Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I've just done a very interesting comparison

What's Hot
rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2458
edited February 2019 in Off Topic
If you haven't done this, I urge you to do so. It was fascinating. I moved to Ultex picks a year or so ago and have been very happy. A buddy of mine at Dunlop gave me a handful of picks to try at Namm and I've just found them in my bag. So out they come for some fun time while the wife is off getting her nails done. 

First finding, I'm sticking with my Ultex sharp. I might up the gauge when my bag runs out but more than happy with them. Second finding, I like the thin tortex for acoustic, the Petrucci/ Andy James sig picks for jazzy stuff and the Jazz III XL for super accurate (if my fingers let me) fast picking stuff. But the 60mm Tortex also works for quick picking stuff and does better pick slides. 

I understand how boring I am and I've grown to live with it but thought I'd share in case anyone else is just as boring as me. 

https://i.imgur.com/Wap6BF4.jpg

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    .88 Tortex Jazz III is my pick of choice. Great for rock riffs, downpicked metal, fast leads, and works just fine for strumming chords too.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7794

I bought a selection years ago and settled on Jim Dunlop Nylon .60mm - but because I hold them lightly I went through all sorts of modifications to try and stop from dropping them.

Having found a method that works (punching holes through the grippy bit with an awl) I carried on mucking about and found that I enjoyed using them even more if I sharpened them to a point, but then they became too floppy, so now I have a .73mm nylon standard with a curve bent into it, nine holes punched through from finger side to thumb side and four the other way, cut to a point. :)

The only problem now is that my experiments have left me with only one, so I need to get a few more in case I lose it!
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    You don't need to punch holes - the best way is to heat a skewer in a flame (gas cooker hob ) and just burn them through
    - the melting lets you mould a few burrs that make them super -grippy
  • .73mm Tortex Jazz III is what I use these days.

Bye!

• I use my finger, or whichever random pick I can find which may include one I cut freehand from a Boots loyalty card.
    I suspect you're all better than me at guitar.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5003
    I use 2mm tortex  and score them for extra grip. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Planet Waves Black Ice here.
    Slightly larger than the Dunlop and better grip.
    1.5mm.

They have more ‘thud’.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I used to like the Dunlop Gels XH but I found a year ago they had like a mould line, or a seam right on the edge which sounded horrible. I had never noticed it before, but then did with 2 seperate packs. 

Now I use D'addario abalone ones. Love em. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    Currently using 0.73 Yellow ones with a nice picture of a tortoise on... I like thin and flappy pics..... makes a Strat come alive :)
  • I did this years ago and, to the detriment of my wallet, I discovered that Timber Tones picks are the ones for me. I now have boxes of worn-out fancy wooden picks which represent hundreds and hundreds of pounds of gigs and rehearsals...

Take it from me, guys. Experimenting with picks is a really bad idea ;)
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8723

I understand how boring I am and I've grown to live with it but thought I'd share in case anyone else is just as boring as me. 
    Not at all. It’s attention to details like these which distinguish the better players. Every couple of years I experiment with different picks. The best I ever found for sound we’re real tortoiseshell. We’ve not been able to buy these since the 70s. I’ve got a few left for special occasions. Nowadays I use a standard plastic pick, which I buy in bulk, and drill three 1/8” holes across the top for better grip.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I went through a phase of ordering variety packs of picks online and now I have a couple of ashtrays full of them. I use 1mm Tortex for everything now, including bass and acoustic. Maybe I could go faster with a pointy one, but I'm getting pretty quick. My tutor uses the same ones and he does slayer to tempo etc

• You should try one of these. I heard they might have a very distinctive sound:

• I've been using V-Picks for a few years. They're louder, fuller and brighter than regular picks, as long as you can deal with the fact that they're three point something millimetres thick.

I don't seem to be able to play as fast with them, but that's more likely to be to do with my lack of practice in recent years.

Oh, and they're transparent, so they're a bugger to find when you strum hard, misjudge your grip and your completely inflexible pick flies out of your hand.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Does anyone clip them when they get worn down or do you all throw them away?
  • @rossyamaha ; I need to see a pic of you shredding with a 60mm pick! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    hywelg said:
    Does anyone clip them when they get worn down or do you all throw them away?
    I buy Tortex in packs of 12 and throw them away when worn.  I feel a bit sad when I throw them away
  • Hetfield black fangs which are ultex, I have a mix of 1.1 and .94 I think (sorry the writing has worn off the 4 i have in my p[ocket right now).

My whole band use black fangs
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ

• My whole band use black fangs
    That's one unconventional drummer.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
    I'm quite boring and mostly use Green Dunlops now. I do have a collection of alternatives but I come back to these time after time.