Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

70’s Fenders? (Strat in guitarguitar)

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
I’ve also avoided 70s due to the reputation for being heavy and not great quality but while I was on the lookout for a 60s tele or strat I keep spotting later models that look cool.    

Anyone in Glasgow tried the 79 strat GG have in stock?  

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/pxp181101334364006-2256917--fender-1979-stratocaster-natural-mn-pre-owned-s90802

Or have any thoughts about 70’s Fenders in general?   Are the tele any better than strats or stick to looking at older guitars?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You’ve really got to play it as it’s not that 70s fenders were bad, in my experience the ratio between good and bad guitars wasn’t as great as the 60s.  Weight, neck pocket and pickups are variable but when you get a good one it’s as good as any era imho
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    +1 for getting your paws on the guitar in question and forming your own opinion.

My musical collaborator has owned a 1977 hardtail Strat for almost forty years. Despite the neck pocket fit being less than ideal, the guitar played and sounded fine. (Velvet Hammer pickups may have had something to do with that.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    edited February 2019
    I own a 1979 Stratocaster. Like many 70s Stratocasters it’s quite heavy and the body contouring isn’t that wonderful, with the tummy and arm cuts being less pronounced than on the 60s models. The pickups have a great smooth sound which I really like, the fingerboard is made of nice dark rosewood and is a 7.25 radius. The neck is a quite deep C shape and very comfortable to play, the body/ neck joint is perfect and has never been a problem.  I like my 79 Stratocaster, (I also have a nice 1975 Telecaster), and think that the condemnation of them has been a bit overdone. Yes Fenders quality control was a bit slack in the 70s but many of the problems were fairly minor and most of them have been easily sorted by owners over the years.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Thanks chaps.     I’d definitely want to play before I buy anything but don’t want to drive across the country if the chances are slim of anything being a good player.  

I just saw this one with a Floyd and emgs- that’s an extreme way to “improve” it.  Both hideous and cool at the same time.   
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303035861027
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    I've got a 76 hard tail strat and had it for 37 years. It needed the neck shimming and settling in the big neck socket. I've replaced the three way switch with a 5 way and it's been played to the point of just about needing a refret. The original owner had replaced the bridge pickup with a dimarzio (it was the 70s).
    It's a great guitar and well gigged by me. I love it even though its heavy it plays like your favourite  dairy spread. Lovely C shape neck.
  • Frank Murphy at Frailers usually has a couple of good 70’s Fenders in. Only issue I’ve ever had with them is the neck picket but it’s an easy fix. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1344
    The point has been made many times before, with all guitars, there is significant variation between "identical" instruments. There are great guitars and munters of all eras. You can only judge with it in your hands.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • I've got a 74 hard tail that I've had since 79. The neck pocket needed shimming when I bought it but it's been great ever since. 

If it plays the the way you like and it sounds the way you like then you know what to do. It's a guitar, not an investment. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    I'm 'avin that!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited February 2019
    I have owned mine from new for over 45 years - if anything was 'wrong' with it I think it would have been moved on by now...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    we have a 79 & an 81 big headstocks

apart from the bridge made of cheese & the gap in the neck pocket they are great, if a little weighty 
     the x1? bridge pickup is noice too

go try it is the best advice
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9308
    The 70s Fenders I’ve played have mostly been junk, but I’m sure there are some good ones. The later you go in the decade, the worse they became.

That one in particular looks a touch pricey considering non original pickups, the refret and the lacquer removal. Prices might have gone up, but I think £1400 is pushing their luck 
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Looking at prices, the value of these does seem to have gone up recently?

I’m sure only a year ago they were more around the 1k area, a search on Reverb shows the cheapest at £1.4k (stock, vs the GG one)

• I've generally found the early 70s Fenders to be much much better than the late 70s ones. In fact my Number One guitar that I'd never sell is a 71 strat... I've owned it since the mid 90s & love it... I did once play a 79 strat that was awesome... but all the others I've ever come accross were pretty dull guitars, heavy, thick plastic finish, poor contours, didn't sound great... For some reason 79 seems to be a year they made many many guitars, or at least used the S9 serial number on loads from that era... as you tend to see more of these for sale than any other year in the decade...
    Julian

Owner of the New (in 2019) guitar shop in Frome, Somerset. Coffee House Guitars. Selling a range of high end used guitars.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    Old Fender decal serial number prefixes are no guarantee of exact year of manufacture.

A friend of mine has a Stratocaster with a 76 prefix but all info points to it being a 1977.

The Shultz era E prefix remained in use way after it should have been superseded. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I am of the distinct opinion that Fender in the 70s did quality control to the extent that the best guitars were kept in the domestic market and the dogs went to export. Just my experience. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    Old Fender decal serial number prefixes are no guarantee of exact year of manufacture.

A friend of mine has a Stratocaster with a 76 prefix but all info points to it being a 1977
    I've got one here with an S9 serial and 82 date on the heel. It's a great sounding guitar, if a bit weighty.
  • If the weight was right and the pocket tight id have one in a heartbeat.