to mess around switching modes.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Personally, I'd go separate looper. The Boss RC3 is the only one I like because it's a small footprint, easy to use (once you get the hang) and probably most importantly you can save your recordings. 

Brilliant for sketching out ideas, playing along to or creating a mood piece to inspire something. 

Delays come and go, the looper is forever! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd say it very much depends on how / how much you're likely to use each one. If live creation of loops is a central part of your live performances then a separate, full-featured looper is going to be important. If all you want is a way to make a little loop to jam over at home then less so.

If you have the money to get both now, why not do that? You can always offload one or other later if it turns out you don't need them both. If you can't do that but you want to dip a toe in the waters, a delay with a basic looper is probably the place to start.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I have a Flashback X4 up for sale at the moment, which I have found to be a) an excellent delay, and b) a simple looper that has separate buttons for record and start/stop, which I think is easier to use. I'm also a home player, and having the two in one pedal was pretty convenient most of the time.

That said, I have to be honest and say that one of the reasons for the sale is that I'm getting separate pedals for delay & looper ... although part of that is just because I want a new delay!
  • @WiresDreamDisasters @Fuengi @english_bob @markv thanks for all the quick responses. I get the feeling separates is the way to go. Now the small task of narrowing down the choices
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Depends what you want to do .. the El Capistan and Timeline allow you to loop on loop. I do use the loop on my El Cap, but I also have a Ditto X2.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fuengi said:
    Personally, I'd go separate looper. The Boss RC3 is the only one I like because it's a small footprint, easy to use (once you get the hang) and probably most importantly you can save your recordings. 

Brilliant for sketching out ideas, playing along to or creating a mood piece to inspire something. 

Delays come and go, the looper is forever! 
    The correct answer, imho... tried and owned em all, and the RC3 always survives...

Ditto is good too