Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bill is selling the Klon Centaur again and not the KTR

What's Hot

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Yeah. The most frustrating thing about the Centaur is it sounds so good. Ultimately it’s not for me, and there are sufficient clones/variants out there which I can afford to buy something that will give me that flavour should I ever decide I need it. 
    How he chooses to run his biz is up to him, he’s doing alright. Could get a mighty fine amp and/or guitar for 2k tho.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Absolute nonsense!  Anyone who pays $2000 that isnt minted wants there heads looking at
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    timhulio said:
    Is the goop really necessary at this point?
    The tone isn't the same without the goop.
    I’d also want to make sure it was made on an old card table.  There’s mojo in those old card tables.  
  • Pure insanity.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    dindude said:
    Bill is an enigma to me, along with Paul of Tim/Timmy fame.

Design a pedal that is popular and moves things on a bit - but never move on yourself - why not make a whole series out of it, keep production in line with demand, design some new stuff. 

These boys must be scraping a living - just feels like unfulfilled potential.
    They are not businessmen.  They are like a hobbyist who stumbled on a design that went much bigger than they ever envisaged but there was never a plan to make it long term.  They are not Thorpy or Joel Korte where they hire people or collaborate to make other kinds of pedals.
    This. Years ago when I bought my original Klon you had to call Bill on the phone - he’d keep you chatting for ages while he soldered away. I got the impression he was a very happy bunny doing what he did - why change that. 

Interestingly I've been reading a lot of indignation elsewhere over this - that he's making "so much money" when you can buy a clone cheaply. I think inoreferred itnwheh the indignation was reserved for the cloners 
    Red ones are better. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    If he is now selling pedals for £2k will he be removing that ‘the hype that offends’ text from his KTRs?
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3988
    soma1975 said:
    If he is now selling pedals for £2k will he be removing that ‘the hype that offends’ text from his KTRs?
    It was an auction.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3155
    tFB Trader
    prlgmnr said:
    soma1975 said:
    It was an auction.
    Yup, a 7-day auction with a $100 start price.

It could have easily sold for just $100. The market dictated the final price, not the seller.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2019
    He completely knows they will all go for over $1000 and probably twice that. It was impossible it could sell for $100.

I love the idea of people thinking he was sat there naively going 'well maybe these will go for $100 a piece'. 

More power to him but despite the business model of choice, he clearly knows what the going rate for a Klon is.

Of course, if they are back in production what does that do to the market? 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    If you read the text on the listing, then he's selling these himself, separately from the ones he was building for his friend.

soma1975 said:
    He completely knows they will all go for over $1000 and probably twice that. It was impossible it could sell for $100.

I love the idea of people thinking he was sat there naively going 'well maybe these will go for $100 a piece'. 

More power to him but despite the business model of choice, he clearly knows what the going rate for a Klon is.

Of course, if they are back in production what does that do to the market? 
    Probably doesn't change the market at all.  That Ebay account was set up in December, and so far has one sale.

Even if you add in the ones he makes for his friend to sell, I guess it will be one a month or thereabouts.   With around 8,000 of the original units made, I don't think it will increase the numbers enough to massively affect prices.  Even if it ends up being one a week, it would take about 15 years to add 10% to the number currently in circulation.  The effect on prices will be negigible.
  • I have seen stuff on other forums about the authenticity of some of the “original” Klons doing the rounds. Particularly as the circuit was/is gooped, I cant imagine it would be that difficult to make an authentic looking clone. Also, copies of the housing and knobs are readily available.

If I was looking to pick up an original Klon, I would be all over those EBay auctions just because there could be no question about the provenance of what you are getting. As an investment it would make a lot more sense than buying one for the same money from another less reliable source.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Wish I'd thought of it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I have seen stuff on other forums about the authenticity of some of the “original” Klons doing the rounds. Particularly as the circuit was/is gooped, I cant imagine it would be that difficult to make an authentic looking clone. Also, copies of the housing and knobs are readily available.

If I was looking to pick up an original Klon, I would be all over those EBay auctions just because there could be no question about the provenance of what you are getting. As an investment it would make a lot more sense than buying one for the same money from another less reliable source.

There are 284 followers of the Ebay seller account.  Not bad for an account that has only sold one item.

I take it that it is definitely Bill Finnegan behind that account!
  • I can only presume that it is him. Various guitar publications have reported it. Presumably if it wasn’t Bill, he would have said so already
    crunchman said:
    If you read the text on the listing, then he's selling these himself, separately from the ones he was building for his friend.

Probably doesn't change the market at all.  That Ebay account was set up in December, and so far has one sale.

Even if you add in the ones he makes for his friend to sell, I guess it will be one a month or thereabouts.
    One a month for now.... 

He's also selling via Reverb, no?

Again, more power to him. I just want the sticker removed!

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3988
    soma1975 said:Again, more power to him. I just want the sticker removed!
    I hope he prints a special one out and sticks it on your forehead.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sadly any hype you find there is 100% of my own making. 

• BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    edited February 2019
    He’s selling 1 a month on eBay? That’s brilliant. He’s essentially just settling down to retire with a whole of life annuity, and costs only a couple of hours work a week. Good on him I say, why not?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    Bill makes a good pedal and isn't hurting anyone. If people value his work so highly, then there is a market for it and good luck to him. 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271

timhulio said:
    Is the goop really necessary at this point?
    Anyone know - would he be likely to be using components that are recently manufactured or working fthru supplies he's had from years ago?