New Model Army

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
I like a bit of NMA in their heyday, Justin Sullivan wrote a good tune and some good lyrics at times. Here's a few of my favourites.

Any other NMA fans out there?

'Here Comes The War' - from 1992's The Love Of Hopeless Causes, written against the backdrop of the horrific Ygoslav War and Bosnian Genocide. 

"While a thousand miles away, in a warehouse complex down by the river,
Young money men play paintball games
Here comes the war - put out the lights on the Age of Reason"

The video is a bit lame but it's a good song delivered with fury.

'The World', opening tune from 1989's Thunder and Consolation album. the ECO warrior army charges.

"And if one day the final fire explodes across the whitened sky
I know you've said you'd rather die and make it over fast
With courage from your bravest friends, waiting outside for the end
With no bitterness but an innocence that I can't seem to grasp
I know somehow I will survive - this fury just to stay alive
So drunk with sickness, weak with pain, I can walk the hills one last time
Scarred and smiling, dying slow, I'll scream to no one left at all
I told you so, I told you so, I told you so . ."

'Spirit of the Falklands' John Peel Session 1984, better than the album version.

"Exciting pictures on News at Ten (I couldn't believe it)
Read all the crap on all the front pages (I never believed it)
Fight the good fight 
There's dead men in the South Atlantic
It's meant to warm our hearts
To think that they died for you and me
Oh God, what a farce, what a farce"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited February 2019
    Me mate's been in the band since 2004..Marshall Gill...rum lad. 

Here he is with his own band Blackballed.....

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The soundtrack of me life! Well, the last 25 years or so. Probably my most-watched live band.

I took my Mum to see New Model Army for her 70th birthday, she also wears a T&C silver pendant (no Celtic tattoos though). She loves 'em!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had one of the early albums which I thought was great and went to see them live when I was a student. At normal student gigs I roughly recognised most of the crowd but the two gigs I remember where the hall was full of people definitely with the band and not in the Poly were Aswad and NMA. I remember it as a good gig but a definite sense of I didn't belong and that killed the band for me at the time.
    [Aswad, however, I've continued to love and seen again]
    Still, the early stuff was a bit of a bench mark in bass tone as I remember it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited February 2019
    I saw them a few times back in the late 80s, always impressed and a little scared of the barebacks on shoulders that dominated the audience. Was at the front at Cambridge Corn Exchange for one gig, I felt Moose's bass in my chest rather than heard it!

• Me mate's been in the band since 2004..Marshall Gill...rum lad. 

Here he is with his own band Blackballed.....

That videos all a bit 'Sir Digby Chicken Caesar'

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7864
    edited February 2019
    I’ve seen them live about 40-50 times. They went off the boil around ‘Purity’, and I never bothered with of the newer stuff.  

I might go see them again in the next year. They were fab live. 

• vizviz Frets: 10694
    edited February 2019
    TheMarlin said:
    I’ve seen them live about 40-50 times. They went off the boil around ‘Purity’, and I never bothered with of the newer stuff.  

I might go see them again tomorrow in the next year. They were fab live. 

50 times, nice one! They’re my favourite band along with Stiff Little Fingers, The Damned and Steve Vai but only seen them a few times. 

Love them so much. I think my favourite song of all is Ballad.

https://youtu.be/ExynEdyfe9w

They’ve never written a bad song, though I agree the pre-impurity stuff is stronger. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited February 2019
    A solid performance here in 1997, no to long before Robert Heaton left, Justin really gives it some and sings perfectly in tune. he loves his '70s SGs:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2019
    viz said:
    TheMarlin said:

I might go see them again tomorrow in the next year. They were fab live. 

50 times, nice one! They’re my favourite band along with Stiff Little Fingers, The Damned and Steve Vai but only seen them a few times. 

Love them so much. I think my favourite song of all is Ballad.

https://youtu.be/ExynEdyfe9w

They’ve never written a bad song, though I agree the pre-impurity stuff is stronger. 
    I’ve seen the Damned at least 80 times. I first saw New Model Army support The Damned at Finabury Park in 1986, and was immediately hooked. I just got bored of them when they started doing ballads, though the song ‘Ballad’ is fantastic. 

In fact, Ghost of Cain is one of their best albums ever!

Good new is that I have heard they are back in form
    Stuart Morrow is probably my favourite bass player of all time. I love his front and centre punchy sound. He was a massive part of the aggressive powerful sound they used to get, in the studio, and live. 

Moose Harris was decent too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlin said:
    Stuart Morrow is probably my favourite bass player of all time. I love his front and centre punchy sound. He was a massive part of the aggressive powerful sound they used to get, in the studio, and live. 

I preferred Moose's more traditional tone to Stuart's hard edgy tone. Nelson's bass on the live version of Whirlwind on Raw Melody Men is one of my all time favourite bass lines and tones. The end section is brilliant and compliments the song as it spirals to it's end crescendo perfectly.

• Alls I know is my family (in Ireland) can be traced back to the NMA :open_mouth: 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited February 2019
    TheMarlin said:

I preferred Moose's more traditional tone to Stuart's hard edgy tone. Nelson's bass on the live version of Whirlwind on Raw Melody Men is one of my all time favourite bass lines and tones. The end section is brilliant and compliments the song as it spirals to it's end crescendo perfectly.

I know Nel (Nelson) a bit. Lives few miles up the road from me and stood in on bass in a band I was in a few years ago. He's a rather good guitarist now (he got promoted ) in the surf band Surfquake...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    edited February 2019
    NMA were the first band I ever saw live, in Bristol in the early 80s. Good gig although we were young, like 14 or so,  and shouldn’t have been in there drinking really.  There was a big fight broke out while they were playing and the bouncers ushered us out the back door away from it all.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Anyone seeing them this year?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • I thought about it, but haven’t bothered. I’d rather remember them in their hay day.   I listened to their new album, didn’t do much for me. Load of old ballads. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TheMarlin said:
    I thought about it, but haven’t bothered. I’d rather remember them in their hay day.   I listened to their new album, didn’t do much for me. Load of old ballads. 
    Fair enough!

No-one else? i’m seeing them Friday in Cambridge.