Anyone ever fitted car remote locking?

What's Hot
I recently bought a Hyundai i10 which has central locking but not remote - you have to use the key in the driver's door and that unlocks everything. I just discovered these 'universal' remote locking kits on ebay and I was thinking about giving it a go. Since the car already has central locking, I'm thinking I just need one actuator to pop the driver's door and the rest should take care of itself.

I'm pretty clueless about car electrics though. I guess there must be wiring to the driver's lock, so that it can trigger the locks around the rest of the car when you lock/unlock the car. So I'm thinking I should be able to tap into that without having to run wires anywhere else in the car...sound right?

Any recommendations for decent kits or good guides on how to do this? TBH I'd be happy to pay someone to fit it but I'm not sure the guys I use locally have done this kind of thing...I'll check. I don't want to pay a fortune for someone to spend all day figuring something out they have never done before - I can do that myself!  =)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• m_cm_c Frets: 1239
    I'm just about to head to work, but as you've said, given the car already has central locking, it should just be a case of finding the right wires, and mimicking the switch in the drivers door.
    Only gotcha might be if the drivers door doesn't have a motor.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    edited February 2019
    Ta...I'm assuming there won't be a motor in the drivers door tbh. The kit includes a motor that pushes a rod up and down and you screw that rod to the one that operates the existing lock. In theory. 
  • Like this...

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Speak to Hyundai. I'm pretty sure I've seen people driving Hyundai's with remote locking. There maybe a kit to upgrade what you have.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited February 2019
    Yes I've done it on an l200, it was rather easy in the end and all wires I needed I tapped in to in the driver footwell. Fitted a kit from eBay I think was, it was a cheap one any way I know that much 
  • Cool...how do you know which wires?
    Cool...how do you know which wires?

I beleive it was by googling for an owner's/manufacturers forum, it's basically indicator wires (if you want them to flash as got unlock/lock) power and think that was it ,like you said the replacement motor deals with drivers door that then unlocks rest of doors already.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah, ok...that might be a bit ambitious for me :)
    Ah, ok...that might be a bit ambitious for me :)

It's essentially find correct wire, cut a bit of outer sleeve, solder/scotch lock a wire in to it. Getting the right wires is the only bit you have to research.