Looking for name of amp

What's Hot
I'm a new member, so I'm sure I don't have access to attachments or anything else that fancy.  There is a discussion going on in a facebook page called Kansas (band) where there are pics from the dressing room of the band Kansas.  In these pics, there are two amps visible, and it's thought they are practice amps.  They both have Peterson Strobe tuners on them, which aren't part of the amps.

The pics aren't that clear so zooming in isn't really possible.  But, there are slides instead of potentiometers or a combination of both.  There is also what looks like a 45 in the center of these controls.  The grill is black cloth and the logo is down in the lower left hand corner of the amp...right hand, as you're looking at the picture.

We've already involved Rich Williams in the conversation and he doesn't remember anything about these amps, because it was from back in the mid 1970s.  Kerry Livgren is in one pic and we've contacted him, but he hasn't responded.  He probably won't, because he doesn't want to say he doesn't remember, either.  LOL.

If you can identify the name brand of the amps, you will solve a discussion that has gone on for nearly a week now.  Rick Yon is the admin of the group.  You can view the posts and the pics without joining the group, but of course, if you want to post, you'll have to join.  I'm sure Rick will let you join rather quickly, if you tell him you know the maker of the amps.

There is no prize for knowing the amp name, other than making quite a few musicians happy and allowing them to finally move on to other things.  We'd appreciate it, if anybody does have any smarts on this to either post here, or maybe join the group and post the name there.  I wish I could post an attachment of the pics.

If I'm able to post a link, here it is...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Haven't a clue about the amps, but welcome to the forum.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cosmiccarrotcosmiccarrot Frets: 91
    edited February 2019
    It's a 1975 Seamoon 45 amp, solid state. Bottom left is the name Moon...

Looks like they later changed into the ADA company, pedals and racks?

Found this quote from someone who had one..
    Built in 1975 as a prototype by Seamoon out of Berekely, CA known more famously for their 'Funk Machine" Autowah.

The story goes that they brought the amp along with them to some trade shows, gave it to a few local jazz players, and then were bought out by some other company, leaving the amp in the abyss of forgotten one offs.

Its 45 watts of solid state through an Eminance Alnico speaker, which doesnt sound like it would be all that impressive, but it really does get quite loud. The breakup is also very natural and creamy, and I say that even without the caveat of "for a solid state." It just sounds...good.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for this!  I guess the B&W pic didn't help the cause any, either.  This looks like a vibrant orange color.  That surely would have helped someone figure it out.  You have solved the mystery.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom