Thinking of selling J35

What's Hot
had my j35 for a few years now but just don’t play it enough. I also have a guild m120 & always play it. Sound wise the j35 blows the guild away. 

I prefer the satin neck of the guild opposed to that of gloss j35 & the smaller body. 

I suppose I am just after something that feels like the guild but with a bigger sound.

I am an inexperienced guitarist & just a strummer. Any suggestions? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    without the dreadnaught size you will struggle to get that big sound. 
    The J35 does have a slightly more chunky neck than other Gibson slope shoulders. 

Martin 000 or OM will get you partly there maybe and they have the low oval and performance necks, not sure of which on what model. Martin spec combinations are complicated to say the least. 

Twice the price  of of the second hand value of the J35 though. 

Ive played a few J35s and really liked them. A lot. 

Funny enough I picked up a Sigma JM-SG-45 today, ex demo. 
    It has a satin finish slim neck and, to a point, competes directly with the Gibson. Yes it cant handle the hard strumming like a Gibson can but it’s very impressive

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I tried a Martin 00017sm some time ago. Really liked that guitar. Regrettably I hesitated on a Taylor 712e last year. Definitely should’ve bought that one
    Those 12 fret S Martins are super nice in my opinion. There’s a D15S on eBay at the mo If only there was infinite space and money.....
  • Martin 000 would be a good move as stated above. I had a 000-15 for a while, loved the all mahogany sound, so warm, great for finger style but also surprisingly good for strumming.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Jontommy said:
    had my j35 for a few years now but just don’t play it enough. I also have a guild m120 & always play it. Sound wise the j35 blows the guild away. 

I prefer the satin neck of the guild opposed to that of gloss j35 & the smaller body. 

I suppose I am just after something that feels like the guild but with a bigger sound.

I am an inexperienced guitarist & just a strummer. Any suggestions? 
    Take the gloss off the J35's neck with some wire wool. That can make a huge difference to the feel, and if you're careful not to overdo it, is reversible with some T-Cut if you change your mind.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Jontommy said:
    I tried a Martin 00017sm some time ago. Really liked that guitar. Regrettably I hesitated on a Taylor 712e last year. Definitely should’ve bought that one

https://notomguitars.com/products/2015-taylor-712e-1
  • GomersGomers Frets: 17
    If you can find one, I'd suggest a Gibson LG-2 American Eagle.  I took a punt on ebay and picked one up a couple of months ago and it's really surprised me at how good it is.  Has a degree of that Gibson dryness but you can dig in to it as it has a slightly deeper body than an equivalent 00 size guitar.  It has the same neck profile as a current J45, so a little slimmer than your J35.  My J35 didn't last too long with me due to the fuller neck but I found my J45 had a fuller sound than the 35, think this is down to the difference in placement of the bracing.
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8