Silk and steel strings

I discovered these on a nice little Guild M120 yesterday. I’d picked up the guitar to try it out and loved how mellow and easy to play it felt, the tension seemed nice and low but I could still dig in - it almost felt like all the good elements of a classical/nylon strung, but on something I could actually play. Anyway, I had a chat with the salesman and he mentioned that it was fitted with silk and steel strings too, which vaguely registered in my mind but suddenly all the characteristics made sense.

Is anyone else a fan of these? They seem ideal for finger-picking & couch/home-strumming if you don’t like things too bright. I’m going to try some out on my Yamaha too, as it’s got a bellied top and I’ve been reluctant to string it with anything too heavy!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 10740
    They're lovely on my J35, but they don't last me long. I have a couple of sets on standby for recording sessions, they really do sound sweet. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 42
    edited February 11
    I like silk and steel strings on my 12-string electro-acoustic. With phospher bronze strings it needs a soft touch otherwise it starts to sound a little brittle - ie. too bright - but the silk and steel strings sound pleasantly full and bold.
  • Yeah I put some on mine, expensive compared to normal strings, and sounded very dead after a few weeks. They did sound nice to start with though and felt easier to play
    I may feel slightly sad, but I won't cry
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 3649
    They don't last too long sadly
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • How are they on electric acoustics with under saddle PU's?

Turns out “you’re so beautiful when you’re sleeping” is only considered a compliment if she knows who you are.

Dulcet Jones Creepy Music Blog    http://dulcetjones.blogspot.com/

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 525
    edited February 12
    They sound quite interesting, any recommendations on brands please?

Edit: Any love for John Pearse silk and steel strings? They seem to be the only brand doing the size I'm after (12-53).
  • GTCGTC Frets: 5
    Haven't tried John Pearse strings  = but La Bella Silk & Steel Mediums are very good (12-56)
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 1333
    I like them on my Martin 0-16 New Yorker, which is a 12 fret parlour guitar with a flat, classically-wide fretboard. They suit it well and sound good. 
  • I tried some on my D-28 to get away from the "bluegrass" sound that the stock medium PB strings had. They certainly feel easy to play but the lower tension introduced a buzz on one of the bass strings and I wasn't sold on the sound they make. I could have had the set-up tweaked to sort out the buzz but the sound was just a little too tinkly/chimey for my taste and seemed like a waste of a dreadnought body so I reverted back to PB strings.
  • I have then on my size 5 (Terz), they seem to really suit short scale and small body guitars.  Less attack and a bit less at both ends of the frequency spectrum so it's all more mellow.  They don't work as well on heavily built or big bodied guitars because the reduced tension doesn't vibrate the top as much.  
    Guitars - Mainly old Fenders.... waaaay too many
      Amps -   Ditto!
  • GTCGTC Frets: 5
    Many "standard" silk & steel sets have quite low gauge bass strings (e.g. .047 gauge low E) which can cause buzzes if switching from say, a typical light gauge Phosphor Bronze steel set (.053 low E) set-up.

In addition to the La Bella and John Pearse strings mentioned above, Ernie Ball Silk & Steel soft (80/20 bronze) have heavier gauge bass strings (e.g. .052 low E)