Disposing of an amp

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
Our bassist's long term rehearsal room amp has finally gone pop (smoke, nasty smell and fart noises) and he has no way of getting rid of it. I volunteered (i'm nice like that see) to do it for him but what's the best way? Local tip? Should I leave it by the recycling bins? Anyone want it?

It's a Laney 1x15 combo, rather chunky - possible the RB series. I'm in Wandsworth. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 7082
    Local dump.  There should be a skip for electrical items.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    ebay - collection only - describe what happened - make it VERY clear that it isn't working- someone will think they can fix it or salvage parts - start bid at 99p.
  • I've picked up a couple of amps at the local tip. 
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Don't bin the speaker unless it's definitely dead - 15" speakers of any reasonable power rating are worth £50 minimum to anyone who needs to repair something with a blown one.

There are also a lot of other useful parts in that amp even if it's not economically repairable - don't throw it away unless you really can't find anyone who wants it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ColsCols Frets: 7082
    Are you sure the smoke, nasty smell and fart noises was the amp and not the bass player?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6712
    Replace the transformer..... 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    merlin said:
    Replace the transformer..... 
    It won't be that. 95%+ certainty it will be blown power transistors.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Cols said:
    Are you sure the smoke, nasty smell and fart noises was the amp and not the bass player?
    For once, yes. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom